BC125AT: How long should I wait for the "Charge Complete" message to show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumble_Bee

Hello everyone,

I'm new to scanning so please bear with me!

I purchased a Uniden UBC-125XLT (UK model number) at the weekend (USA / Canada Equivalent - BC125Atom I believe).

The rechargeable batteries (supplied with 2300mAh batteries) obviously needed charging fully before use so I plugged them in and left the unit charging – showing the “Charging” display on the unit.

I assumed that given about 15 hours the message on the display would turn to show “Charge complete”.

Alas, after 21 hours of charge (and with warm batteries) the message had not changed and so I got a bit concerned and disconnected the unit and just started using it.

I am not electronically minded I’m afraid so am not sure what the correct time frame for charging should be, but as the manual talks about 14 hours max charge when on PC charge I am not sure if the unit has a problem recognising a full charge or whether indeed there is a known problem in this area.

How long should I need to wait for an initial first (or any other) full rechargeable battery charge – does anyone know?

Also if I only needed to wait 14 hours would charging the batteries on the unit for 20 hours give cause for concern to the unit itself?

Thanks for your help.

Scan125

The Uniden 125 series of scanners charge their batteries by use of a timer. You can set the charge time in hours. Once the time it up then the "Charging" message in the display (when the scanner is powered off) will disappear.

With the scanner turned on you can check the approximate state of charge by pressing the multi-function scroll button down. In the top right corner of the display you will see the current battery voltage displayed.

Leaving your scanner connected to a computer can leave to battery overcharging and loss of battery like. There are 3 things you can do:

1) Remove the batteries
2) Set the battery switch to Alkaline
3) Leave batteries in and switch set to NiMh and set a charge time of 1 hour

The Scan125 Control Program is able to set charge time, show battery voltage and estimated charge state of the batteries. Can also do loads of other things :)

See my signature for link to Scan125

Bumble_Bee

Thanks Nick - As long as it's just the batteries that are affected I think I can live with that.

I'm going to look at an external charger unit for NiMh batteries going forward as this will keep them well clear of my scanner.

I have seen the "Scan125" control panel but still getting use to understanding the whole "scanner concept" yet.

I liked the idea of a PC friendly (compatible) scanner hence why I went for this Uniden model.

In the owners manual it talks about getting scanner drivers from "http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/BC125AT". Is this just the drivers or is there software here as well (or is this where scan125 comes into its own?)

Cheers.

questnz

Friend, DON'T charge your batteries in the scanner, period. As you already said
Get quality battery charger, get quality set of batteries eg, Panasonic Enelopes and charge outside your scanner.

Scan125

In the owners manual it talks about getting scanner drivers from "http://info.uniden.com/UnidenMan4/BC125AT". Is this just the drivers or is there software here as well (or is this where scan125 comes into its own?)

Cheers.

If you have Windows 10 then Windows should have correct/compatible driver.

For Window's 7, 8.1 and 10 then you need the later Uniden Universal Driver which is on the link you already have. (ignore the first one referenced for OS other than 8.1).

Alternatively you can get the driver from my Scan125 download page (https://www.nick-bailey.co.uk/scan125/download/ )

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber

Clicking on the link will answer your question faster than I could type one.

Status
Not open for further replies.