How Long to Get Actual Paper License?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4HBZ

I took my Technician test on 2/14 and had my call sign in the ULS on 2/17; however, I have not received my actual paper license from the FCC yet. How long does that typically take? It's only been about 4 business days, but I was just curious how long it typically takes them to send it.

Thanks,
Stephen
KK4HBZ

bezking

You should expect it within two weeks of having passed your test. Also, it's good to note that if you lose/damage your paper license (you should carry the wallet-size one they send you at all times), you can request a that a reprint be sent to you for free.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
"You should expect it within two weeks of having passed your test."

More accurately that's within two weeks after it appears in the database. Therein lies a problem depending on how the VEs handle filing, on paper it takes a year and a day for the FCC to process it while "electronically" it goes very fast... welcome to the machine. Then there are the VEs, it all depends on how long they sit on it before filing either way.

In your case you're halfway there and loaded for bear, now you're waiting on the printer to spit it out and the mailing machine to do its stuff. Oh, delivery should be no more than 4 business days after mailing, the USPS is usually pretty quick about things.

Zagadka

I just received mine today. I took the test Feb 11th, granted on the 17th, printed on the 18th, rec'd today the 24th. 13 days - would that all .gov agencies worked that well.

73 de KK4HBK

KK4HBZ

I just received mine today. I took the test Feb 11th, granted on the 17th, printed on the 18th, rec'd today the 24th. 13 days - would that all .gov agencies worked that well.

73 de KK4HBK

Mine printed on 2/18 as well, but has not gotten here yet. Hopefully it won't be much longer. I had my call sign in 3 days. There was a holiday in there as well, so maybe that delayed things.

Thanks... 73

KK4HBZ

It actually came in the mail yesterday.

Thanks to everyone for your posts. It's also good to know I can get a free re-print if needed. Now I need to get it laminated (the good, hard lamination). I guess that means a trip to FedEx Office this week.

Thanks again.

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
I passed the general exam on 2-4-12, showed up on ULS on 2-13, granted on 2-22, and paper in the box on 2-26.

Ron

reedeb

I copied mine and keep the original in my safety box. Wallet in the wallet and the larger one hangs on my wall. [BTW before anyone says you cannot, FCC say you CAN]

ToneBurst

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
I want to help people understand a point about the paper "license" you get from the FCC. The paper they send you is NOT a license, per FCC official opinion. It actually does not even prove you are licensed. The actual license appears in the FCC ULS Database, and per the FCC, that is just a station grant and federal compliance thing they have to do because of a certain federal act that mandates all person licensed by the FCC to be publicly listed.

Confused yet? I have been as well, and after speaking with Laura Smith via telephone, it seems that your actual license is kept in the FCC internal database and only Bill Cross (wireless bureau Chief) has access to it.Turns out the FCC just issues the paper so that you can throw it on your wall at home and it really has no federal auth or other legal standing behind it.

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
ToneBurst,

This is the way that I have understood it was for many years. As soon as your name and callsign appear in the FCC data base you could begin using it. The paper was just a formality.

When I sat for my general there was a guy at the door chatting on his little Baofeng. He took a seat next to me and the VEC then asked him if she could take his wallet license home, copy it, and then mail it to him. He said "well then I can't talk on my radio"...I told him out of the side of my mouth "yes you can as long as you're in the FCC database".

Another VEC said that I was correct and a third VEC took a picture of the license to serve as the required copy.

Ron

reedeb

I want to help people understand a point about the paper "license" you get from the FCC. The paper they send you is NOT a license, per FCC official opinion. It actually does not even prove you are licensed. The actual license appears in the FCC ULS Database, and per the FCC, that is just a station grant and federal compliance thing they have to do because of a certain federal act that mandates all person licensed by the FCC to be publicly listed.

Confused yet? I have been as well, and after speaking with Laura Smith via telephone, it seems that your actual license is kept in the FCC internal database and only Bill Cross (wireless bureau Chief) has access to it.Turns out the FCC just issues the paper so that you can throw it on your wall at home and it really has no federal auth or other legal standing behind it.

Pure 100% BS IF requested you MUST produce said piece of paper on demand to show proof that you are indeed legally licensed to use said equipment. The fact it is in a database means nothing as I hold a drivers license it is in a data base BUT if I'm stopped I better have it on me.

davedaver1

Premium Subscriber
Pure 100% BS IF requested you MUST produce said piece of paper on demand to show proof that you are indeed legally licensed to use said equipment.

Really. Where did you get that? The FCC grants you the authority to operate. It does not rely on possession of the paper to do so.

From the FCC site:

Q: Can I operate my station as soon as I see that information about my amateur operator/primary station license grant appears on the amateur service data base?

Yes. You have authority to operate when the information about your license grant appears on the data base
Q: Does this mean that I don't have to wait until the license document arrives in the mail?

That is correct. You do not have to have the license document in your possession in order to operate an amateur station at a location where communications are regulated by the FCC. See Part 97. Appendix 1.

FCC: Wireless Services: Amateur Radio Service: About Amateur: Communications & Operations

reedeb

Many yrs back I had an FCC agent into a dispatch center checking things out [doing a spot inspection] he saw my 2 mter HT and asked to see my license. I dug it out of mu wallet and showed it to him. When I got my ticket my Elmer told me to ALWAYS have a copy of the license with me always as I HAD to have it with me. I don't play games with it and is ALWAYS with me and hanging up in my room right by the radios

hhrj

Premium Subscriber
Many yrs back I had an FCC agent into a dispatch center checking things out [doing a spot inspection] he saw my 2 mter HT and asked to see my license. I dug it out of mu wallet and showed it to him. When I got my ticket my Elmer told me to ALWAYS have a copy of the license with me always as I HAD to have it with me. I don't play games with it and is ALWAYS with me and hanging up in my room right by the radios

So what you are implying is that just having a 2m HT in your possession is reason to check that you have a ham ticket? Not so, however to press the transmit button is a different story.

Just how long ago was this? I would imagine not recently or in the last 25-30 years. Maybe this "inspector" was a dilbert and really didn't know any better.

These are not the good old days, the rules and regulations have changed and it's your responsibility to stay abreast of any updates and changes that effect your privilege to operate an amrad station.

BTW, if you run into to a situation where the FCC comes knocking at your door and you tell them that your Elmer told you to do it that way... Well guess what, they are looking at you because you and you alone are responsible for knowing the regulations.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.