• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How long to receive APX radio from Motorola dealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ma8007

Premium Subscriber
Hello Everyone,
Just wondering to anyone who ordered a APX radio from a Motorola dealer.How long did it actually take to get the radio?My dealer did give me a time frame however just wondering your wait time..
Thanks

N5XPM

Hello Everyone,
Just wondering to anyone who ordered a APX radio from a Motorola dealer.How long did it actually take to get the radio?My dealer did give me a time frame however just wondering your wait time..
Thanks

Pretty tricky question to answer. More detail about which model and features might help a little, but radios received a year ago may have totally different delivery schedules from today.

ma8007

Premium Subscriber
Ordered a APX 8000..I realize things are little different now..Just anxious to get my new toy.

ecps92

And what time-frame did your dealer provide ?
Hello Everyone,
Thanks

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Is this dealer consumer friendly, willing to sell to anyone or do you have an arrangement with this dealer? This would be nice to know also. Its sometimes a struggle just finding a dealer willing to sell commercial radios to the general public.

jruta

Three years ago I approached my longtime dealer who I’d become friendly with over the years and asked him to order me an APX6k. He wasn’t even sure he could order a single unit like that at the time (he is a full dealer). Turns out he was able to for me, unfortunately I cannot recall how long it took to get, I want to say two weeks or so if memory serves correct? Actually this was closer to four years ago. I’m sure if I’d approached another dealer who didn’t know me I’d been given the “no” I’m not sure if that’s changed. Good luck with your acquisition.

Tech21

depends what you ordered it with but it's no more than a couple weeks. Due to APX lion batteries they get shipped ground.

dmichaels18

I had a recent delivery a month ago, took M two months to get everything pieced together. To be fair it was multiple consolettes and remote units, however it took some time.

I ordered an APX8000 from my local Motorola dealer back in December/January and it took 2 weeks for it to arrive. They told me when I went there to order it that around that time everything they were ordering from Motorola was taking about 2 weeks to arrive approximately.

wa1lad

Still waiting on my 2 APX-8000 NEXT radios. Ordered 31 MAR 2020...........

wa1lad

I am well aware of that.
The regular 8k (and 8k XE) is a great FD/PD radio, the APX NEXT is a cell device that can do radio and is way too bulky for guys working the streets. My 40 APX8000 all bands took abt 19 days to receive, piecemeal...... a few every day or 2 starting on day 19 after they were ordered. But the 20 APX8500 all band mobiles were all delivered on the same day, 6 days after the order posted. Go figure.......

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
But, you didn't answer the question. Did you order APX 8000, or APX NEXT? You stated you were waiting for "2 APX-8000 NEXT radios". There is no such model as "APX-8000 NEXT", it's one or the other. :unsure:

wa1lad

Since you're hanging on my answer and my reply clearly stated APX NEXT, I ordered APX8000XE 800/700/VHF/UHF radios and 2 APX NEXT cell devices. Everyone OK now?(y):sleep:

dmichaels18

are you guys buying these to use as scanners/receivers ?

Those guys potentially could be, however given the cost of an APX next vs. the functionality, I would highly doubt it. Most likely public safety guys as I am myself, and couldn’t possibly imagine spending $6-$10k of my own money just to scan. Uniden makes a great product for that at a much cheaper price.

billpritjr

Those guys potentially could be, however given the cost of an APX next vs. the functionality, I would highly doubt it. Most likely public safety guys as I am myself, and couldn’t possibly imagine spending $6-$10k of my own money just to scan. Uniden makes a great product for that at a much cheaper price.

yeah I was wondering. thank you

dmichaels18

Since you're hanging on my answer and my reply clearly stated APX NEXT, I ordered APX8000XE 800/700/VHF/UHF radios and 2 APX NEXT cell devices. Everyone OK now?(y):sleep:

Just curious, what do you plan to use the cell features for on the Nexts. I’ve seen the videos and webinars on them, and think they’re awesome products, just seems like you would need a Lot of back bone systems in place to fully integrate something like that. Do they operate as a cell phone too, say with Verizon??

And by cell phone I mean true phone calls and messaging. Would be neat for admin such as chiefs and BC’s.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The APX NEXT is not a cell phone. It is the combination of an APX radio with an LTE/WiFi smart device that runs a limited set of authorized apps. Those two halves of the NEXT run on separate processors so that the radio side will boot up as quickly as a standard APX, and is unaffected if the smart device half of the radio should fail. The NEXT is provisioned on FirstNet (AT&T) in the U.S. or Bell Mobility in Canada. The SIM card is locked to the NEXT and cannot be used in any other smart device, however it does appear that you might be able to insert a SIM from a different carrier such as Verizon to get on their LTE network, assuming the NEXT operates on those LTE bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.