How long to speeding tickets stick ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Airdorn

Premium Subscriber
Hey all.

About 8 years ago I was driving through Texas and I got a ticket from one of the highway police there along I-40. I never paid it. The cop checked the box about "speeding in a work zone" and I think my ticket was more because of that, even though it was 2 am and there were no workers present! But I digress.. :)

I was wondering if that ticket will stick with me forever, or do they eventually just expire. Anybody here know off-hand? Or just in general?

Yes, yes.. I know.. I can just pay the thing. But I don't want to if I can just wait it out. I rarely ever have occasion to enter Texas anyway.

Thanks

Pimpala03

If you ever plan on going into any sort of LE career (federal, state, or in Texas) I'd get it cleared up. If you know you are going to go back to Texas, I would get it cleared up. It varies from place to place but the warrant may be so old they won't do anything about it.

Airdorn

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, they send me a nasty letter a couple of times a year basically chastising me for not paying it and offering me a very convenient way to pay for it using a credit card.

kg9qm

There surely has been a warrant issued, and those don't expire.
Why not just pay it and stop worrying about it? Were you actually NOT speeding?

Airdorn

Premium Subscriber
I was speeding. It was 2 am and apparently I was in a work zone because the officer checked that box.

This was before they finally added the " (while workers are present) " language.

The ticket is for $250. I don't want to pay it unless I absolutely have to. Personally, I don't think driving 8 MPH over the limit is worth $250 in any state. :)

jf222

I'm surprised they haven't suspended your driving licence in Texas - and if they are a reciprocal state, your state will suspend it too - get stopped or try to renew your licence and you will find out.

JLM7424

Premium Subscriber
Take it from a Trucker , I know about out of state speed tickets.

I Understand money maybe an issue but if i were you I would get it paid it wont go away
Infact it will more then likley gain interest its $250 8 yrs ago i would check it might be $500-600 now .

If they catch up with your car will get impounded on the spot that alone will cost ya $100.00 to get it out of impound & towing fees.

you'll be arrested finger printed it will go on your criminal record, and you will sit in jail till the next bizz court day to see Judge /magistrate.

Just something to think about !

Airdorn

Premium Subscriber
I live in Tennessee. I pass through Texas maybe once every couple of years, on the way to Nevada. I got that ticket in Texas in 2000. I have gotten tickets since then in Tennessee.

I know that certain states bordering Tennessee have some kind of interstate cooperation going on, because if I get a ticket in Arkansas, for example, and don't pay it, Tennessee will suspend my license.

This doesn't seem to be the case for Tennessee and Texas, though.

I don't plan on paying it unless something happens and I have to in order to renew my license or something like that. Right now I can use it as an excuse to never enter Texas again and see my family, haha.

SLWilson

Now !

You are lucky that Texas apparently DIDN'T participate in the nationwide agreement on tickets back then.

In Ohio (it has been in effect SEVERAL years now) if you get a ticket and do NOT pay it, they (Ohio BMV) notifies your home state. Then, they suspend your driver's license there!

Next time you get stopped, you're screwed!

Actually, you might bee anyway...Red the web page....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driver_License_Agreement

Steve/KB8FAR :lol:

Last edited:

hoser147

Airdorn said:
I live in Tennessee. I pass through Texas maybe once every couple of years, on the way to Nevada. .
Airdorn, your flirtin with disaster. All its going to take is for someone to get in a fender bender with you, or a tail light out, or something like a break down or flat tire and you get stopped or an officer stops to see if you need assistance, and you will end up a guest of the state of Texas. Its far better to just pay it and forget it. Either way best of luck........Hoser

zz0468

QRT
I've known people who didn't pay for a ticket, and had it go from a $100 fine to a $5000 fine. And when it gets up that high, they WILL track you down. You should just pay the damned thing and be done with it. It will NEVER go away, and one day it WILL bite you harder than you can imagine. You now probably have a failure to appear on your record, and in a lot of states that's an arrest warrant.

D

DaveNF2G

It is very likely that your TN license is not valid in TX any more. The state with the beef can suspend your driving privilege within their state even if your home state takes no action. The Compact requires your home state to help another state enforce their traffic laws against you, but non-participation does not limit the powers of the state issuing the citation.

chrismol1

Premium Subscriber
My father got a ticket in 88' and he got a letter last year saying that his license will be suspended from a ticket 20 years ago. LOL

SAR923

Yep, just pay it off. You aren't going to arrested in Tennessee for a warrant out of Texas but each year, the computer systems are getting better and more states are entering into interstate compacts for traffic law violators. It's probably already showing up on your insurance background and you're paying higher rates because of it. At some point, you'll get a letter from your local DMV suspending your license, or they won't let you renew it until you clear up the the Texas warrant. If the original fine was $250 and that's all they want now, I'd jump at the chance. As has been pointed out, many states add court costs and interest and you'd be looking at a couple of grand by now.

mastr

Find one of those letters and send them back an offer of $125 to settle. Since it has been this long, the court workers are are probably tired of messing with it too.

obijohn

kg9qm said:
There surely has been a warrant issued, and those don't expire.
Why not just pay it and stop worrying about it? Were you actually NOT speeding?

Surely, you have heard of the statute of limitations?

7 years is the expected lifetime of a warrant for a traffic citation.

And, yes. Traffic warrants are withdrawn after 7 years.

As previously mentioned, the interstate compact agreement thing is your worse
enemy.

Obviously, if you are still valid in your state of residence, then the compact agreement
does not apply.

Next time you might not be so lucky!

scrotumola

Find out if your state is a participant in the "Non-Resident Violator Compact" This is an agreement between states pertaining to traffic violations. Texas is a participant. As far as warrant extradition, Texas and the warrant entering agency do not extradite for class C misdemeanors (tickets, simple assault, disorderly conduct) and even for some class B misdemeanors. When I worked in LE only felonies were entered into NCIC and not misdemeanors.

Another factor is who the agency is. If your ticket was from The Texas Department of Public Safety, you can bet that they will follow through and as stewarts of drivers license records, their and only their warrants are attached to your driving record. Little podunk towns don't have t his luxory and often do not 'take advantage of the NRVC process.

Now back to the violator compact. Participating states establish a reciprocity whereas if a license holder from state A commits a violation in state B and the violator fails to take care of the violation, state B will notify state A of the FTA (failure to appear), failure to complete terms of sentence (ie. fine, time served, probation, deferred adjudication, defensive driving, community service etc) and either suspend the violators license or deny license renewal until which time that state B is satisfied with compliance. This is regardless of the facts/circumstances surrounding the issuance of the citation. If there were mitigating facts regarding the citation, the time to have addressed them were on or prior to the original court date.

In Texas, driving with a suspended/invalid license is a class B misdemeanor, which means you will go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Airdorn

Premium Subscriber
Wow!

There seems to be a lot of different ideas.. some say it'll never disappear and eventually catch up to me and put me either in the big house or the poor house. Then others say there's a statute of limitations.

A couple of websites suggested a 2 year statute of limitations for the ticket, which is supposedly a class C misdemeanor in Texas.

I guess the answer won't be quite so easy to track down without talking to a lawyer.

I really don't want to pay it because I believe the original $250 was too much. If it were something more down-to-earth like $125 - $150 (like most places!) then that'd be different.

(We'll see how I feel about it once I spend a night at the crossbar motel. :)

Last edited:

Airdorn

Premium Subscriber
scrotumola said:
Find out if your state is a participant in the "Non-Resident Violator Compact" This is an agreement between states pertaining to traffic violations. Texas is a participant. As far as warrant extradition, Texas and the warrant entering agency do not extradite for class C misdemeanors (tickets, simple assault, disorderly conduct) and even for some class B misdemeanors. When I worked in LE only felonies were entered into NCIC and not misdemeanors.

Another factor is who the agency is. If your ticket was from The Texas Department of Public Safety, you can bet that they will follow through and as stewarts of drivers license records, their and only their warrants are attached to your driving record. Little podunk towns don't have t his luxory and often do not 'take advantage of the NRVC process.

Now back to the violator compact. Participating states establish a reciprocity whereas if a license holder from state A commits a violation in state B and the violator fails to take care of the violation, state B will notify state A of the FTA (failure to appear), failure to complete terms of sentence (ie. fine, time served, probation, deferred adjudication, defensive driving, community service etc) and either suspend the violators license or deny license renewal until which time that state B is satisfied with compliance. This is regardless of the facts/circumstances surrounding the issuance of the citation. If there were mitigating facts regarding the citation, the time to have addressed them were on or prior to the original court date.

In Texas, driving with a suspended/invalid license is a class B misdemeanor, which means you will go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.
Well I don't drive in Texas except maybe about 200 miles across the panhandle every couple of years. I let the wife do THAT driving.

And isn't the fact that nothing has happened to my license in the intervening years since the original ticket (2001) relevant?

Status
Not open for further replies.