How Many Hours A Day Are You Monitoring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
The ops tempo at my local USAF base dictates my listening schedule since I like Mil-Air. If they aren't flying, I'll turn on the local FD dispatch frequency just to know what's going on.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I run a SDS200, BCD536HP and BCT15X 24/7 in my home office. Being retired and staying home way too much and avoiding cable TV, politics and riots I spend an enormous amount of time monitoring. Off and on throughout the day and night probably about 10-15 hours.

GregOH

Was monitoring 4 hours a day when I had a digital and now that I'm without one and monitoring conventional frequencies outside my area, it's turned into 8 hours a day.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
During the night there are four scanners on in the bedroom with one set for close call. During non-sleeping hours in the radio/computer room aka the dining area of the great room, 18 scanners are usually on. During my daily 2mi walk I have two radios with me and three in the truck when driving somewhere. It's very rare for me not to be monitoring so I am a 24/7 monitor radio listener. It's nice to be retired.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm really surprised to see so many folks monitoring 24/7. Wow! o_O :eek: Some of us, if not all of us, may need to get a life... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

No kidding! :ROFLMAO:
But on a more serious note some of us have circumstances that prevent us from living what would be considered a normal life. A radio helps distract us from that and give us a fun and interesting hobby to help get through life as it is.

K4EET

Chaplain
No kidding! :ROFLMAO:
But on a more serious note some of us have circumstances that prevent us from living what would be considered a normal life. A radio helps distract us from that and give us a fun and interesting hobby to help get through life as it is.
Yes, I understand...

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
During the night there are four scanners on in the bedroom with one set for close call. During non-sleeping hours in the radio/computer room aka the dining area of the great room, 18 scanners are usually on. During my daily 2mi walk I have two radios with me and three in the truck when driving somewhere. It's very rare for me not to be monitoring so I am a 24/7 monitor radio listener. It's nice to be retired.
It's not unusual for me to be performing other tasks while monitoring also. It's called multi-tasking and I have been doing this for years.

merlin

Being retired, I have plenty of time for scanning, SWLing, SDRing and lately quite a bit. Have a big box of toys like commercial trunking radios and portables. Lately a lot of time recording odd unidentified digital stuff or decoding including DTS. Save for the last hour, been at stuff like that over 24 hours now, short coffee breaks, meals, naps. More tonight even.

DJ11DLN

It's not unusual for me to be performing other tasks while monitoring also. It's called multi-tasking and I have been doing this for years.
Same. I very seldom just sit listening to a scanner. Working, gardening, driving, housework, reading during downtime, etc., the scanner's on and I hear at least most of what comes across it/them.

ridgescan

I monitor every single day, not continuously, but randomly. I'll have SFPD on the BC785D in the bedroom, and CHP across the Bay Area scanning on the Icom R75 in the living room.
For example, #Walkaway San Francisco is happening right now at the Golden Gate Bridge so I have SFPD,FD in the bedroom and CHP Marin and San Francisco in the living room
Sometimes I'll have Fire Command for the wildfires going on the Icom R8600 in the bedroom if I can find their frequencies, since that rig is the only one that can pick up long-distance VHF very cleanly.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Curious how much time people devote to monitoring (not work related).

0.05%

Outside of work, I don't usually waste my time on it. Need a break now and then. Sometimes on the way into work I'll listen in on our dispatch channel, just to get an idea of what I'm in for, but mostly I either keep the radios off, or just sitting on the 2 meter simplex channel my wife and I use.

Cognomen

8 hrs a day while at work Mon-Fri. At home, it's whenever I'm working at the computer, which can be a couple hrs to 8 hrs, depending on what I have to do, but its not every day. Since I'm allowed to listen while at work, I don't miss not listening when I'm at home.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
I'm monitoring nothing now that the TdF is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.