How many of you use the mast again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sony

Is it ok to re-use your old mast from old antenna? Or should I get new masts along with new antenna? The mast looks fine.
When should the mast be replaced from old antenna when you are installing a new antenna?

trunker0205

sony said:
When I go up there I will have to check inside of mast.

Check the Bottom of the mast,the tapered end.Take a hammer with you and bang it all the way up,you will be able to tell if it's rusted or not just by the sound..How long has it been up there..?

sony

trunker0205 said:
Check the Bottom of the mast,the tapered end.Take a hammer with you and bang it all the way up,you will be able to tell if it's rusted or not just by the sound..How long has it been up there..?
What kind of sound am I listening for?
It has been up there since 1995/1996.
The guy wires are starting to rust they aren't the plastic coated ones but the grey metal ones.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
When you listen to the inside of your mast,let me know if you hear any old
radio signals still hanging around?
The only thing you should see in there might be some old squirrel poop,ha!
Sorry,couldn't help it!
73's.

sony

gewecke said:
When you listen to the inside of your mast,let me know if you hear any old
radio signals still hanging around?
The only thing you should see in there might be some old squirrel poop,ha!
Sorry,couldn't help it!
73's.
I would have thought I could hear the sea or the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Last edited:

rcvmo

My 2 x 10' X 1-3/8" mast has been reinstalled on my present home 10 years ago. It was originally on my old house since the late 70's. They don't make metal like they used to. It's just now starting to rust through.
One thing I miss is having the height of a 2 story over the ranch. At least on the ranch I can dance and throw a party up there.
rcvmo

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
Sony- What does weather in the Bay and a 'Vette (C6?) have to do with an antenna mast?

Anywho...if the mast is not bent, rusty or otherwise compromised then there is no reason why you can't re-use it. If you don't like the way it looks, hit it with a rattlecan in you choice of color and throw it back up.

sony

rcvmo said:
My 2 x 10' X 1-3/8" mast has been reinstalled on my present home 10 years ago. It was originally on my old house since the late 70's. They don't make metal like they used to. It's just now starting to rust through.
One thing I miss is having the height of a 2 story over the ranch. At least on the ranch I can dance and throw a party up there.
rcvmo
I have a little surface rust on the grey mast I don't know yet if it is rusting from the inside out. Gold colored mast looks good but a closer inspection is warranted.

sony

mancow said:
Don't know but she's hot as hell!
That's Sandia Patel from Ch. 7 News the weather lady you can catch during afternoon news. Yes she is a hot one.

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Forget run and heavy steel. Many industrial-commercial electrical supply houses carry aluminum conduit in a ll sizes. Select 1 & 1/4" which is standard antenna mast. Comes threaded on both ends and with one coupling.

Lightweight, strong and corrosion free

sony

firescannerbob said:
On the other hand, why spend the money if you don't have to? There is no "risk" if the mast isn't damaged or rusty.
Maybe a little external rust outside of mast but again a closer inspection is warranted.

Status
Not open for further replies.