How many remember the "Police Call" frequency guide

N9JIG

Sheriff
Years back (1980's era) there was a Radio Shack in Evergreen Park IL (SW suburbs of Chicago) that got the Police Calls in stock each year weeks ahead of every other store for some reason. I had a friend who lived in the area who would let us know when they arrived and several of us from the far NW burbs would trek down there to get them. There was a RadioShack version of Police Call with a slightly different cover for many years but one could get them from other sources as well.

Every time I got out to the LA area I would stop at the scanner store in Anaheim and usually get a copy of the SoCal Detail Version, this was not usually available at Radio Shack and was not included in the Major Contributor distribution. (See below)

I also travelled to Canada quite a bit then and there was a book called Haruteq that had Ontario and Quebec versions. There may have been a Maratimes version as well. I don't think they did anything for western Canada, you were pretty much on your own out there.

Eventually I became a major contributor to Police Call, got my name listed in the book and a free set of 9 volumes for free each year. Between those and the ones I had purchased before I had boxes of them. Eventually Gene passed the PoliceCall torch to Rich Barnett of ScannerMaster. Some of the volumes were merged and I think at the end there were only 6 but they also included a CD with the data and a front end application.

I kept my collection of Police Calls for years until I moved out of state and after taking a couple select examples, I gave away the rest to other radio guys. I had 7 or 8 copier paper boxes full of them and gave them away at my last CARMA meeting before I moved, along with a metric ton of accumulated radio stuff from my basement that did not make the move to Arizona. I kept one or two older versions of Volume 4 along with the last one as well as an old SOCal Detail one.

Sometime later (Mid 90's) I was approached by Rich Barnett to create an Illinois version of the Scanner Master guide, myself and a couple other Chicago guys put together a phonebook-sized book. I also edited several states for the Monitor America books of the era.

Police Call was a great reference source, but like has been said, was pretty much a well-edited data dump. There were a lot of added notes ("F1") type stuff in the data. One year while home sick with chicken pox for a couple weeks I sat down in front of my Mac Plus and entered the complete Illinois section into a FileMaker database, line by line. This was of course before the Percon databases were available. I combined this with some local accumulations of info (The infamous PL List, the Wisconsin guys data among others) and we had a pretty good database going for the area.

When Percon came around it was a great resource. They produced a series of CD's with data from the FCC files for just about everything. There were two versions, a Nationwide scanner-oriented one that had specific fields and regional ones with the complete file of all fields. They also included a Windows front end but being Mac guys we would usually export the FoxPro formatted .dbf's into a text file so we could then import it into FileMaker which was a much simpler way to view, search and edit the data. Back in the day with computers running at 8 MHz. such an import would take days and result in files with over a million records. These days such an import might take long enough for me to get up and grab a soda from the kitchen.

Nowadays with RadioReference we have all that info and more available at our fingertips. While it was fun back then paging thru books of data it is a lot easier now to look stuff up online.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
That book was quite helpful in it's time but the internet is better by far and away.
In today's fast paced, dynamic, environment, the Internet is better because it can serve up near real time updates. I still make printed lists for some things because the printed page doesn't require batteries, technology or any sort of an IP connection.

RADIO SHACK was ubiquitous until it wasn't. I admit to a certain thrill when the latest RS, Lafayette or Allied catalogs came in the mail. I blame corporate greed and incompetence along with shifting public tastes in electronics as well as the rise of new and disrupting purchasing venues and technologies.

Radio Shack's motto of "You've got questions--We've got answers" changed to "You've got questions--We've got cellphones" and eventually, "You've got questions--We haven't a clue".

K7MFC

WRAA720
Interesting short article from "Wired" in 2005 about the last issue:

CrabbyMilton

In today's fast paced, dynamic, environment, the Internet is better because it can serve up near real time updates. I still make printed lists for some things because the printed page doesn't require batteries, technology or any sort of an IP connection.

RADIO SHACK was ubiquitous until it wasn't. I admit to a certain thrill when the latest RS, Lafayette or Allied catalogs came in the mail. I blame corporate greed and incompetence along with shifting public tastes in electronics as well as the rise of new and disrupting purchasing venues and technologies.

Radio Shack's motto of "You've got questions--We've got answers" changed to "You've got questions--We've got cellphones" and eventually, "You've got questions--We haven't a clue".
Well there was certainly many local places that sold scanners that weren't too swift but any number of great one's too. One place was very highly regarded as one of the must visit place for any new scanner or accessories for them. It was literally a Mom and Dad operation that had been around forever. I go in and ask if they had a UNIDEN BEARCAT(forgot the model I was looking for back then) but they were completely clueless when I mentioned the model. So that was a waste of time. So most of us wax nostalgia over the old days on some things but this was not one of them.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
Wow, I remember giving away/tossing a LOT of Police Call/Beyond Police Call (Mall Call LOL) books years ago.

Every time I went TDY somewhere I'd manage to find a Rat Shack nearby/off post and run over to buy a copy for the state/area I was in, as well as one of their typed/handwritten lists that were usually kept behind the counter.

mshumeyk

Premium Subscriber
The oldest Police Call I have is from 1986. Who remembers Government Radio Systems like this one from 1990? or Bill Cheek’s classic Scanner Modification Handbooks?

View attachment 135395View attachment 135392View attachment 135393View attachment 135394
I used the initial CRB Research single sheet 4 page frequency listing for the NYC area before having access to "Police Call" through Radio Shack. I had the Scanner Modification Guide and enjoyed listening to the early days of analog cellphone calls on my easily modified Radio Shack desktop scanner.

JM707

Premium Subscriber
I enjoyed listening to the early days of analog cellphone calls on my easily modified Radio Shack desktop scanner.

Me too. The early portable cell phones were big, bulky, and not very many people had them. The local police had them in their cars for “confidential” communications. They would also call the station to access their private voicemail. I remember one time a local businessman called his wife to tell her he wouldn’t be home until late, he was swamped with work and had to work late. As soon as he hung up he called his girlfriend and told her he was free that evening and they could get it on. Those were the days. :)

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
I enjoyed the frequencies listed at the back of the book, especially the UXX frequencies. Back in the 80's I monitored all kinds of interesting things. I miss those days. Analog unencrypted feds were fun to monitor. My Bearcat BC-220XLT needed no modification to monitor analog cell phones. The crazy things you hear when people thought their cell phone was private. I always enjoyed going to Radio Shack and picking up the newest addition of Police Call.

scannersnstuff

A lot of us got our start on tuneables and crystal scanner's. Now all the late great one's are gone. Gene Hughes,Tom Kneitel,Bob Grove,Bill Cheek and Paul Opitz. Just to name a few. I'll never forget the Bill Cheek quote - almost verbatim. "Give me a $10 receiver,and a $100 dollar antenna,and I'll play radio with the best of them.And I did". Very true word's.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Analog unencrypted feds were fun to monitor.
Fun times here in SoCal hearing the FBI, DEA, Secret Service (especially during VIP visits), etc. in the clear and on discrete channels.
The original 800 MHz cell channels were also good secondary information sources for news gathering.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Fun times here in SoCal hearing the FBI, DEA, Secret Service (especially during VIP visits), etc. in the clear and on discrete channels.
The original 800 MHz cell channels were also good secondary information sources for news gathering.
They certainly were Roger, I can remember one top dog talking to another about a scene on the radio.

They all knew exactly who we were, he said hold on, we've got company, call me on your cell.. yeah. ;)

As you and others have said, I really liked that era of Public Service Communications, simple and easy, certainly worked a lot better, not even trunking. I liked VHF low simplex, you could tell if they were close or not LOL.

I was using a GRE Pro 2004 after taking the case off and doing a little snip snip. Always had at least two radios.

I had no problem using frequency listings and the police call book and word of mouth. Our radios were loaded with everything we needed. Including the DEA, FBI and SS.

We never missed anything. Police call and other publications did the trick.

Last edited:

RichM

In one of my old Police Call books I kept my scanner database back up - hand written, in pencil no less in case things needed to be updated, in the ”notes” section in the back. Those couple of pages represented many years of collecting frequencies.

In those days I lived in an apartment complex and could hear everyone’s cordless phone calls on my Bearcat 20. I modded it to go from 20 channels to 60 by bending 2 pins together. I was so proud of that mod but it took forever to scan after that!

At my local Radio Shack the manager was a scanner guy and was very knowledgeable and a great resource. He always had one chattering away next to the cash register, that generated a lot of scanner sales for him.

It certainly was a different time. I started with a crystal set and spent a lifetime after that trying to find new things to hear. Kids these days if they are at all interested listen to the scanner feeds on their phones for free. No one wants to actually buy a radio let alone learn programming.

I should add that I love my digital scanner with it‘s wildcard feature, every new talk group is heard, I don’t miss anything on digital. And having computer programming sure beats pencil and paper and pushing buttons until the numbers wore off. Times change, thanks for the memories!

sprman1955

Sadly the great ones are gone and the changes that followed were good for the hobby. Same can be said for SW radio to internet has changed everything.I started with a old MIL surplus radio that tuned from 144mhz to 600 mhz in 3 bands.Could hear police fire hams and more it was AM/FM . Have not been able to find one since i sold it years ago.Heard many feds on it be as i lived next to Washington D.C. at the time....