How many scanners in your home (used & unused).

How many Scanners Used & Unused

• Five Used - Four Unused or no others

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Four Used - One Unused or no others

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Three Used - Two Unused or no others

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Two Used - Three Unused or no others

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • One Used - Four Unused or no others

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Five Used - No Others

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Four Used - No Others

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Three Used - No Others

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • Two Used - No Others

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • One Used - No Others

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Many of us have multiple scanners, some assigned to different tasks, others gathering dust. This poll is to determine how many of us are simply scanner fanatics, hobbyists and/or casual listeners, by way of quantity/use as a measure. This poll is not perfect, some will fall through the gaps, but feel free to post a message if you feel the need to expand on your answer.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Looks like @buddrousa can't vote since he has waaay more that 5.

Personally I would have phrased the choices a little differently, but that's just me.

Or even better, completely drop the poll and just ask how many scanners do you have. ;)

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I have five active in the shack, and over 20 in storage no longer used. Sorry, I can't vote on your poll, unless you can change some numbers.

My mentor, fellow CARMACHICAGO Director, and good friend Rich Carlson N9JIG has probably more than anyone I know. He's also a moderator of Radio Reference, and my go-to person for most technical issues involving radios, computers, and life. Consider these factors unless it negates the current tally, but you'll probably get most people re-voting to make your poll accurate.

Thank you for the bandwidth.

YoShep69

Premium Subscriber
My answer is not listed. I have somewhere between 11 & 13. Most are on right now.
I did just purchase a BCD996P2 from MTC in Texas, and a 4 scanner mount from Scannermaster.
BTW, right now MTC has 996P2 and 325P2 on sale. I'm just a customer.

Yo

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep I wouldn't know what to say in that poll either, if you count what's in the garage, I have way too many radios that I have collected since the mid-60s.

I've sold many radios and I've thrown many out as they just didn't serve a purpose anymore and weren't worth the time trying to sell for what I could get.

The last wave of radios that I used which are obsolete for me now including the 436, 536, trx1, 1095, and a few other older radios are in my closet unused.

Since absolutely all police in my large region is encrypted now except for the city of Philadelphia which I have no interest in and never go to anymore, I now use an sds200 by the bedside, ham gear aside, and have a SDS 100 permanently mounted in the car with a Larson tri-band.

So I would be 2 actively used and way too many to count... inactive.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
This thread is a thief's dream. Who has got ...!
The question has lots of issues; not only does it limit the answer to 5, but it's unclear about what is a scanner and if I am to count radios that are fully healthy, in repair, recovering or even collecting dust. Does "in my house" mean I shouldn't count those that live in automobiles? What about my office?

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I've only got one real scanner (An old RadShack Pro91 that I rarely use). I do a fair bit of VHF/UHF listening. But, I use my existing ham gear for that

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
None at home. Work doesn't get to interfere with my personal/home life.
Two at work, Bearcat 895xlt monitoring my analog work systems sitting in my office. AOR AR2300 at a remote high site to remotely monitor other stuff as needed. My 'shop' radios are set up to scan their respective systems.

rk911

Rich
Premium Subscriber
back in the day i had as many as 8-10 scanners going in the shack, each one dedicated to a particular service (local pd's, local fd's, sheriff's, state police, aviation, etc.

these days I have two running 24/7 at home. my 536 in the shack and my 197 in the home office (a mini shack). three handhelds are not running. the 106 travels in the RV with us, the Pro-43 goes to airshows with me and the Pro-83...well, that's sentimental. i also have a Pro-2048 tucked away mostly for sentimental reasons.

although not a scanner the dual-band/dual-display Icom in my Jeep has the local FD on one side and our club's UHF rptr on the other.

scannersnstuff

4 in use. About 7 put away.
bct-15 - County fire/Sheriff's,as needed. Don't always listen to s.o.
bc898t-Local airport,Misc.civil and milair.
bcd325p2-County fire/sheriff's portable/listen to select tg's as needed.Close call/search.
bc246t-Same as bcd325p2. Back in my old setup, I listened to 6 scanner's,several portable's and several fire/ems pager's and amateur radio's.

Scan125

And I'm wondering how these people with multiple scanners in use at the same time get their signals? Via individual antennas, common antenna with/without splitter or a wide band TV like n output distribution box?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
And I'm wondering how these people with multiple scanners in use at the same time get their signals? Via individual antennas, common antenna with/without splitter or a wide band TV like n output distribution box?
OTA TV signals and scanner signals are on different antenna systems. At home each is amplified and distributed as needed. When mobile, I have more than one antenna on my vehicle; one for each receiver.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
I answered 2 used / 3 unused as it was the closest to being accurate. I didn't count the ones in the garage., nor did I count any transceivers that are capable of scanning.

Of the unused scanners, all are handhelds: one I take 4-wheeling; the other two are called into service when there is a large event (usually a brush fire) in my area or I'm testing radio systems.