How many times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

How many times does this happen? I got LUCKY! My wife spotted an estate sale on the net-this young man's dad passed and he was selling out the contents of the house-dad was a HAM! The son just wanted to move stuff quickly. By the time I got there, all the ham antennas and equipment were claimed BUT-I got a Diamond discone, a 6-element tribander, a RS pro-2066 trunking scanner, 35 ft rg6 coax, and a Cleartone external speaker...about $500.00 worth of stuff. I only paid TEN DOLLARS TOTAL! It obviously was a case where this guy was just wanting to get through the clearing of his dad's things so he could get the house up for sale. Anybody else out there run into a deal like this before? I will put this man's equipment to good use here as it is well appreciated!!:)

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You may have just paid what he was asking, but I would not have the heart to rip off someone that much.

I know I am in the minority.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
You may have just paid what he was asking, but I would not have the heart to rip off someone that much.

Yeah I know what you mean, I would have at least threw him a $20 and told him to keep it (I know it still would have been like ripping him off but at least you gave him more, double, what he was asking).

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber

The guy obviously didn't need the money. Anyone knows anything electronic that works could bring in $50 minimum. I'm sure the fella knew that a box worth of HAM gear (after he'd been selling the rest of it all day) was worth more but since it was, what sounds like the end of the sale, he was lettin' it go to someone who obviously wanted it, for a good deal. It was probably of no use to him and just wanted to see it gone. Don't make it sound like he was rippin' the deceased off.

btritch

Hmmm..

Well, I don't want to tick anyone off so I'm going to try to not make this sound smart...

I see it like this...It was an (AUCTION = Bidding on item awards item to highest bidder, seller may set minimum is it is required) therefore, Everything goes, to the highest bidder that is...If that was the highest bid then that's why it was gotten so cheap, If someone had bid it up higher or the seller had set a minimum bid where he had to have at least that much out of the item, things would be different..It's a great deal at the sellers loss for not setting a minimum bid..Therefore, Highest bidder wins.. Nice deal there ridgescan, Congratulations on the find/buy.

However, on the other hand Grog, I can see you guy's point also, I'd be the same way and would have probably did the same thing in that situation...I'm not one to rip someone off either, I would not want it done to me therefore I wouldn't do it to someone else either unless circumstances arose and I had no other option, I wouldn't do it just for the heck of it..

As for ripping off the deceased, Don't look at it that way, That's not who's selling it, You'd be ripping off the seller Hence the deceased son at this point..

Didn't want to make this sound smart but I couldn't think of a nicer way, Don't want to tick anyone off at me or start a big controversial deal on here.. Lord knows that is all we need, More arguing and putting people down, LOL Anyway, Don't want to tick anyone off but that's just how I see it...

Thanks for listening..

Grog

Banned
I could care less for the dead dude, he's too busy fighting off the worms anyway :lol:

I was just saying that If it were me, I would try to make sure they could get more than just pennies on the dollar before "paying and running" :D If the guy really didn't care (as can be likely) then no big deal. I just don't want people out there thinking they can get a deal by listening to the local ham repeater for when an OF keels over as I have seen some hams that do that.

btritch

I could care less for the dead dude, he's too busy fighting off the worms anyway :lol:

I was just saying that If it were me, I would try to make sure they could get more than just pennies on the dollar before "paying and running" :D If the guy really didn't care (as can be likely) then no big deal. I just don't want people out there thinking they can get a deal by listening to the local ham repeater for when an OF keels over as I have seen some hams that do that.

You're right! I agree with you 100% there! I see your point and totallly agree!

ridgescan

Before things get way out of hand-I better clarify a few things-he wanted to move all things from the house by the end of today (Sunday) He inherited the house and is selling it and his dad's two cars. The ham and other various radio equipment was of absolutely NO consequence to him. Matter of fact, he THANKED me for taking these things as it was "that much less he had to deal with". Meantime, two other ham guys were out in the backyard wrenching antennas off the tower. He said he was with his dad when he bought the Diamond discone and was fully aware it was a $100.00 antenna. I have NO doubt he knew the scanner didn't come cheap either! The 6-element tribander was in pieces laid up in the hall closet and was "one less mess" according to him. There was NO ripoff here. He was happy, I was happy. If you guys were there you would clearly see that not only did he not share dad's love for radios-he actually viewed it as a 'burden' to get through in order to focus on the 'meat' of selling the big assets. Hey at least dad up there knows his gear is being appreciated and put to good use by fellow radiocomm guys! I know that's how I would want it:)

D

DaveNF2G

Don't worry about somebody getting money off this estate. There are quite a few ham vultures who seem to have all of the estate sale equipment at the hamfests and on the swap nets. They don't pay much (sometimes nothing) for the equipment that they graciously offer to take off the executor's hands "to sort out for you and I'll even take the junk to the dump." Most of that "junk" is then sold for pretty big bucks to other hams.

kb2vxa

Banned
Hey guys get real, buy low sell high is business at it's finest. Hey Superman you'll never get rich working for that skinflint White, get with the program! You'll never find truth in a newspaper nor justice in the Commissioner's office, capitalism is the American way and Lois will never marry you until you OWN the planet. No you goofball... EARTH!

The moral of this story? WHAT are morals? It's BUSINESS, like as in MONEY baby!

That'll give those goody two shoes something to whinge and cry about. <chuckle>

Status
Not open for further replies.