How much coax is to much coax?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnmsales

I currently have an anteena on one side of my house. For various reasons I have had to move my PC to the other end of the house and now need to run the antenna to it. I have measured the total length and it is going to be approx 100 ft. I am wanting to make sure this long a cable run isnt going to be to long for this application. I know in sattelite internet setups the recomend no longer than 100ft but that is for a much larger amount of data. Does anyone have any feedback on this type of application.

Thank You.

brandon

Database Admin
Use some LMR-400 coax and you should be good.

I have a 150 ft run of coax but it's used for HF reception, so the loss isn't as bad.

cnmsales

Looks like if im gunna run 100 ft and need to be cautious about cost the RG-11 is probably my best bet.

If I purchase just a regular antenna from say radio shack for my scanner and attach it to my house roof am I going to need to have it grounded?

gcgrotz

LMR400 looks pretty cheap on eBay although I personally can't vouch for it others on here have been happy with it.

Just keep in mind that 3db will be barely noticable except on an already very weak signal so don't get scared off by loss figures. Quality is important because you don't want to have to replace your cable after a couple of years.

Internet users concerned with loss are looking at 2.4 or 5.8 GHz with milliwatts of precious transmit power that you don't want to waste.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.