How much internet data will be used if you stream?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Is the AC power for your scanner plugged into the same outlet as your computer? If you run the scanner on battery alone does the noise go away?

Danny37

Is the AC power for your scanner plugged into the same outlet as your computer? If you run the scanner on battery alone does the noise go away?
Its a mobile scanner so there's no battery options and yes its connected to the same outlet. I did add a ferrite choke on all the cables but haven't noticed much. Its just a hiss during the transmission. When there's dead air theres barely any sound unless the volume is turned all the way up.

prcguy

Could there be a Windoz ALC or automatic level control in effect on the sound card inputs? You don't want that as it will try and clamp down loud initial audio and also try to raise the level of softer sounds like background hiss, etc. ALC is good for mic audio but bad for audio streaming from a radio. I would make sure all Windoz audio effects are turned off and no ALC is active.

CPU/Load & Heat
I never noticed an issue with heat and load, but I never tasked the computer handling it for much other than ADS-B stuff. The current computer is Win10 w/Core2 Duo, 3 GHz CPU and 4 GB of RAM. A really basic machine to run that stuff, but that is mostly all it does. I may be different than others in that I have more computing devices handling a few tasks each. If one went down the other could pick up the slack until repaired/replaced.

* If you minimize Win500 to the taskbar, it will reduce the load quite a bit. Open up Task Manager and look at the difference when on screen and when minimized.

Noise
Okay, I tested it uncompressed using my phone and noticed the noise as well. That background hiss is loud compared to what I am used to with compressed. Additionally, my ear did not pick up enough of an audio improvement to run it uncompressed, so I may stay with compressed and enjoy. I almost always listen while at my desk with the audio coming out of the computer speakers. I have other ambient noise as well in my office, so I may not have an issue with it uncompressed. It was crazy loud using my phone though. I will need to try it at work.

As to Bluetooth, experiment and have fun. I personally tested a Bluetooth transmitter with my scanner and also heard noise/rumbling while it was scanning. Still, all Bluetooth devices are not the same.

Danny37

Could there be a Windoz ALC or automatic level control in effect on the sound card inputs? You don't want that as it will try and clamp down loud initial audio and also try to raise the level of softer sounds like background hiss, etc. ALC is good for mic audio but bad for audio streaming from a radio. I would make sure all Windoz audio effects are turned off and no ALC is active.

All I see in the windows sound control panel is mic agc which I had already turned off.

Danny37

There could also be software specific to your sound card that has its own control panel.
I'm using a usb sound card since the onboard soundcard won't work for whatever reason. I'll dig deeper into the settings.

I did find a slight improvement when I placed a ferrite choke on the ethernet cable connected to the pc. I'm assuming my ethernet cable is creating alot of noise.

prcguy

I would be surprised if there are any outside influences on the sound coming from noise on the Ethernet cables or anywhere else within the computer. Lots of people use internal and external sound cards of all types for critical recordings and there is no noise, or its a good 100dB down from full scale.

I'm using a usb sound card since the onboard soundcard won't work for whatever reason. I'll dig deeper into the settings.

I did find a slight improvement when I placed a ferrite choke on the ethernet cable connected to the pc. I'm assuming my ethernet cable is creating alot of noise.

Danny37

I would be surprised if there are any outside influences on the sound coming from noise on the Ethernet cables or anywhere else within the computer. Lots of people use internal and external sound cards of all types for critical recordings and there is no noise, or its a good 100dB down from full scale.
Looks like I have alot of work ahead of me then.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I actually have a noise issue that appears when the PC control cable connected to the computer is unplugged. The same computer the audio is connected to. (Yes I know why) I also use a USB sound card for that scanner. The noise is nasty bad, but as the PC control cable is usually plugged in 24/7 for Win500 it never bothers me. (AGC was also off, etc. thank you for that)

Today, a ground loop isolator for $10 arrived and it fixed the problem, that I rarely noticed. ;) I did need to add a stereo to mono adapter though. Ultimately, the compressed audio suppresses unwanted hiss/noise. With zero audio improvement to my ears uncompressed, I'm back to the compressed setting.

Danny37

I actually have a noise issue that appears when the PC control cable connected to the computer is unplugged. The same computer the audio is connected to. (Yes I know why) I also use a USB sound card for that scanner. The noise is nasty bad, but as the PC control cable is usually plugged in 24/7 for Win500 it never bothers me. (AGC was also off, etc. thank you for that)

Today, a ground loop isolator for $10 arrived and it fixed the problem, that I rarely noticed. ;) I did need to add a stereo to mono adapter though. Ultimately, the compressed audio suppresses unwanted hiss/noise. With zero audio improvement to my ears uncompressed, I'm back to the compressed setting.

Glad I could help.

I wonder if switching from stereo to mono would help.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
What scanner are you using now with Win500 that has stereo output?

The ground loop isolator I purchased came with a stereo male plug on both ends, which does not work with my scanners without the mono adapter. Well, it sort of works if I slightly unplug it from the scanner so the contacts offset, but that's not acceptable so I popped on a spare mono adapter I have. Been there, done that before with mono audio and stereo plugs.

I purchased the Mpow model via Amazoom for $10.99. I knew I had an issue 10 years ago when I first connected the scanner up to stream via a computer. Still, once the PC control cable is plugged in...no problem so I never ordered one.

Danny37

What scanner are you using now with Win500 that has stereo output?

The ground loop isolator I purchased came with a stereo male plug on both ends, which does not work with my scanners without the mono adapter. Well, it sort of works if I slightly unplug it from the scanner so the contacts offset, but that's not acceptable so I popped on a spare mono adapter I have. Been there, done that before with mono audio and stereo plugs.

I purchased the Mpow model via Amazoom for $10.99. I knew I had an issue 10 years ago when I first connected the scanner up to stream via a computer. Still, once the PC control cable is plugged in...no problem so I never ordered one.

My bad, not stereo at scanner but at the computer. I wonder if I should change it to mono on the computer end. I have a gre psr-600.

Yeah, I noticed a slight improvement with the ground loop isolator. I bought a similar one for around the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.