How often does the location database get updated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You'll need to be more specific. What "location database" are you referring to? Are you asking about the geodata (coordinates and range) for a particular system, or site, or subcategory? If you're asking about that, then the answer is "If they need to be updated, someone would need to submit them for a database admin to change".

Pretty much everything you see in the RRDB is updated manually by database admins based on contributions from users; nothing is really "automatic" except for the weekly import of raw FCC licensing data, which is then presented in the RRDB as a companion to the database.

n2nov

Maybe a clearer question would be how often the database entries are updated as far as the downloads to scanners like the TRX-1 & -2. Updates are made to the database by the administrators, but it takes up to a week for them to show in the database downloads for the EZ-scan software.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Judging by a previous question, I'm "guessing'" you are referring to the location database in the EZScan application. So I'm moving this to the Whistler forum as that info comes from Whistler and not Radio Reference.

CycleSycho

Judging by a previous question, I'm "guessing'" you are referring to the location database in the EZScan application. So I'm moving this to the Whistler forum as that info comes from Whistler and not Radio Reference.

:) Sorry, close (not EzScan) but the same location db within the weekly db updates. Great replies, so to answer this set of unknowns I don't have I'll rephrase and elaborate. What does the location database specifically tell the PRO-668 (at least), PRO-18 (don't have any experience with), and PSR-800 (again don't have any experience with)? I may be under the wrong impression it tells the radios what system types & where, when programmed by zip code. If someone could elaborate if it is, or not? Say someone programs one of the above scanners by zip code. Does the location database fill in the types of systems within and near that zip code? It is a question I could not answer so I posted it what I thought was the correct forum for the database. Sorry for not being more specific (and by the way since it doesn't reference a Whistler product, would it be more likely to have been posted in the database forum, or the GRE and Radio Shack forums?). Matters not to me where it is being posted (unless the answers are more likely than not better suited for those two radio forums instead of the database forum) so wherever the mods of RR have it, is fine. Just so the information refers to the non-upgraded scanners listed herein. :)

Last edited:

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
:) Sorry, close (not EzScan) but the same location db within the weekly db updates. Great replies, so to answer this set of unknowns I don't have I'll rephrase and elaborate. What does the location database specifically tell the PRO-668 (at least), PRO-18 (don't have any experience with), and PSR-800 (again don't have any experience with)? I may be under the wrong impression it tells the radios what system types & where, when programmed by zip code. If someone could elaborate if it is, or not? Say someone programs one of the above scanners by zip code. Does the location database fill in the types of systems within and near that zip code? It is a question I could not answer so I posted it what I thought was the correct forum for the database. Sorry for not being more specific (and by the way since it doesn't reference a Whistler product, would it be more likely to have been posted in the database forum, or the GRE and Radio Shack forums?). Matters not to me where it is being posted (unless the answers are more likely than not better suited for those two radio forums instead of the database forum) so wherever the mods of RR have it, is fine. Just so the information refers to the non-upgraded scanners listed herein. :)

Ok, I'm very confused then. What EXACT location database are you referring to then? The only location database is within the EZScan application. And you originally asked @WhistlerSupport this question, so that implies it pertains to Whistler.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I believe as @KevinC stated, it is the Location database used for imports in EZ Scan and the older GRE Radio Shack PRO668, this should be used for zip code imports and is seldomly updated (as zip codes don't change often). I think I've only seen it updated two times in the last several years.

CycleSycho

Ok, I'm very confused then. What EXACT location database are you referring to then? The only location database is within the EZScan application. And you originally asked @WhistlerSupport this question, so that implies it pertains to Whistler.

:) I found some information relevant to my question but still have a few questions. I compared the iScan and EZScan LDB folders and found both have the same number of files in it & the file sizes are the same. Early 2018 is the latest date modified for the RS and WS radio. This research helped me help my friend and his PRO-668 updating. In going over the 668's 'easier to read' wiki I was reading into it that selecting the zip code when setting it up, it pre-selected system types as listed in those .BIN files, and configured those system types in the scan lists/freq's. Since those files haven't changed for more than 2 years, I am guessing the LDB files do nothing to configure the types of systems capable of being monitored (in other words, your not going to 'miss out' any systems if they were recently moved to another system type, locally. I was attempting to find out if this was an issue for him and I am now guessing not? :)

:) Kevin, in response to your reference to whistler support, I am specifically addressing my friends PRO-668, and it seems whistler has done all they can to help those with legacy radios. This is why I posted a database question in the database forum. It had NOTHING to do with the 1080 or ezScan, only the iScan program. Again, if I was addressing a WS1080 or any other whistler radio, I would have posted it here in the Whistler forum. All moving my post to here in this forum did was to confuse the issue further. All my research trying to self help my friend with the LDB folder in the iScan program, was ended when whistler support said they would not include the LDB folder in the downloads recently posted on the whistler website. That ending resulted in my delving into what exactly is the LDB used for and how it works 'pre loading' the radios. I hope I have clarified some? :)

CycleSycho

:) I ask this be reposted in the database forum, since that is where the topic was posted and where it should be discussed. IF not I'll post again in the database forum since I still have questions needing answers. I believe this forum is not the place I can get answers to the simple questions about why and how the LDB relates to and including the DB (files) in the legacy radios relating to the ones posted above in my replies (specifically the PRO-668). :)

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
:) I ask this be reposted in the database forum, since that is where the topic was posted and where it should be discussed. IF not I'll post again in the database forum since I still have questions needing answers. I believe this forum is not the place I can get answers to the simple questions about why and how the LDB relates to and including the DB (files) in the legacy radios relating to the ones posted above in my replies (specifically the PRO-668). :)

The database forum would not be the correct forum as what you are asking about is not a Radio Reference issue, it is a Whistler issue as they take care of the database for the RS, GRE and Whistler software at this point.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I ask this be reposted in the database forum, since that is where the topic was posted and where it should be discussed.

This is not a RadioReference database issue so it does not belong in the Database forum. As far as I can tell, you're asking about a location database:

So, my question, pretty much asked in the title of the post, how often does the location database get updated

There is no RadioReference location database. Whatever location database file you have found comes from whatever vendor supplied the software you are using. If they have ended support for that software, then you'll need to find another vendor or figure out how to take the RadioReference database and extract the information you need from it.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
It had NOTHING to do with the 1080 or ezScan, only the iScan program.

ezScan and iScan are essentially the same exact thing, just a different name. The software was written by GRE and then a customized (renamed) version (iScan) was made for RadioShack.
When Whistler purchased the IP rights from GRE, they essentially took over the ezScan name plus still supported the iScan version as far as database updates.

All versions use the same exact DB and Location DB files today. You can freely copy the DB files manually from one version to the other and they will work.

So, moving this to the Whistler forum is correct as the Location Database has everything to do with GRE, RadioShack and Whistler's programming software regardless what it's named.
Also, iScan and the GRE version of ezScan are no longer supported by Whistler for weekly DB updates. Whistler is not going to renew the certificate needed to support the connection to their server for the updates. Updates for the old iScan and GRE EzScan must be done manually now if you don't want to send in your old model for the Whistler upgrade.

As to the Location Database, as was mentioned earlier, it's only been updated maybe one time and that was only a few weeks after the initial version. It has not been updated since.

The Location Database was purely a GRE thing. It's used by GRE and Whistler within the ezScan program and by RadioShack within the iScan program. The files and purpose of the location DB are exactly the same between all versions of of ??Scan.

CycleSycho

o_O So the iScan information that references RR as the database Gods doesn't apply for the location database? o_O

:) Mods, just close and lock this post if your not going to move it back to a forum that pertains to the PRO-668 and iScan. Seems the one who originally moved it isn't coming back to move it (as it ISN'T a Whistler issue per Whistler Support) as they have already done all they could for the legacy radios (as) I have already acknowledged in post 7 and further in post 10, finally again in post 11). :)

:) Moderators, CLOSE AND LOCK this post/thread! Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.