How quickly can an antenna be switched?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FKimble

I think you missed the main part of my previous post. When the antenna switches to TX, the RX will be deaf because it is no longer connected to the ant. So approx half or more of the signal will never be received so it can not be transmitted since it doesn't exist. Maybe those who can't hear your net need to switch from HT's to base stations with a decent antenna. Even an HT connected to a good outside antenna with a little elevation will work wonders.

Frank

Camerart

Synchronization may be an issue. Compressing analog will be an issue. That won't be something that's handled just by antenna switching, that's going to take something to unpack the audio. This is where digital shines.
Again, if this was a viable solution, it would have been developed. While I can certainly appreciate the desire to make it work just for the challenge, there are probably very good reasons it wasn't done in the past. Remember, hams are usually a resourceful bunch and a lot of development has happened in the hobby. Maybe not so much anymore, but it does still happen. Your particular challenge isn't anything new, not on the ham side, not on the LMR side.

You say you want to do this with existing radios, but I don't see a way to do that without some heavy modifications.

I can certainly understand the desire to come up with a unique solution that hasn't been tried before. That's what the hobby is about. But I think you may not be fully understanding the challenges of making this work. If you can make it work, it's not going to be easy or cheap, and it's going to take more than just antenna switching.
Hi m,
Yes, I'll think about synchronization later. I use GPS modules, that have accurate timers, this may help.

What i referred to as 'the antenna box' will not only have a switch, but electronics also.

Again, if this was a viable solution . Yes, I have my doubts, but i'm only idling so far:)

True, I don't know what I will come up against, but this is how I start all of my projects, mainly with naevity, then if I get excited enough I go forward, in steps.
C

Camerart

I think you missed the main part of my previous post. When the antenna switches to TX, the RX will be deaf because it is no longer connected to the ant. So approx half or more of the signal will never be received so it can not be transmitted since it doesn't exist. Maybe those who can't hear your net need to switch from HT's to base stations with a decent antenna. Even an HT connected to a good outside antenna with a little elevation will work wonders.

Frank
Hi F,
I didn't miss it, I came up with a possiblity in #59.

If this works, then 2mtrs will 'go' 1000s of miles by relay. (I have my doubts:))
C

Status
Not open for further replies.