• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

How Screwed Up Is This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmp883

From Yahoo Sports, July 5th:

SAINT-QUENTIN, July 5 (Reuters) - Three crashes in the first five days have led the Tour de France organisers to introduce new measures to try and safeguard riders from spectators. "There is a new phenomenon which is worrying us: arms stretched over the safety barriers and often at the end of those arms a mobile phone used as a camera," Tour director Christian Prudhomme told Reuters in an interview on Wednesday.
It seems several riders have crashed into those outstretched arms. In one incident one rider was apparently held down while spectators tried to take the tires off his bike.

Granted that's not a good thing and I do hope that if that rider was injured at all it was minor. However I do have a problem here. Europe is far more motorsport oriented than the US will ever be and one of the more popular events all over Europe is rallying. If you've never watched a rally it is high-speed driving over measured distances for the best time. The driver/navigator team with the lowest overall time at the end of the rally is the winner. The course can either be through local streets or through the woods, or a combination of both. They run rallies in all types of weather, year-round. It's quite exciting to watch, but here's where I have the problem....watch any rally, in any country, and you'll notice one thing: the spectators are allowed right up to the shoulder of the road, usually behind nothing more than tape or sawhorse-type barricades. I've seen numerous crashes while watching rallying on the Speed Channel and it just doesn't look pretty when that car is plowing through the spectators. Fortunately I've never seen an accident where anyone, car crew or spectator, were seriously injured or killed.

Making an issue about bicyclists running into outstretched arms while rally drivers plow into spectators at many times the speed that the bicyclists are going.......
Maybe I'm just missing something.......:confused:

SCPD

I think the main problem is the people pinned down the rider and tried to steal his bike piece by piece. For the rally cars people don't reach out and try to touch to cars or drivers. The is only about ten cars, I believe I maybe wrong, going by the spectators once. Most of the rallying accidents that I have seen on the Speed Channel they car going into a wooded area or an area where there are no spectators. Plus Europeans know the risks that they are taking when they go to a rally event. To bad they WRC doesn't come to the U.S. that would be great.

NightFox

I think what you are missing is an outstretched arm can easily topple a bicycle rider if the rider is hit unknowingly or in the right spot. An outstretched arm isn't going to do anything to a rally car other than take the arm off.

hoser147

Wow looks like Im going to have to watch the new contact sport lol . That is alittle drastic and they should move the barriers back for both parties protection. Sound like its tryin to compete with the running of the Bulls..............hoser147

k3rrr

What?

Certainly you don't think that the people that regulate "Europe" and motor sports are the very same people that run the Tour do you? I doubt it. That's like saying that why be worried about parking infractions while we haven't yet solved the problem of drunk drivers. Every agency or group has to do what they do at their level and not wait for the bigger picture to solve their problems.

Should the riders just consider the fans as part of the race and ride close to them 'at risk.' Maybe, I surely don't have that answer, that would be more for the riders and the people that run it, not the government - unles they are one of the parties.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
jmp883 said:
It seems several riders have crashed into those outstretched arms. In one incident one rider was apparently held down while spectators tried to take the tires off his bike.
Huh, I wonder if the spectator(s) actually needed the bike tires or just wanted a souvenir? :lol:

jmp883

K3RRR wrote:

Certainly you don't think that the people that regulate "Europe" and motor sports are the very same people that run the Tour do you? I doubt it
No, not at all. I guess I'm just used to the way things are 'done' here. In this country it seems, many times, that something that adversely affects a certain group will touch off reactions from groups on both sides of that issue. I guess I just thought things in Europe might work the same way.

ka5lqj

THAT'S why I like my NASCAR series (Craftsman Truck, Busch, and Nextel) THEY actually care about their fans and drivers from getting hurt. (Damn, I wished Dale Sr had worn that shoulder/head restraint.).

Because of health conditions, I'll never be able to go to one of the Races, not even Texas Motor Speedway. But, watching it from home on TV guarantees me I would get smacked by a race car part, LOL!

Respectfully submitted,
:Buck"

k3rrr

To some degree that would be good. In the sky-diviing area when one jump zone has an accident or incident they figure out what the problem was and how to solve it - they then forward all that information to all jump zones so everyone can learn from what they learned. That does not happen that often in other areas - I guess just saying that safety is paramount is sometimes only a word and not a belief.

NeFire242

How about just putting up a fence or barror to prevent that from happening in the future, or more security guards with radios so we can listen.

JHaislet

I'm constantly amazed at people’s knee-jerk reaction to stuff like this...

Why is the answer always legislation and more security???

I would assume assault, battery, and theft are all crimes in Europe, so why do we need even more laws that state "don't hit/knock down Tour riders and steal their ****"??? Those actions are already illegal, yet they're still being done.

People need to pull their heads out of their arses and learn how to behave. From what I've seen from their bike races to soccer games, these folks have serious control/self-restraint issues and anyone who takes part in such an event does so at their own peril.

I know that's painted with a pretty wide brush, but it only takes a couple assholes to start a riot that thousands participate in; thanks to the contagion effect of social behavior.

Speaking of riots, the French (sic) could write a multi-volume encyclopedia on the topic! :twisted:

crashcrew

Premium Subscriber
JHaislet said:
I'm constantly amazed at people’s knee-jerk reaction to stuff like this...

Why is the answer always legislation and more security???

I would assume assault, battery, and theft are all crimes in Europe, so why do we need even more laws that state "don't hit/knock down Tour riders and steal their ****"??? Those actions are already illegal, yet they're still being done.

People need to pull their heads out of their arses and learn how to behave. From what I've seen from their bike races to soccer games, these folks have serious control/self-restraint issues and anyone who takes part in such an event does so at their own peril.

I know that's painted with a pretty wide brush, but it only takes a couple assholes to start a riot that thousands participate in; thanks to the contagion effect of social behavior.

Speaking of riots, the French (sic) could write a multi-volume encyclopedia on the topic! :twisted:

Here here.....couldn't have said it better myself. Always with the "they should have done this, they should do that"

What about personal responsibility and proper behavior? Like when a person drives around a barricade blocking off a flooded road and then has to be rescued....."well there was no one there to stop me from going around the barricade" "They should have had someone there"

No, don't be an asshole. We're going to hell in a bucket and I ain't even enjoying the ride.

JHaislet

Don't even get me started on the number of first-responders this country has lost because of assholes driving through flooded creeks! :evil:

As Penn & Teller would say "YOU'RE CAR IS NOT A BOAT ASSHOLE"

My new policy for swift-water rescue first-responders would be:
Rescue the kids and leave the asshole parents to sink or swim! (pun INTENDED) :evil:

If the parents find a tree and survive, send them a bill for the rescue.

Make gross-stupidity an expensive practice and folks MIGHT think twice next time.

Auto insurance companies should stop covering these types of claims as well. You drive your new KIA through 2-feet of rushing water in a creek and it gets swept away, TOO DAMN BAD. BTW, we'll need that free keychain back! :twisted:

KC8JPZ

Premium Subscriber
Penn & Teller always have great words of wisdom. They are allot more than comedians. Especially Penn.

Status
Not open for further replies.