How SDS100/200 handles an encrypted signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
No, I haven't read the "Acts" to which you are referring...have you? If so can you cite the specific part that states that encryption must be completely ignored? The reason I ask this is how does one know what they are listening to is an encrypted transmission? It would seem odd that the mere act of listening to noise would be illegal...but I could be wrong.
Ive read the act... at least all that pertain to how the FCC views encryption. But it’s been a while since. If yo want to hear an encrypted signal, do a UTube search for what encryption sounds like. I’ve heard two different sounds on my scanners over the years. One I believe the US Secret Service uses or used just sounds like a bunch of white noise, hissing. The other sounds like garbled speech.

I can not cite the specific part of either the ECPA or the Communications act of 1986 as amended but remember there was a good chuckle after learning the FCC was going to forbid us listening to an encrypted signal that wasn’t decoded... unintelligible gibberish. The big joke was why write a law that is unenforceable?

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Ive read the act... at least all that pertain to how the FCC views encryption. But it’s been a while since. If yo want to hear an encrypted signal, do a UTube search for what encryption sounds like. I’ve heard two different sounds on my scanners over the years. One I believe the US Secret Service uses or used just sounds like a bunch of white noise, hissing. The other sounds like garbled speech.

I can not cite the specific part of either the ECPA or the Communications act of 1986 as amended but remember there was a good chuckle after learning the FCC was going to forbid us listening to an encrypted signal that wasn’t decoded... unintelligible gibberish. The big joke was why write a law that is unenforceable?

When I listen to P25 on my analog only scanner encrypted sounds exactly the same as clear mode, so I don't know how I'm supposed to know the difference.

RadioSc

Doesn't play well with others
I don't think listening to Encrypted transmissions over the air is illegal. The thing is if you are able to hear or pickup Encrypted transmissions. It is illegal fr you the Consumer to broadcast it over apps etc. Now listening to Cellular Band on your Scanner. Or having the ability of picking up Cellular Radio Communications on your scanner is a Federal Crime. As stated on back of Uniden Scanners

seth21w

You asked this same question today on Facebook about the sds100 it is like everyone has stated above no scanner is capable of decoding any type of encryption. Period! They explained all of this on Facebook and told you everything you needed to know. Troll?

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Seems like troll.

I know one thing. It would be nice for the end user of a 436 or sds to turn off or on muting so one can determine length of use of a channel or talk group even if it's garbled.

Status
Not open for further replies.