How should I best program a dedicated ARTCC feed scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JW

I am in the process of creating a dedicated ARTCC feeder for some local air traffic in my area. I'm curious about what may be the best way to program the ARTCC frequencies in my area.

There are several frequencies, and while I want plenty of audio on my feed, I also don't want to overwhelm it where transmissions are being missed.

Would it be better to program in say, only one or two of the most local RCAG sites that cover my immediate area? Or would it be best to program in several frequencies that cover more of a broad area, and risk transmissions being missed?

AirScan

Lot's of variables, depends how busy the frequencies are. It's a bit of an art to get the mix just right so you're not missing to much with limited frequencies but at the same time not being overloaded with so many you can't follow what is going on. Personally I'd prefer less than more, but that's just me. What ARTCC area are you talking about ? Can you hear any controllers ? Is this going to be for a single scanner over the internet, like for Broadcastify or LiveATC?

brizzotheizzo

As an avid listener and feed supplier, I agree with the above. If I’m listening to Chicago center, I want one sector only. Any more than that, and it is impossible to follow along. Someplace out west, you might get away with two. I know you mentioned ARTCC’s... however, if it is a center that has no coverage, put it all on there and go for it. ALL coverage is better than NO coverage.
but just for conversation purposes , If it is a slow class c approach/departure control...i’d put them all on one feed. Just my 2 cents.

KK4JW

In response to the questions, yes, on one frequency you can indeed hear the controllers. On some of the others, no.

It's Indy ARTCC, and the closest RCAG site to me is in Winchester, Kentucky. It's literally about 10 miles from my house and with an indoor antenna I can hear the controllers. My plan is to have an outdoor antenna so they're even clearer.

Also, yes. I plan to feed Broadcastify. I forgot about LiveATC.. I may feed to them as well, but it will be a single scanner (BCT15X).

brizzotheizzo

In response to the questions, yes, on one frequency you can indeed hear the controllers. On some of the others, no.

It's Indy ARTCC, and the closest RCAG site to me is in Winchester, Kentucky. It's literally about 10 miles from my house and with an indoor antenna I can hear the controllers. My plan is to have an outdoor antenna so they're even clearer.

Also, yes. I plan to feed Broadcastify. I forgot about LiveATC.. I may feed to them as well, but it will be a single scanner (BCT15X).
For indy center, I’d definitely scan everything that you can pick up in that region. And if you’re only feeding only aviation-based stuff, 110% use live ATC. Every single person that I know of that is an avid aviation listener/supplier uses liveATC.

Not knocking Broadcastify at all, which is a great site. Just don’t know anyone who uses it as their “go to“ for aviation feeds. Just my honest opinion.

AirScan

Personally if you can hear the controller I'd go for just the one frequency. Keep in mind that when traffic is slow they combine with other sectors anyway. In that case include the other frequencies they typically combine with unless they are usually already cross-coupled. More might be okay too but it's hard to say until you actually listen to them, try various combinations and see how they work out. Good location as it fills in an area not covered by LiveATC. Looking forward to checking it out.

LiveATC Indianapolis page.

Status
Not open for further replies.