• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How the heck do you program it????

Status
Not open for further replies.

skierp20

Premium Subscriber
Hey everyone. Everything I am seeing about HT1000 programming seems to point towards it requiring older computers (like 486s) and DOS based systems like Windows 95 or even DOS installs on computers.

With Windows VISTA and XP out there, how the heck does everyone program these radios???? Do you keep those old machines around? Is there any way to use a DOS Emulator (ala DOSBOX) or some other imaging software that makes programmign these radios with an XP based computer possible?????

I'm just curious, PLEASE someone enlighten me!!!

mancow

Database Admin
Yes, many people keep older DOS machines around for this purpose. However, HT1000 RSS is pretty tolerant. You should be fine using some sort of boot media to operate in DOS mode. I use a 1.1 Ghz Celeron CF-18 Toughbook with a USB stick that has been formatted to boot DOS. It works fine.

skierp20

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm looking to use an older Dell 2.0 ghz laptop to try and get some stuff running.

What are you running on the Thumbdrive? FreeDOS?

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
I used a Dell Inspiron 600M to program MTX8000s. Those are the most picky radios, so if I could program them, you should be able to program any motorola radio on that computer.

wv8mat

Premium Subscriber
i have a new dell laptop i dont the spec but new from dell like 3 months ago....but i have a usb to serial cable from radio shack and set the com port to com 1 and used the ht1000 dos program and it programs my radio fine

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I still use an old IBM 25MHz with 4MB of RAM to program some radios. Although I use some newer laptops most of the time, I don't have the heart to get rid of it.

Most of the laptops I use are around 100MHz.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Older 486 laptops are available at thrift stores, yard sales and eBay for $25 or less. Various versions of DOS are available on-line for nothing. I have a dedicated DOS laptop that only gets used for programming, and it cost practically nothing to get set up. I'm often at a loss as to why people end up fighting with a newer laptop when the old throwaways are so available for so cheap!

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
I need to find out how to burn it on a disk, i been going around to different sites trying to download freeDOS or similar, better on a flashdrive or CD?

skierp20

Premium Subscriber
Good information, thanks everyone.

Does anyone have a good online source to outline how to setup a FreeDOS Thumbdrive or CD??? All Links Welcome!!!!

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Just take the easy way and buy an old computer and install DOS on the HARD DRIVE. When you start trying to use USB/Thumb drives and CD-ROMs with Motorola RSS, you're only inviting problems. Seriously, get an old computer for $20.00 and install the RSS on it. You'll be MUCH happier when your programming platform WORKS.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I use 2 laptops old Dell PII laptop that runs windows 98 that I can do most everything DOS RSS and Astro saber/XTS3000 CPS on.. I also have a Sony laptop that I run WinXP on to use for my XTS5000, Astro Saber/XTS3000 and CDM CPS stuff on. In a pinch I have a wireless card on on it, if my desktop is busy with the kids at Webkinz.com

K4APR

I keep an old IBM 486 Thinkpad around for all of my DOS-based programming. Real serial port, slow enough to run any of the DOS software, portable and just downright reliable.

SCPD

QRT
What's the problem?

Hey everyone. Everything I am seeing about HT1000 programming seems to point towards it requiring older computers (like 486s) and DOS based systems like Windows 95 or even DOS installs on computers.

With Windows VISTA and XP out there, how the heck does everyone program these radios???? Do you keep those old machines around? Is there any way to use a DOS Emulator (ala DOSBOX) or some other imaging software that makes programmign these radios with an XP based computer possible?????

I'm just curious, PLEASE someone enlighten me!!!

Well, first off, what's the issue that comes up when you try to run the software on the newer machines you got now?

I really never have an issue with even the oldest (HT600 and P200) software, on newer machines. The only radio software that gives me an issue is for the GP300. I get some sort of error that gives me the option to "ignore". But when I click ignore, it takes off and runs, reads and writes to the radio.,

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Robbie, please check the age of the thread before posting to it. I'm sure after 4-1/2 years the OP has found his answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.