How to avoid user IDs?

hiyudurin

Is there a way to avoid User IDs on the 536HP? I know it's an odd question but I will explain why I'm asking.

I work for a public service agency that uses the NC VIPER network for communications. My agency has multiple dispatch talk groups that the Comm center simulcasts over but you can only hear the return traffic on each individual talk group. My work area has one talk group that is primary for our mobile radios. I would like to be able to scan all the talk groups for the return traffic but when the Comm center starts broadcasting, it creates a terrible echo between my scanner and my mobile radio. The scanner seems to be a quarter second or so behind my mobile radio. It's very hard to understand what is being said unless I turn the volume down quickly on either the scanner or the radio but sometimes I forget to turn the volume back up. I have identified and named the User ID for the Comm center, I would like to be able to avoid the Comm center User ID so I can get rid of the echo. I will still be able to hear the Comm center on my mobile radio if it is avoided in my scanner. Any advice is very appreciated.

Ubbe

I haven't tried it, but what happens if there are a private call, user to user, and you do an Avoid? You get an error tone? What if you in the TG department program a TG of i123456 or whatever the UID are and do an Avoid?

/Ubbe

hiyudurin

It didn’t work. I can’t enter a TGID with the “i” in front of the number. The user ID number is also too long to enter.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The "i" before the talkgroup ID pertains to older model scanners (x96 variety). Setting up Radio ID tags was a later feature add, and this was needed to make the firmware upgrade work.

The x36 and SDS scanners handle Radio IDs differently as that functionality was part of the initial "build" or design.

The bottom line is that you cannot lockout/avoid Radio IDs. Liken this to trying to turn off certain actors in a television show, but leave other actors there. Just can't be done. You either turn off the program or put up with the certain actors.

The delay issue you mention is related to how the scanner processes the digital signal to audible sounds as compared to the mobile radio.

The words of Mick Jagger come to mind: "You can't always get what you want, but if you try hard enough you get what you need."

Ubbe

I think it is supposed to work but the function are full of bugs. I made a OFT system with a conventional DMR frequency, I have no P25 systems, and locked out two ixxx UID's that are the dispatchers in that system and they only use private calls. When those dispatcher talks there's nothing on the display and the signal strength bars and the DMR text indicate that it leaves the frequency in the same way as if it was encrypted, although I have a hold on the system. There's no other frequency to go to but it still loose the signal strength in an erratic fashion during conversations.

Sometimes it works in reverse and I only hear the dispatchers and not the mobiles but at other times I hear the mobile if he transmits first and when the dispatcher answers, I have a second scanner that monitors in a normal way, it mutes and display go blank but then the mobile are usually also muted and blank for the rest of the call. Sometimes the dispatcher are heard and displayed at the end of the call and sometimes the dispatcher are heard but the mobiles UID are displayed.

It's a very unreliable function and can have something to do with TG delay time, but it can't be set to 0 as that will then automatically be set to 2 sec.

I believe that Unidens intention where to have this working to be able to lock out UID's but the function are now bug ridden.
It can probably be investigated by Uniden and fixed to work properly, if they care enough of their users. @JoeBearcat

/Ubbe

hiyudurin

Set the dispatch TG to avoid while you are at work and listening to it on your work radio. Then when you don’t have the work radio you can turn the TG back on.
The problem is that the dispatch is simulcast over four talk groups, I would have to avoid all four talk groups. That will make me miss the return traffic from the mobile radios. I already have my area talk group avoided due to the echo of radio traffic in both directions. My wish was that I could somehow “mute” dispatch on the other three talk groups so I can hear all the mobiles. I would still be able to hear dispatch on my mobile radio. I like to scan the neighboring areas in case there is a mutual aid situation. I have no need to hear anything while I’m not working.

Last edited:

Ubbe

Uniden needs to fix this as there now are some functionality but doesn't work as it should. When I have one ixxx UID avoided in the private conversation it sometimes displays that ixxx as a TG without the i and when I push enter to save it is stored as a normal TG. So the functionality are totally confused over whats going on. It seems to be three different program code segments at work that do not know what the other code segments are doing and they fight against each other to take control over the skip function and what to display.

/Ubbe

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The problem is that the dispatch is simulcast over four talk groups, I would have to avoid all four talk groups.

Seems to me this is impractical and possibly frowned on by the FCC. If the folks on Talkgroup "A" don't get the return traffic on Talkgroup "B", how does Talkgroup "A" know the channel is clear for them to transmit? Or if Talkgroup "B" initiates a longish conversation, Talkgroup "A" won't know they should not transmit.

Yeah, trunked systems have the "Ok to transmit" chirp, but its still gotta be aggravating getting, more or less, "bonked" until you can finally get in.

gary123

The multi TG (dispatch) request loaded in the outgoing call que. The CC will then bounce replies (busy tone) on the TGs until the multi call (dispatch) is completed. Unless someone is long winded this usually only takes a few seconds until all channels are being held clear for the multi TG (dispatch) request. It is also possible to program the console so that the mutli TG (dispatch) request can simply over ride the repeater outputs and "talk over" the users currently on a TG.

Ubbe

There's sometimes a priority function in systems, that can be programmed to only work on supervisor radios or dispatchers, that when you normally do PTT in a busy system you get placed in a queue but if you hold down the PTT it will put you in the first position in the queue and even end another call to quickly set up the priority call.

/Ubbe

hiyudurin

There's sometimes a priority function in systems, that can be programmed to only work on supervisor radios or dispatchers, that when you normally do PTT in a busy system you get placed in a queue but if you hold down the PTT it will put you in the first position in the queue and even end another call to quickly set up the priority call.

/Ubbe
That’s what the orange emergency button on our radios do. If you activate the emergency button, your radio takes priority over all other radios.