How to better organize my Pro 106 in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemi348

I made this thread for people to post differant ways of programming your scanner to make it the most usefull for it's purposes.

Example: I drive alot at work and programmed mine by county (pro-106 model). I have local pd, fire and hp on their own numbers and the rest of the countys on their own numbers.

I have only had mine like 2 months and wondered If that was a good way of splitting them up or maybe their is a better way. I journey through wake, durham, orange, granville and slightly johnston, guilford/alamance and franklin.

Last edited by a moderator:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I helped you make your thread title more descriptive as your original
thread title "scanning for dummies" was a little too vague and not apt
to get you many responses.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Drafin

I have the GRE version of your scanner and I have (and am tinkering) with scan lists.

Right now this is the way I am currently setup:

*** - denotes scan list is on most times

*** - 1. Home County Dispatch - Fire, Law, EMS, Rescue. No Tac channels or anything except main dispatch channels.

2. Home County Tac and Misc. - This includes the Tac channels, local government channels, Hospital freqs and TGs, system wild cards and anything that is not related to main dispatch channels.

3.Largest city in county - ALL - Everything from the county seat including their dispatch , tac and all channels.

4. Neighboring County Dispatch - Fire, Law, EMS, Rescue. Same as scan list 1 but for a neighboring county that I am in very frequently.

5. Neighboring County Tac and Misc - same as bank two except it is for a neighboring county that I am in frequently.

6. All other surrounding counties - These are the bordering counties that I am in occasionally but not nearly as often as the other banks. This is all inclusive for Fire, Law, EMS, Rescue, local government and everything you can think of in those counties.

7. NC All - These are the frequencies and talk groups for non local divisions of NC agencies including non local Med, DMV, DOC, Roaming TGs, NC SBI, ALE and other agencies not normally active in this area. Not including NCSHP.

*** - 8. NC Local - This is for the NC agencies that are operating in the local area. It includes local prisons, DMV, ALE, and other non NCSHP agencies.

9. SHP ALL - This is all non Viper SHP freqs as well as SHP non local stuff.

*** - 10. NCSHP Local Viper - These are the active local NCSHP Viper freqs including the events channels and the standard dispatch TGs.

11. Local City EDACS - This is an EDACS system for a local agency that will eventually be Pro Voice. Only has it's own scanlist so when it goes PV that I can move it easily to an obsolete scanlist.

12. Schools - All school buses and mechanics in the area. Handy for winter time road conditions.

13. Business - Local business frequencies.

14. Ham - Repeater and simplex frequencies.

15. Air - Local airports and MilAir as well as other air comms.

16. Rail - ummm Railroads. :)

17. Search - specialized search sets.

18. Obsolete - Freqs that are no longer used, seldomly used, or used as backup systems.

19. Parks - Blue Ridge Parkway, National Parks and other "hiking" freqs. (I'm a hiker. :) )

*** - 20. Federal - Local TGs and freqs for Federal agencies.

FAV is all Law dispatch channels local and surrounding.

SKY is western NC ham freqs

This may not be the best way but this is what I am currently scanning. The reasoning behind it is that you scan a minimal amount unless an event is occurring and then you can open up more to hear all the things that are going on when something big happens. Keeping the amount of things scanned to a minimum allows the scanner to get through the entire list quickly so that important things are not missed.

If anyone has any improvement suggestions I'm open to them.

Draf

Last edited:

Drafin

I also need to add that the reason scanlists 1-10 are number as such is so that they are easy to turn on and off as I travel. One button push vs. having to hit function first. :)

Draf

Hemi348

That is pretty smart having tacs on its own, I never thought about that. Oh and thanks KE4ZNR for re- labeling it, I was having a mental block and it was late.

Status
Not open for further replies.