• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to build a basic portable repeater system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9-cop

I have two UHF mobile radios laying around along with a collapsable mast and an extra antenna. I was wondering what other equipment I need to build a portable repeater system that could be set up at a mobile command post.

I don't want anything fancy, just the basics. Any links to products, articles, or examples would be much appreciated.

n8emr

What radio service do you plan on putting the repeater in?

For GMRS you dont need an IDer, For commercial and amateur you will.
Your going to need a duplexer, some sort of controller and you will need access to
the COR/CO and , de-emphised audio from the receive radio, your going to need to bring out transmit audio and ptt on the transmitter.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Here's an excellent collection of how-to articles:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/

There are links there to controllers, both simple and quite complex. But that web site has pretty much anything you might want to know about repeaters, and the various pieces of hardware required to make one.

From some of your other posts, it's clear that you're not technically inclined, meaning you're an end user. I'd suggest you locate a resource that can build one up for you, rather than doing it yourself. Without the proper test equipment and knowledge, getting any type of repeater to operate properly, let alone legally, can be challenging.

Be aware that not all mobile radios can (or should) be turned into a repeater. Some have transmitters that are simply too noisy to allow a receiver to co-exist nearby. Many are incapable of being keyed up in the duty cycles that repeaters see without over heating. Many have receivers that are incapable of coexisting even next to a clean transmitter without having problems.

prcguy

A duplexer is a given with only one antenna. You can probably use a busy light, COS or PL detect line in one radio to directly key the transmitter in the other (might need a transistor or relay as buffer) and a simple potentiometer to feed audio from the volume control hi in one radio to the mic input of the other. Ive done this with success but not for anything that was left in service for more than a day or two.
prcguy
zz0468 said:
Here's an excellent collection of how-to articles:

http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/

There are links there to controllers, both simple and quite complex. But that web site has pretty much anything you might want to know about repeaters, and the various pieces of hardware required to make one.

From some of your other posts, it's clear that you're not technically inclined, meaning you're an end user. I'd suggest you locate a resource that can build one up for you, rather than doing it yourself. Without the proper test equipment and knowledge, getting any type of repeater to operate properly, let alone legally, can be challenging.

Be aware that not all mobile radios can (or should) be turned into a repeater. Some have transmitters that are simply too noisy to allow a receiver to co-exist nearby. Many are incapable of being keyed up in the duty cycles that repeaters see without over heating. Many have receivers that are incapable of coexisting even next to a clean transmitter without having problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.