How to change window display color

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1508J

Greetings!

How do you change the display window color for the Uniden trunktractor IV 396 manually? Right now when different systems are received the window will change to different colors. I want the scanner to display in white no matter what system/channel is active. Is there a procedure that I can follow using the scanner and not using software. FYI I was given this scanner without software therefore I must use only the functions on the scanner itself.

Thanks de n1508j

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
It's been a while since I used my 396 and since I never had different colors assigned to different systems/channels, I can't provide a direct answer. You might, however, find what you need with the "Easier To Read" manual:

Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

As for software, you can obtain that on your own as well. "FreeSCAN" and "ARC XT" are popular choices.

N1508J

Thanks Shyflier for the fast response. I have checked the so called easier to read manual and could not find what I was looking for. I appreciate your suggestion...thanks again!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like each channel has a channel alert set. That is not going to be a simple thing to undo (or describe, as the specific steps depend on the kinds of system). Generally, you need to edit each channel and turn off the channel alert.

Easier with software, which is freely downloadable (for example, Sixspot Software).

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Greetings!

How do you change the display window color for the Uniden trunktractor IV 396 manually? Right now when different systems are received the window will change to different colors. I want the scanner to display in white no matter what system/channel is active. Is there a procedure that I can follow using the scanner and not using software. FYI I was given this scanner without software therefore I must use only the functions on the scanner itself.

Thanks de n1508j

Sounds like each channel has a channel alert set. That is not going to be a simple thing to undo (or describe, as the specific steps depend on the kinds of system). Generally, you need to edit each channel and turn off the channel alert.

Easier with software, which is freely downloadable (for example, Sixspot Software).
As UPMan noted, this is much easier done with software, such as the FreeSCAN link he provided.

If you have the programming cable, install FreeSCAN and connect the scanner to your PC.
"Read" the scanner to the software.
Edit the various systems' frequencies and talkgroup ID's to select the mode (white) that you want. In FreeSCAN, when editing a system, be sure to remove the checkmark in the Simple View box. That way, you can see the field for setting the colors.

In FreeSCAN when editing, click on the first entry in a group, hold down the <shift> key and click on the bottom one, to select all the lines.
Hold down the <CTRL> key, and change one item to the White alert color. That will change all of the highlighted lines to the same setting.

The FreeSCAN User Guide is in the Wiki: FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.