• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to convert NAC to useful numbers for Moto cps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

V188

Premium Subscriber
Some of these NAC numbers have me stumped. I've got some Astro simplex channels I'm trying to program into an xts3000. They have odd NAC's. I can't figure out how to convert them to a useful number that I can load into CPS. They are interop fire/EMS channels mostly.

Is there some simple method to convert?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.1047 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

NAC is a three digit Hexidecimal number these are numbers 0-F. What is the problem?

CPS most likely wants the NAC entered in hex.

V188

Premium Subscriber
I'm aware of what NAC is. The problem is Moto CPS only allows numbers to be entered. Alpha characters aren't numbers, example: $ k2 a. I just made that one up. How do I convert it to work with CPS software?

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The software for XTS3000 definitely allows hexadecimal (0-9 and A-F) characters. I'm looking at it right now.

NAC for a conventional channel is entered on the Conventional Personality page, "ASTRO" tab. It's called "Network ID". I'm not sure where you are that you're getting an inability to enter hex.

I can enter F7E into Rx (I can put it in Tx too, but the software complains, because F7E is the receive-all code, which shouldn't be transmitted). I can put ABC in there, or 4FD, or 293 (which is what "interop channels" typically use).

Now APX software, on the other hand, allows you to enter either decimal values or hex values for a NAC. But APX will never, ever program an XTS3000.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I'm aware of what NAC is. The problem is Moto CPS only allows numbers to be entered. Alpha characters aren't numbers, example: $ k2 a. I just made that one up. How do I convert it to work with CPS software?

Well I respectfully disagree. If you knew what HEX was you would know 'k' is not a valid HEX character.

Hex(base 16) is made up of the same numbers as base 10(dec), plus the ALPHA characters A, B, C, D, E and F to make up the 'extra' 6 characters in base 16. One valid NAC I KNOW is correct is $4CE, used by the RCMP here in Canada.

The NAC $293(hex)=659(base10) $4CE(hex)=1230(base10) if the NAC has a '$' sing in front of it, it is a hex number.

$ k2a is not valid because the letter k is not a valid symbol used in hex.

In a lot of radio programming software, the NAC will need to be entered as a hex value.

Below is a small chart to explain. The left column are normal base 10(DEC) numbers every one uses, the right side is the same DEC number converted to base 16(HEX)

1=$1
2=$2
9=$9
10=$A
11=$B
12=$C
13=$D
15=$F
16=$10
17=$11
20=$14
30=$1E
100=$64
500=$1F4
1000=$3E8

How to convert from DEC to HEX you ask?

LMGTFY:

http://www.unitconversion.org/numbers/base-10-to-base-16-conversion.html

Try entering $4CE (do not include the dollar symbol, it is only there to tell you the value is HEX) and let us know how that works out for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

V188

Premium Subscriber
Jay, thanks that's what I needed. For some reason when I initially tried to enter other than numbers RSS balked. I just retried it and it works.

Kay, as I said the K was "just made up". I don't need to calculate anything now since I figured out that portion of rss. But you did provide new info for me to study and I appreciate it.

Thanks comm jjunkie.

Status
Not open for further replies.