How to create "priority TG" using 996

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
I currently only have one system programmed with 10 talkgroups on ID scan. I would like it to continue to scan all of the talk groups, but make it so that one TGhas priority over the others. Is this possible?

mdulrich

Feed Provider
UFEMTFF said:
I currently only have one system programmed with 10 talkgroups on ID scan. I would like it to continue to scan all of the talk groups, but make it so that one TGhas priority over the others. Is this possible?

No it is not.

Mike

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
mdulrich said:
No it is not.

Mike
Are there any scanners that do this, or is it impossible on any due to the way trunking works?

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
UFEMTFF said:
Are there any scanners that do this, or is it impossible on any due to the way trunking works?

It's not theoretically impossible, but there are no scanners currently that can do that. You'd need multiple radio receivers to accomplish this goal.

Go-24

I don't have any experience in using the priority option but I believe it is set up to work on conventional channels and not trunked groups ...

You might still be able to work around that though; maybe you could create a second system with only the one talkgroup and adjust the hold / delay times etc maybe you might also add alert on the one TG ...

scanbc780

Usually Lurking
Kirk,
The 780, 785, and 796 all have a TG priority function which works very good. I will be very surprised to find its not available on the 996.
Here is a copy of the 796 manual.

Edit: The only downside to TG Priority is that it only as a TG Proiority. It will not work if you are on a conventional channel or on another CC in another bank. I just got done searching through the manual for the BCD996 and believe they left out the TG Priority in this scanner as I found no notation of it anywhere.

Setting Priority Talkgroups (Motorola and EDACS only)
Talkgroup priority works slightly different than conventional priority. With talkgroup priority,
the priority talkgroups are only checked when the scanner is on the control channel. So, if
you have delay turned on for the system or are holding on an ID, the scanner will
immediately switch to the priority talkgroup if it becomes active during the delay or while
there is no transmission on the held talkgroup.
To assign a talkgroup as the priority talkgroup, select it in Scan Hold mode (see “Holding on
a Single Talkgroup”). Then, press and hold PRI for 2 seconds.

Kirk said:
It's not theoretically impossible, but there are no scanners currently that can do that. You'd need multiple radio receivers to accomplish this goal.

Last edited:

squirrel

Premium Subscriber
I also have a 780 and I use the Talkgroup priority and it works great. I scan alot of TG's but I am more concerned what is going on with fire than anything else. The 780 was nice cause I would hardly ever miss anything. But now my county went digital hence i got the 396T

Maybe this is something Uniden can add in the next version of firmware?

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Priority with talkgroups is NOT the same as priority with frequencies.

TG Priority means that if the scanner gets a transmission (on any talkgroups), after the transmission is done it will check the datastream again to see if the priority talkgroup is there and will then lock onto the priority TG before resuming scanning.

It's not needed with the current line of scanners because of the system delay timer, you set it (2 seconds is common) and after any transmissions it will scan the datastream for another x seconds before resuming.

To have true talkgroup priority you would need two receivers inside the scanner - one to give you audio and the other to always be watching the datastream.

Status
Not open for further replies.