How to delay a feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
I have a feed on broadcastify, but i want to put it on a website for the public to listen. The problem is I want is delayed by a few minutes so that local authorities are ok with it. How would i go about doing this? It would be nice if I could have a delayed and non delayed feed since i listen to the feed as well, i know thats asking alot but is there any way to do this?

Thanks!

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Could feed the audio into a DVR, and pause the dvr for the time you want the delay, then hit play.
Should work with an unsubscribed Tivo, which can be picked up fairly cheaply. You might have to supply a static video signal to keep it recording, however.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
Clarification on what i am trying to do, my computer already hosts 1 broadcastify feed. I want to keep the live feed for my use and those that help me run the twitter feed. I want to create a second broadcastify feed that is delayed a couple minutes for the general public, since that is what local authorities would like. Is there an easy way to do this?

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Search Delay feed on the boards, you'll find it's only allowed on feeds from the agencies themselves. So, your second feed would not be allowed on Broadcastify.

I agree with the DVR idea, but you'd have to host it on your own website.

troymail

Silent Key
It's great to see feed providers considering delay as a compromise to avoid jurisdictions going to encryption.

These ideas need to be supported rather than shunned. Otherwise, the days of listening are numbered.

Perhaps delay like this should be applied across the board by default as a good faith solution.

As a enthusiast does it really matter if the feed is delayed a 5-10 minutes vs. permanently with encryption?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
There should be some software method for accomplishing the delay. Since this would not be a common software, it would take some digging.

Sent via Tapatalk

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
You will not be able to do a delayed feed on Broadcastify. Delay is not allowed. You would need to find another site to host the delayed feed, or set up your own site specifically for it.

SCPD

QRT
There is a program out there called AudioDelay. Played with it a couple of time and seems to work well. Lindsey has stated the feeds have a bit of a delay in them anyway, but since it's for your own site then delay away!

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
We don't allow delayed feeds on Broadcastify unless it comes directly from the official agency sponsoring the feed.

The reason is that there are too many confusing variables involved for the listeners which will cause major support issues for our staff in addition to archive issues. Archives are timestamped and would have to either be time shifted based on the delay or the listeners would have to take into account the delay when searching for an archive. Again, more confusion. And frankly, the archives are very valuable to supporting the business of broadcastify.

Implementing system-wide capabilities to delay feeds would be cost prohibitive as well. It would take an large amount of storage and resources to implement delays for even 25% of our 4000+ feeds. Delays would have to happen on the client (broadcaster) side.

We're sniffing around delay capabilities, but right now our official policy still stands --> No intentionally delayed feeds unless they are official feeds.

Thanks,

SCPD

QRT
There is a program out there called AudioDelay. Played with it a couple of time and seems to work well. Lindsey has stated the feeds have a bit of a delay in them anyway, but since it's for your own site then delay away!

Sorry Lindsay for not correctly spelling your name, gettin old and the brain ain't what it used to be.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
So the radiodelay software works great, but i need to delay my feed by 10 minutes, as that is what police have requested. I have the ability to loop it through 2 instances of the radiodelay software, but that is it, and that still only gives me 6 minutes. Is there any version of the software or easy fix to extend the delay time. I am so close yet so far away.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
So the radiodelay software works great, but i need to delay my feed by 10 minutes, as that is what police have requested. I have the ability to loop it through 2 instances of the radiodelay software, but that is it, and that still only gives me 6 minutes. Is there any version of the software or easy fix to extend the delay time. I am so close yet so far away.

Kevin, be advised that you cannot implement delays on your feed to Broadcastify. If you willfully do so, you will need to find a new host for your feed or host it yourself.

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
I am not implementing a delay on my feed hosted by RR, that one will remain live, I am hosting the delayed feed through mixlr.

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
I have a feed on broadcastify, but i want to put it on a website for the public to listen. The problem is I want is delayed by a few minutes so that local authorities are ok with it. How would i go about doing this? It would be nice if I could have a delayed and non delayed feed since i listen to the feed as well, i know thats asking alot but is there any way to do this?

Thanks!

Audio Delay - Delay Radio Broadcasts - Sychnronize TV and Radio

WDE, LLC: Products - SW based Digital Audio Delay

mdsxfire

EDBM
So I know this is a really old thread, but has broadcastify looked at their policy on delaying feeds, if the encryption trend continues there will be no need for them or any other scanner feed sites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You'd be better off asking your question in the Broadcastify Admin forum rather than bring a three year old thread back to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.