• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to determine if my APX is intrinsically safe

human8472

I have an APX6000 VHF radio. Model # is H98KGH9PW7AN. How do I tell if it is intrinsically safe? Thank you.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Got to ask...why does it matter to you? If you are in a working situation where IS is a requirement, then you need to let your department handle issuing you the radio you need and they can also handle the task of ensuring that it's in conformance with all applicable policies and regulations required to maintain Intrinsicaly Safe/Hazardous Locations certification.

You would not want to bring your own personal non-IS-certified (currently certified compliant) into a work environment that require IS certifications, as to do so would subject you to substantial liabilities in the event of involvement of a situation involving injury or loss of life where failure of communications may be a factor.

You may presume that a personally owned IS/HazLoc radio is FORMERLY certified and not currently in compliance, unless it has been tested and issued certifications by a fully qualified maintenance shop.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
In the air force, the current rules are.

4.6. Intrinsically Safe.
4.6.1. PWCS managers will participate in development of local Intrinsically Safe LMR
operational procedures with Base Safety and Fire Marshall and for processing use
requirements through command safety channels. (T-2).
4.6.2. Radios may have a green dot on them and may say “Intrinsically Safe;” however,
that does not mean they have been certified as such. A radio is considered Intrinsically
Safe when the battery and the radio itself are stamped Factory Mutual (FM) Approved
Intrinsically Safe.
4.6.3. Recertification occurs any time outer case has been breached in a manner, which
exposes internal circuits of unit. (This does not include: replacement of antenna;
changing/replacing battery pack; software loaded into unit; replacing a control knob;
replacing an escutcheon or belt clip). If for any reason a radio needs repair, it then needs
to be re-certified as FM Approved.

Hope this helps.

Joel

AM909

Radio/computer geek
Premium Subscriber
FWIW, this says:
... APX 6000 ... radio models, when properly equipped with the FM-listed batteries NNTN7033, NNTN7035, NNTN7036 and NNTN8092A, are FM Approved as intrinsically safe for permitted use in hazardous classified location areas for Division 1, Class I, Groups C, D, and Class II, Groups E, F, G, and Class III, Temp Code T3C.

The APX radios are also FM Approved for use in Division 2, Class I, Groups A, B, C, D. Temp Code T3C.
on page 1 and specifically includes H98KGH9PW7AN TANAPAs MNUD1005, MNUD1006, MNUD1011, MNUD1012, MNUD1017, and MNUD1018 on page 4.

Disclaimer: IANA expert. Do not rely on this with regard to using your radio in hazardous environments. Ask whoever last serviced it.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
FWIW, this says: on page 1 and specifically includes H98KGH9PW7AN TANAPAs MNUD1005, MNUD1006, MNUD1011, MNUD1012, MNUD1017, and MNUD1018 on page 4.

Disclaimer: IANA expert. Do not rely on this with regard to using your radio in hazardous environments. Ask whoever last serviced it.
Neither of our references address the routine inspection requirements (as gaskets and seals eventually dry up).

Thanks
Joel

PACNWDude

The HazLoc Class 1 Division 1 stickers, with compatible battery (same type of labels) are the giveaway if they are maintained to the standard. FM was replaced with Underwriters Laboratories (UL) now in place of Factory Mutual (FM) certification. That green dot on the radio and battery is now a white dot in the United States. CSA Canada is equivalent for that market, India is BIS (Bureau of Institute of Standards).....going through this for ensuring Motorola XPR7550e/XiR P8668 radios meet spec.

Real world, you must replace gaskets when the case/chassis is taken apart for maintenance or repair. Then pressure test, nitrogen purge and water intrusion dunk test.....where some radios will fail. Also did this in the military and the Land Mobile Radio (LMR) shop is also usually doing this for night vision and scopes as well....since they have the same equipment requirement for filling with nitrogen and sealing all gaskets.

Truth be told, I just finished IS certification training for Kenwood radios, and they do not require nitrogen or the water dunk test.....instead just pressure testing the gaskets with a negative pressure test. I suspect corners can be cut by other manufacturers as well, but while in the oil industry and repairing Motorola radios, no corners were cut, as previously mentioned by others, lives may be at stake. Looks for the hazardous location stickers and green or white dots on radio and battery.

PACNWDude

Op is in luck, another thread discusses IS rating for a SRX2200 (military version of APX4000).

williewhyte

FM stopped being supported December 2020. Unable get batteries since May 2021. Motorola do not repair the FM APX6000 model as of Dec 202 and certify for FM. Motorola would repair radio but no FM certification, therefor we could not use the radios
We had a few thousand for the mine and are replacing them as they fail. Difficult with covid and waiting on equipment now.

mbnv992

Speaking of UL labels on APX radios - I’ve noticed that some UL Approved labels are white text on a black backround and some are black texts on a white backround. What’s the difference ? I’d ASSume one type of label is newer than the other ? They both say the exact same thing just a different color ( I’m talking about the “UL” label on the side of the radio ). I’ve seen APX8000 and APX8000H’s with both type of labels.

williewhyte

I don't suppose you could find out what the mine does to dispose of these failed APX6000 radio, by chance? I'm sure that plenty of people would like a chance to buy or bid on them.
We waiting on decision. We have already suggested this, but no decision as yet, think putting off till have to deal with it. Most of them are volumes broken or physical damage to plastic casings. used to test and confirm working before tossed in pending box. Will suggest again

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Does anyone know of a source to get a replacement UL or FM label
The shop that recertifies it should be able to help. If you read any of this thread it would be obvious why Joe Dip**** can't just buy these labels and slap them on. And if your radio lacks the labeling, then it should fail the visual inspection and be sidelined until it can be recertified.