• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to determine P25 tone out tones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djbisme

Premium Subscriber
Our local Fire Departments get toned out digitally over the Michigan MPSCS P25 system. I don't hear any tones from either my G5 or SDS100 when they receive a call. Is there a way to determine what these tones are and program them into the G5? Or do I have to get them from someone on the FD or radio company that programmed them (which would be tough)?

N6ML

If you can't hear tones, the app won't do you any good. It's probably not actually tones, but P25 messages sent to specific subscriber IDs. You may be able to program those and alert on them. I don't know enough about how P25 paging works to make specific suggestions....

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Since you hear no tones I wonder if they are alerted via Call Alert?

djbisme

Premium Subscriber
I found this PPT online that describes the Michigan MPSCS system and paging. It sounds like this region uses TG based paging for the Unication pagers. I thought each dept would have it's own TG in this case - but all the paging (voice portion at least) comes out over the main dispatch Talkgroup for the county. Still stumped.... =)
DTMB Powerpoint Template - 2015 (michigan.gov)

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Are you sure they aren’t patching the main Dispatch talkgroup with the paging talkgroup?

djbisme

Premium Subscriber
Are you sure they aren’t patching the main Dispatch talkgroup with the paging talkgroup?

Not sure, is that a common practice? There is no specific TG listed in RR for 'Berrien Springs', for instance (or some of the other local depts that get dispatched this way). Would there be a different paging TG for each specific dept?

Loopy1

Feed Provider
It's entirely likely. In true P25 paging the pager listens for traffic on a specific dedicated TG. The pager records that traffic, alerts the user, then plays back the recorded message. What the responder hears from the pager is not in real time. The paging TG's are also usually patched to the main dispatch channel. While codacs have gotten better over the years they are optimized for human speech and have trouble accurately reproducing the analog tones used in legacy pagers.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
It's entirely likely. In true P25 paging the pager listens for traffic on a specific dedicated TG. The pager records that traffic, alerts the user, then plays back the recorded message. What the responder hears from the pager is not in real time. The paging TG's are also usually patched to the main dispatch channel.

There is no "true P25 paging" but rather various ways it can be done, all of which are holdovers from earlier types of systems: Call Alert from the console, dedicated per-agency talkgroup, and paging over P25. All are real-time but each has drawbacks.

Unication G4/G5 pagers work great with any of the above methods.

If the OP isn't hearing any tones, what is likely happening is that alerting is being done on an agency-specific talkgroup.

While codacs have gotten better over the years they are optimized for human speech and have trouble accurately reproducing the analog tones used in legacy pagers.

This was true for the older generation P25 radios but is not quite true anymore. Analog tone reproduction from the AMBE+2 vocoders (which have been around for several years at this point) is quite good, and paging over P25 is becoming a thing.

djbisme

Premium Subscriber
If the OP isn't hearing any tones, what is likely happening is that alerting is being done on an agency-specific talkgroup.

Do you know of a way to determine what the agency-specific TGs might be? I also have an SDS100 which can be setup to monitor all TGs on a control channel (I think).

djbisme

Premium Subscriber
Doing some more digging - it appears there are some paging specific TGs in use. But these are the only ones listed here on RR. I don't monitor these specific TGs, but I do hear their dispatches on the main TG3130 channel. Maybe each dept does have it's own specific paging TG and the others just aren't listed?

13747​
35b311FDBHCDBenton Harbor City Fire PageFire DispatchBerrien County 11 Fire
13963​
368b11FDSTJDSt Joseph Fire PagingFire DispatchBerrien County 11 Fire
23134​
5a5e11FDLINCDLincoln Township Fire PageFire DispatchBerrien County 11 Fire

Maybe I can setup my SDS100 to monitor just these TGs and see what traffic is on them - then see if it is replicated on the main dispatch TG3130?

MidwestRadioListener

Premium Subscriber
Any chance they could be dispatched primarily using the network out of CAD then as a backup doing Call Alert, tones, etc over p25? Lots of places seem like they are paging via network now a days around my area.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Any chance they could be dispatched primarily using the network out of CAD then as a backup doing Call Alert, tones, etc over p25? Lots of places seem like they are paging via network now a days around my area.

If there are no tones that's a definite possibility, but only for a full-time department; wouldn't work for volunteers requiring tone-out.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
If your area does tone out like Washtenaw County, there are dispatch TG, and separate TG called PageGroups. The PG are specific to the agency, with most agencies having more than one PG assigned. (There could one per station, one for all-call, there is one for county-wide alerts, etc.)

The audio for the dispatch is carried on the PG, and the primary dispatch for that agency. If multiple agencies are being dispatched to the same event, the call is multi-selected, to all appropriate TG & PG.

djbisme

Premium Subscriber
If your area does tone out like Washtenaw County, there are dispatch TG, and separate TG called PageGroups. The PG are specific to the agency, with most agencies having more than one PG assigned. (There could one per station, one for all-call, there is one for county-wide alerts, etc.)

The audio for the dispatch is carried on the PG, and the primary dispatch for that agency. If multiple agencies are being dispatched to the same event, the call is multi-selected, to all appropriate TG & PG.

Yes, I finally figured out this is how Berrien County MI is doing their paging. Each agency has a separate/specific PageGroup (Talk Group). They are paged on these TGs, then all traffic is on the main fire (F911) TG.

I was able to setup my SDS100 in discovery mode, monitoring just my local CC. I setup an 'uber' favorite list with all the known TGs in it already, then set the discovery to just log the new 'unknown' TGs. After letting it run for a few days I was able to figure out the PageGroup numbering scheme (they are in the 12000's).

I have a table of most of the page TGs now for our county - should these be added to the RR database? I can add them to this thread as well in case anyone else is interested.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I have a table of most of the page TGs now for our county - should these be added to the RR database? I can add them to this thread as well in case anyone else is interested.

If they're confirmed, by all means please submit them.

djbisme

Premium Subscriber
If they're confirmed, by all means please submit them.
What do you mean by "confirmed"? I have verified that they are correct, is that enough? I haven't submitted anything yet, I'll have to look for the process.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
What do you mean by "confirmed"? I have verified that they are correct, is that enough?

Yes, that should be fine.

Verification means that the talkgroup(s) have been monitored and the agency and usage confirmed. We occasionally get people who will simply submit logs from software scanning programs which simply vomit out logs of everything they see, but that provides no verification of agency or usage.

I haven't submitted anything yet, I'll have to look for the process.

Just go the the database page for the trunked system in question (MPSCS), and look for the "Submit" tab at the top.

MPSCS.png

djbisme

Premium Subscriber
Here are the paging talk groups for Berrien County, Michigan, for those following the thread:

DecimalHexAlpha TagModeDescriptionTagCategory
1325133C313251DNiles City PagingFire DispatchBerrien County Paging
1374735B311FDBHCDBenton Harbor City Fire PageFire DispatchBerrien County Paging
13963368B11FDSTJDSt Joseph Fire PagingFire DispatchBerrien County Paging
13979369BDNew Buffalo Twp Fire PagingFire DispatchBerrien County Paging
231265A5623126DBuchanan City Fire PagingFire DispatchBerrien County Paging
231275A5723127DBertrand Twp Fire PagingFire DispatchBerrien County Paging
231285A5823128DBertrand&Buchanan Twp PagingFire DispatchBerrien County Paging
231305A5ABSOFDDBerrien Springs Fire PagingFire DispatchBerrien County Paging
231315A5B23131DBenton Twp Fire PagingFire DispatchBerrien County Paging
231345A5E11FDLINCDLincoln Township Fire PageFire DispatchBerrien County Paging
231355A5F23135DChicaming Fire First Resp PagingFire DispatchBerrien County Paging
231385A6223138DNorth Berrien Fire PagingFire DispatchBerrien County Paging
231405A6423140DNiles Twp Fire PagingFire DispatchBerrien County Paging
231505A6E23150DThree Oaks Amb PagingFire DispatchBerrien County Paging
231515A6F23151DThree Oaks Fire PagingFire DispatchBerrien County Paging
231525A7023152DWeesaw Fire PagingFire DispatchBerrien County Paging
231535A71WFDDWatervliet Fire PagingFire DispatchBerrien County Paging

Status
Not open for further replies.