How to determine the active voice frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

phask

Premium Subscriber
With the various comments - some supportive and understanding to my request - here's the reason:

I'm monitoring a system that has two sites - one north and one south.

I am WELL north of the north zone (read: the south zone is WAY off from my location).

I have detected (according to the x36) that I can receive (probably only sometimes) activity on the south zone.

What's odd is that I only seem to be receiving SOME talkgroups on the south zone (I only have the SOUTH frequencies programmed). The north zone is locked out.

I am interested in seeing the voice frequencies that are active on the SOUTH zone voice activity I'm getting to better understand more about why only some activity is being seen. I'really wondering if the SOUTH zone is somehow using 1 or more of the NORTH zone frequencies or maybe even transmitting on north and south zone frequencies at the same time (some of the talkgroups on the system are countywide and others can only be heard on one zone or the other).

On a positive note - the x36 seems to be able o pull in some of the south zone activity

On the flip side - it doesn't tell me enough about what it is receiving to understand what is really happening.

So - again, telling me which slot (0 or 1) of a frequency that isn't provided makes no sense to me... If it doesn't make sense to provide the frequency (as some have suggested), why does it make sense to tell me the time slot which is even less useful?

BTW - I'm relying on recordings to tell me the radio is seeing/hearing this activity. Even if the frequency can't be presented on the display (which I believe it could as an option), it would be nice to at least have it stored in the recording header for later analysis.

Hopefully I've satisfied those who feel there is no need now.

I'd almost bet it's associating with the other and the voice freqs. are shared. Remember - most of that info is user submitted and / or from licensee records. It's only as good as the data.

I just run Unitunker for a few hours, though the HP1 analyze will show this, I rarely use it.

Here is where you need the analyze feature - so just wait :)

Good Luck.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Yea I agree that to me the voice frequency is just as important as TGID. In the two counties I primarily monitor I memorized all the Voice freqs from looking at my BCD 396XT and PSR 800. And sometimes when youre in a bad location a few of the frequencies wont come in well until you move. On the new 436 not being privvy to that info you just miss some conversations and dont know why. At least if you didnt see some of the frequencies coming up you would know youre in a dead spot. I think since the OP said he was only receiving some south traffic, I suspect that may be happening to him. Another reason I would like to see voice channel is because my county's phase 2 system is both 700 and 800 mhz. So optimizing digital performance using the threshold settings gets extra tricky because the 700 freqs seem to propagate different than the 800 ones. And it took me a while to find a setting good for both. Heck, sometimes 2 frequencies in the same band can propagate differently, so to optimize digital performance you need to know what frequency you are listening to.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Nevermind :) If you are listening to the control channel - how do you optimize for a certain voice channel? Do you have access to the controller?

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
1) I use ARC-536 for VC/logging. On single trunk sites (with one CC at any given time, I presume) I am logging the TGs and different frequencies at different times. Thus, presumably I am logging the voice frequencies, and somehow the ARC-536 is reading these. I guess should check with Gommert of Butel to be sure. Because if indeed these are the voice channels, then there must be some firmware update to get them. Come to think of it, there has to be if there is going to be an analyze function.
2) As to why you want to monitor the voice channel frequencies, some of us like a lot of information. If you want to get down to why monitor this or that, why (unless you are a public safety officer) do you even want to own a scanner? If the OP wants to monitor the voice channel frequency, he wants to monitor the voice channel frequency. I find here in Los Angeles that some 800 voice channels get spillover from other sites. Thus, a specific TG may sound fine on one frequency, gets assigned to another, and there is some interference. That info is nice to know.

Steve AA6IO

Status
Not open for further replies.