How to Disable System on BC346XT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajGeek

Another Newby Question... I have downloaded FreeScan and sset up my Scanner with 3 or 4 conventional systems and 3 Trunked systems. I'm looking for a quick way of disabling the Trunking systems like I can the Conventional systems... I can see where to set the SQK for the Conventional systems and they seem to work, allowing me to turn them on and off as I need with a push of the assigned # Button. But on the Trunked systems I can't seem to turn them off... It doesn't look like FreeScan has the option to assign them QuickKeys... In the Manual it seems to indicate you have to assign a QK to each "Site" in the System to control the system... Where have I gone wrong?? :)

Thanks for your patience in advance!

sjlamb

Another Newby Question... I have downloaded FreeScan and sset up my Scanner with 3 or 4 conventional systems and 3 Trunked systems. I'm looking for a quick way of disabling the Trunking systems like I can the Conventional systems... I can see where to set the SQK for the Conventional systems and they seem to work, allowing me to turn them on and off as I need with a push of the assigned # Button. But on the Trunked systems I can't seem to turn them off... It doesn't look like FreeScan has the option to assign them QuickKeys... In the Manual it seems to indicate you have to assign a QK to each "Site" in the System to control the system... Where have I gone wrong?? :)

Thanks for your patience in advance!

Quick Key Assigment begins at the "Site" level. Just set the same Quick Key for each Site within each System. For example, for your first or favorite System, assign each Site in that system the same Quick Key... "1". Do this for each system and number each Site within that system with the next Quick Key.... As in "2". Then, while in Scan mode, pressing the corresponding numeric key on the keypad will turn off that number System. Press #1.... and all sites assigned a Quick of #1 will be turned off.... thus, essentially excluding the entire System from being scanned. Press "1" again, and that Site will be enabled again (as in "turned back on"). Note that the same Quick Key can be assigned to multiple sites within that system. Likewise for groups (Group Quick Keys). For example all Police may be assigned Group Quick Key "1", all Fire & Rescue Group Quick Key "2", so forth and so on.

The above is just one way of organizing each System. You have a lot of flexibilty in arranging your Systems, Sites and Groups with respect to what Quick Key turns them "on" and "off".

You're still thinking in terms of the old way of allocating memory... i.e. "banks" and "channels". Start thinking in terms of "Systems" which are comprised of "Sites" which are comprised of "Groups" which are comprised of "Talkgroups". It is much like a folder on your computer, which may have any number of sub-folders, which may contain any number of additional sub-folders and files.

Last edited:

MajGeek

Thanks it's making more sense... I have a lot of old habits to Un-Learn... I need to look at how I have thinkgs organized and restructure things to work better. Thanks again for taking time to respond!

-Jeff

sjlamb

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a FreeScan file that you can download and open with FreeScan to see how one might set up a County's Trunked Radio System. Seeing how I have arranged things will likely give you a big jump on the learning curve once you can actually view a detailed file setup.

Keep in mind, hower, that what you see in my file is just ONE way to arrange things. In my case, I tend to make each County in my area a "System" with each tower being a "Site" within that System. Then, each site contains separate group for various County law enforcement agencies, Fire Depts, EMS, etc. The Groups and their associated Talkgroups are the same for each site. Thus, whichever site I am closest to at the moment, will receive any any of the Talkgroups that become active.

Status
Not open for further replies.