• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to disable Transmit capabilities on TYT radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny37

I have a TYT UVF8D radio and I want to disable Transmit on certain channels but the programming software doesn't seem to allow me to do so, does anyone know how to?

Thanks.

yeg_scan

The way I have done the no TX on radios that did not have an RX only option was to put the TX frequency to an unused frequency where no one is going to hear you if you did PTT. Also setting the power to low if you can helps in this regard.

dazey77

Have you tried programming it with Chirp? Lets you disable transmit on Baofengs and the TYT TH-UV3R so see no reason it wouldnt work for you.
Home - CHIRP

Danny37

Have you tried programming it with Chirp? Lets you disable transmit on Baofengs and the TYT TH-UV3R so see no reason it wouldnt work for you.
Home - CHIRP

there doesn't seem to be an option to disable transmit on the th-uv3r under the duplex settings there is "plus, minus and none" there is no "off" feature. Am i missing something?

dazey77

Apologies, was my memory failing me! Was a long time since I programmed the TYT and I thought I had managed to get tx inhibit, but your right its not an option on TYT :(

ecps92

Just a thought, is there a Freq that you can program in, but is outside of the allowed TX ?
ie: You want to RX 453.5375, so you might program the TX to be 512.0000 (something outside of the allowance of the VCO)

I know in some of my older Amateur equipment, I would put 154.5700 as the TX since it was outside of the Amateur Band, it would not TX
there doesn't seem to be an option to disable transmit on the th-uv3r under the duplex settings there is "plus, minus and none" there is no "off" feature. Am i missing something?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Not true of all TYT radios, the MD-380 and MD-390 have a clearly labeled "RX Only" checkbox in the channel settings.

DJ11DLN

Is is possible to simply leave the TX entry blank? I'm not familiar with TYT radios but some others (more mainstream types) I've programmed over the years, when there was a need to have RX-only, simply leaving the TX frequency blank disabled transmit for that channel. Worth a try, maybe?

Danny37

Just a thought, is there a Freq that you can program in, but is outside of the allowed TX ?
ie: You want to RX 453.5375, so you might program the TX to be 512.0000 (something outside of the allowance of the VCO)

I know in some of my older Amateur equipment, I would put 154.5700 as the TX since it was outside of the Amateur Band, it would not TX

That may just work, I'm going to test it once I get home. I really hope it does.

Danny37

Is is possible to simply leave the TX entry blank? I'm not familiar with TYT radios but some others (more mainstream types) I've programmed over the years, when there was a need to have RX-only, simply leaving the TX frequency blank disabled transmit for that channel. Worth a try, maybe?

Unfortunately no I've exhausted all attempts to leave the field blank but it just won't. Most commercial radios that I've used will let you leave the TX input blank (kenwood, vertex, Motorola etc)

SCPD

QRT
do this

experiment with strange offsets and setup an offset like 55.99 (+ )OR ( - )if you get it out of its transmit range it will just beep and do exactlty what you want.I did this with my UV82 Baofeng.Cheers!

145.190 - 55.99 = way below the transmit range of the radio . 145.190 being your receive frequency. using a Minus offset @ 55.99
it cant do 89.2 MHZ......

worked for me

Danny37

Damn... I'm out of luck, I attempted to do this in uv3r software as well as the chirp software and I keep getting out of band error.

SCPD

QRT
Put in a legal frequency for transmit 154.570 or one of the FRS frequencies then you should be ok and set it to low power.Its only a walkie talkie nobodys going to hear you probably if you accidently key up.

There should be a box to tick for transmit disable all the way on the right,can you see all of your screen perhaps your resolution is set wrong making it so you cant see that setting.Try under Duplex,I think you set it for None.

In the developer options I think theres a way to totally shut off transmit for the band A or Band B

Try press the 1+3 and turn the radio on to disable transmit.

Attachments

• chirp006.jpg
    chirp006.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 349
Last edited:

Danny37

Put in a legal frequency for transmit 154.570 or one of the FRS frequencies then you should be ok and set it to low power.Its only a walkie talkie nobodys going to hear you probably if you accidently key up.

There should be a box to tick for transmit disable all the way on the right,can you see all of your screen perhaps your resolution is set wrong making it so you cant see that setting.Try under Duplex,I think you set it for None.

In the developer options I think theres a way to totally shut off transmit for the band A or Band B

Try press the 1+3 and turn the radio on to disable transmit.

I don't see that option to disable transmit on your screenshot and I've tried everything you said and it doesn't seem to work on either the uv3r or uvf8.

Status
Not open for further replies.