how to enter new(additional) zipcode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerg2001

will be at several locations during my vacation and i cant figure out how to put a new zip in each time I change locations...any help would be appreciated.....thanks

bama9999

There's a couple of ways you can do it. First, you can just use the "Zip" button and enter the zip code for wherever you are at the time. Another way is to use the Sentinel software and setup the locations you'll be at, ahead of time, then upload it to the scanner. That way the locations will already be in the scanner, and you can press "Menu" scroll to "Set your location" select that, then scroll to "Edit location" and select that, then scroll down to whichever location you want to use and press enter, then finally scroll down to "Use location" and press "Eyes" twice.

I know that seems like quite a few steps, but once you do it a couple of times, it's very easy to select a pre-saved location. I don't have a gps for my scanner, so if I take much of a road trip, I'll setup waypoints along the way and switch to them so that I can easily be scanning locally, wherever I am at the time.

Hearken

Premium Subscriber
Sentinel Software and Zip Codes

Where in the Sentinel Software can you enter zip codes, or do you need Lat and Long for that to work? Can you program the Zip Code locations from the Radio or again from the Sentinel Software? Would be interesting if you could program the Zip Codes and the Radio holds them on file and you could just press a button to activate the area, range lets say 50 miles in a 360 radius circle. Explain in detail please, and thanks for your information

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
In Sentinel, click Edit on the top row, then Edit Profile.

In the Profile Editor, click the Location Settings tab. You'll see an area called "Current Location Settings". There is a Zip/Postal command button. Pressing that button opens up a window where you can enter a different zip code.

You can create a list of different locations based on the zip code setting and give each its own name, such as "Louisville" or "Minneapolis" along with a range for each.

Then after creating this Location List, do a write to your scanner.

On your scanner you can then select from this Location List by Menu>Set Your Location>Edit Location and scroll down to the desired locatiion and press the function knob. Then scroll down to Use Location, press the function knob again and press "E" to confirm.

So you can more or less accomplish what you are interested in doing. Definitely more than pressing one button, however.

Also I might add while in Sentinel (in the profile editor), you can choose which of these locations is the active one by highlighting it and then hit the Recall button. That active one is blue.

Setting these up seemed pretty intuitive.

bama9999

ofd8001 said it better than I did, but that was pretty much what I was meaning to say. When setting up your locations ahead of time in Sentinel, if you really want to get specific, instead of using the zip code, here is a handy site for getting the lat/long info for anywhere.

http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html

Hearken

Premium Subscriber
BC-GPSK 436HP Settings

When you do the listings under the Current location settings, does the unit automatically go down the list of all the listings, if the GPS is hooked up to the unit? But if a GPS is not hooked up to the unit, then you need to go under the location setting in the radio, then set up, the Lat and Long of the site that you want to listen to, and it becomes active at that point? The screen is hard to see already.The reason I am asking is I am debating if I should purchase a GPS device for the radio, being able to listen to locations and ranges automatically without taking my eyes off the road. Theoretically a person would have to pull over to reset the location of the unit if new Coordinates are needed. Can you correct me on this!

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If I understand what you are saying correctly, that is correct. With a GPS unit connected, the scanner automatically knows where it is and adjusts the scanned channels accordingly. Without a GPS unit connected, you must manually update your location as you relocate.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you do any kind of traveling, then a GPS device is an excellent investment. As you mentioned, it will help keep your eyes on the road.

Additionally as you travel, you probably are chaning locations, thus zipcodes, every ten minutes. So manually changing locations can become very tedious in addition to the challenge of knowing which is the appropriate zipcode to use. (Probably no sooner than you finish making a change, it is time to do it again.)

That would also eliminate the vast amount of time creating your location list.

I'm a great fan of GPS based scanning because it makes things much simpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.