How to find my schools frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioboy334

Hi,
I have bought a boafeng uv-56 in the hope that I can listen to my schools walkie talkies. I just don't know how to find the frequency, I live in uk so I cant search the fcc database. If Anyone can help?

They use a motorola DP3400, I'm pretty sure it's channel 7. If anyone can help me find it that would be great, Thanks

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the DP3400 is a DMR (digital) radio and your Baofeng (CCR, or cheap chinese radio) is not. I'm not sure if the 3400 can be used in analog mode also, but wouldn't make much sense for the school to buy digital radios and use them in analog mode. I think you are out of luck.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums:
Assuming encryption isn't utilized here & as mentioned above you'll need a DMR capable receiver. If operations are simplex then you won't be able to monitor unless you're in close proximity to the school. Hope this helps

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
I may be mistaken (I do not live in the UK) but isn't it illegal to monitor radio conversation in the UK other than general reception transmissions?

"Typically, receivers and scanners can only be used for ‘general reception’ such as licensed broadcasting stations and hobby radio."

Frequently asked questions
Am I breaking the law by owning a scanner?
No, but you should not use one to listen to frequencies other than general reception transmissions.

Do I need a licence to use a scanner?
No, there is no scanner licence.

Could I get authority to listen to emergency service transmissions, for example?
No, this can only be done by people acting under statutory authority. If you wish to listen in to messages, you should obtain the permission of the person sending them.

Isn't it all right to listen as long as I don't pass on what I hear?
No, using radio equipment to listen in is an offence, regardless of whether the information is passed on.

Isn't this all a bit heavy?
No. No-one likes their private or business conversations to be listened to. Parliament has passed these laws to protect the privacy of radio users.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I may be mistaken (I do not live in the UK) but isn't it illegal to monitor radio conversation in the UK other than general reception transmissions?

"Typically, receivers and scanners can only be used for ‘general reception’ such as licensed broadcasting stations and hobby radio."

Frequently asked questions
Am I breaking the law by owning a scanner?
No, but you should not use one to listen to frequencies other than general reception transmissions.

Do I need a licence to use a scanner?
No, there is no scanner licence.

Could I get authority to listen to emergency service transmissions, for example?
No, this can only be done by people acting under statutory authority. If you wish to listen in to messages, you should obtain the permission of the person sending them.

Isn't it all right to listen as long as I don't pass on what I hear?
No, using radio equipment to listen in is an offence, regardless of whether the information is passed on.

Isn't this all a bit heavy?
No. No-one likes their private or business conversations to be listened to. Parliament has passed these laws to protect the privacy of radio users.

Yea they're like another planet- "Unauthorised reception"
Basically if you're not a party privy to be listening you shouldn't be, and that's how they think. There isn't much of a "oh well since its broadcast into the open air where anyone can receive therefore someone can receive it" naw, none of that. Don't even think about talking to a european about guns in this country either, there's no discussion or understanding

Last edited:

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Chrismol1, Well to be fair, the U.S. was like that too when it came to analog cell phone conversations in the 1980s when they made it illegal to listen to those specific 800 MHz frequencies. Even though all cell phone transmissions are digital and encrypted, it is *still* illegal to sell a scanner in the U.S. that can listen to those frequencies.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
I'm going to walk around a mall repeating out loud my name, birthday and SS number..then sue anyone who writes it down. That's unauthorized reception!!

If it's out there and not encrypted it should be fair game to be listened to IMO. If you don't want anyone to hear it don't say it or encrypt it. Stupid law.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I get what you mean, and the world eventually encrypted cell phone transmissions. As a previous poster responded. In the UK, listening to normal open transmissions as we do here on a regular basis without a second thought as scanner listeners, is pretty much considered an invasion of privacy if it isn't meant specifically for you to hear on the other end of the radio in the UK. That's how different these countries and cultures and difference of thinking. Its very confusing between cultures when its tried to be understood because its simply that different

I've had conversations with Europeans and they are baffled by the "freedoms" we have that we take for granted every single day that we don't even think about as freedoms, that they are restricted in the rest of the world that was always set in their culture as not being a freedom. Its truly an amazing difference that takes time to comprehend when you talk to others across the pond and its not just radio related stuff, its little things here and there that you don't realize,,, its truly a different culture

Golay

Premium Subscriber
... I may be mistaken (I do not live in the UK) but isn't it illegal to monitor radio conversation in the UK other than general reception transmissions ...
{/QUOTE]

Couldn't just think to yourself "I don't know the answer" and scroll on, eh?

Sorry radioboy334. anymore you can ask what's a good antenna for six meters, and someone will come out of the woodwork wanting to know if you are authorized to work the band. I kid you not. I suppose this sort of thing is par for the course on RR anymore.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
The OP would be much better off with a modern police scanner with a spectrum sweep like on a Whistler TRX-1. That will locate nearby transmissions and receive DMR if the radios are used in that mode.

I was probably Bearcoms first or second employee on the books. Digital modes didn't exist back then.

You'd be surprised. When I worked at Bearcom, I was always having to program analog freqs on MotoTRBO radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.