How to find tower owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freakdaddy

Premium Subscriber
I have a tower near my house that the light is malfunctioning on. It's stuck in day mode and illuminating the entire neighborhood for over a month. I've looked in the FCC database and found nothing. I went to the site and all there is is a sign that says "property of united states". Is there any way to find a contact for it?

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
There are a number of tools. Unfortunately, federally owned towers are not typically registered with the FCC, however tower light malfunctions still require NOTAMS, regardless of who owns them. If the strobes are stuck in day mode, that requires a FAA NOTAM.

pro961

Many times at the base of tower or on the equipment shelter there is a posted sign with the tower management company #

techman210

You can also contact your local FCC field office:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
If it's federal, it may not be on those databases.

If you can share a location for the tower, someone may be able to assist you finding the agency responsible for the tower.
You can also call the FAA and report it that way… 1-877-487-6867
They may ask for an Antenna Structure Registration number (ASR) if it has one. If it does, you can probably find the owner vial the ASR search noted above. Either way, there's methods to report this.

freakdaddy

Premium Subscriber
If it's federal, it may not be on those databases.

If you can share a location for the tower, someone may be able to assist you finding the agency responsible for the tower.
They may ask for an Antenna Structure Registration number (ASR) if it has one. If it does, you can probably find the owner vial the ASR search noted above. Either way, there's methods to report this.

Thanks I'll share it. The building has the street address of 1597 State Route 582.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/41%C2%B026'58.1%22N+83%C2%B025'33.8%22W/@41.449482,-83.4265992,232m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m14!1m7!3m6!1s0x883b8c38064e229b:0xbd5c350f043aacb3!2s22339+Lemoyne+Rd,+Luckey,+OH+43443!3b1!8m2!3d41.4760705!4d-83.4773485!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d41.449482!4d-83.4260524

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Problem is, the tower isn't registered, so an FCC search isn't going to help. It does have a FAA determination of no hazard from 1987.
There are no FCC licenses on the tower, no signage other than federal no tresspassing signs. N4DES's suggestion is the correct one in this thread.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
The FAA typically doesn't take tower reports unless you're the owner of the tower or a tenant. Unless things have changed, that's how it was a few years ago. This tower does not have an ASRN.

KOK5CY

Almost every tower site I've seen has a ASR # and who managed it . example American Tower's owns like 40,000 site's . But each site has a ASR # posted on a gate or pole .

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The FAA typically doesn't take tower reports unless you're the owner of the tower or a tenant. Unless things have changed, that's how it was a few years ago. This tower does not have an ASRN.

Tower light outages/malfunctions can be reported to the FAA at the toll free number I listed. There is no requirement that the reporting party be the tower owner or a tenant.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
All broadcast stations are required by law to report tower light problems to the FAA.

Correction, All tower owners are required by law to report it within 30 minutes of notification of the outage. If the broadcast station is a tenant on a tower they do not own, they are not legally required to report it. We literally went through this in my market a few years back, as we lease space on a tower owned by a large tower company.

Tower light outages/malfunctions can be reported to the FAA at the toll free number I listed. There is no requirement that the reporting party be the tower owner or a tenant.

Then they changed that rule back. As I said this was quite a while ago that I went through this, it was right after the FAA had farmed out the NOTAM reporting to a third party agency.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Almost every tower site I've seen has a ASR # and who managed it . example American Tower's owns like 40,000 site's . But each site has a ASR # posted on a gate or pole .
You're only required to have an ASRN if your tower is over 200 feet AGL, or if less than 200 feet but within a certain distance of an airport.
Federally owned towers are not required to have them, but some do. American Tower has an internal site number they reference all their towers to, and their signage reflects that.

Status
Not open for further replies.