• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to find

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Usually in the manual. Which radio are you looking to find this information for?

The privacy codes are not frequencies... they use the same FRS/GMRS frequencies that all walkie talkies have. They are actually "tones" like public safety uses on conventional FM frequencies. They are CTCSS and/or DCS sub-audible squelch tones which will block all signals on that frequency from breaking squelch unless they have the correct "tone" selected.

My Motorola walkie talkie, for instance, has 121 possible "privacy codes." Privacy codes 1 through 38 are CTCSS tones starting at 67.0 Hz and going up to the highest which is 250.3 Hz. The remaining privacy codes are DCS tones ranging from 023 to 754.

IcomIcR20

Premium Subscriber
Well you would find the privacy code's corresponding tone (that's usually in the manual) then you can program your scanner as say: 452.5625 MHz with a tone of 88.5 Hz (or whatever tone it happens to be).

If you program your scanner without a tone entered, then you will hear everything on the frequency, regardless of if the walkie talkie has a privacy code enabled or not.

Flatshovel

So how would I go about programming them in my scanner then
Here is what I would do. I assume that you want to program your scanner with the frequency of the radio and then program the assigned tone as well? If this is the case do this.

Program in the frequency in question and then turn on the search function for tones. This way your scanner will search to see which tone the radio in question is using. Once you know what the tone is then you can go back and set the tone to match the frequency programmed. Hope that makes sence.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Understand that these so-called "privacy codes" will NOT prevent others from hearing your conversations; using a "privacy code will only prevent you from hearing theirs... not so much for "privacy", but as a convenience to you. The use of the term "privacy" is merely marketing spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.