• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to get a PRO-164 to scan CB channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJPerson

I have never ben able to get the pre programmed CB channels (ie SR1) to scan-through in my PRO-164.
Also; there is a "MAN" displayed after the indicated channel, of that has anything to do with it.

ERICMYERS

Range on CB is usually VERY close....like a couple miles tops. On that radio, if you're using the supplied rubber duck antenna, you won't get much at all...that antenna is not well suited to 11 meter CB...literally that's the very bottom of the supplied antenna's range, and it's certainly biased toward much higher frequencies anyway.

MAN means you're in manual mode instead of scan. SR1, is a search range, not a scannable bank..., you're kind of scanning, since it's a defined range and only 40 frequencies, but not really 'scanning'.

If you were sitting in a truck stop parking lot (not really advised for the uninitiated) you'd probably hear something, and it would probably be unsavory.

I put CB channels in a bank in my 162, and scan them during my commute. Search ranges are a pain unless you're sitting still, and CB is 99.99999% a mobile activity.

StinkyB

If you connect your scanner to a CB antenna, you will hear alot more than the stock antenna. I have a adapter that converts my standard CB antenna connector to a female BNC connector. Connect only the scanner to the antenna, do not connect it inline with your CB, Ham radio,Ect, if you key up, you will fry your scanner.

Last edited:

cpsTN

I have never ben able to get the pre programmed CB channels (ie SR1) to scan-through in my PRO-164.
Also; there is a "MAN" displayed after the indicated channel, of that has anything to do with it.

I also have the PRO-164. If you can see CB BAND at the bottom and the scanner is not moving through the freqs, hit the UP or DOWN arrow button. This will start to scan either up or down the 40 freqs.

Charles

DJPerson

Thanks for the info. I am now scanning CB. I have a rubber duck CB that works when outside. But when I connect it to my CB Base Antenna I get so much static that it will not scan. It receives good but even with the squelch up 100% it is full of static and will not progress through the channels, as though the squelch was too low.

Status
Not open for further replies.