• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to get "Data" (GPS, SMS,...) out of the Radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
How to get "Data" (GPS, SMS,...) out of the Mobile Radio?
I know some have an USB connector like my Hytera but the require some Serial USB Connector Cable and there is no Software for.

So how about the other like Motorola, Hytera, Kenwood,... who have no "Datacable" in there Portfolio?
I could not find any Cabile/ Software from the Manufacturer.
Sorry I dont understand the Radio Business....

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
In the commercial world this is what the "3rd party" applications providers do. There are many applications software/hardware for GPS location tracking and mileage reporting as well as messaging and control of gates, doors and just about anything else you can think of. Large users of this are hotels, refuse collectors, student transportation services and concrete delivery just to name a few of the hundreds that are available.
BB

Your_account

Banned
In the commercial world this is what the "3rd party" applications providers do.
sure but how does the connect to the radio?

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
The connection is made to the connector on the back of the radio. It is the standard Motorola connector. I don't know how (or if) other manufacturers do it. The 3rd party vendor provides the data collection/display device and software depending on the specific application.
BB

Your_account

Banned
The 3rd party vendor provides the data collection/display device and software depending on the specific application.
I found no Software who could connect to the Radio directly.
There is some "Demo" Software from Hytera but the dont recognise my Radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Multiple ways it can be done.

Most higher tier commercial/land mobile/public safety radios have a dedicated port on the rear. It's not just a Motorola thing.
These connectors will present various inputs and outputs that can be used. Various options include:
-data input
-data output
-audio out
-audio in/mic in
-detector output
-auxiliary inputs, used to trigger radio functions by external devices
-auxiliary outputs, used for having the radio trigger external devices
-switched power
-ground/earthing

Many of these connections can be customized via the radio software. Specific uses might include:
-data terminals
-credit card terminals
-GPS data for vehicle/user locations
-emergency function triggers/panic buttons
-"horn" alerts
-emergency lighting controls
-vehicle performance data
-external audio output to speakers/amplifiers
-external audio input from microphones, headsets
-radio programming interfaces
-some digital radios can also take camera inputs/video outputs with the proper interfaces

With relay input/outputs, you can use them to trigger external devices. We've used radios to trigger the lights in a fire station, PA system, alert signals, etc.

As for the physical interface, that varies.
Some Motorolas use standard DB25 connections, others use proprietary connector designs (16 or 20 pin connectors, 5 pin connectors, etc)
Kenwood uses DB25 or DB15 depending on the tier of radio.
Portable radios will use the side accessory connector used for speaker microphones and programming.

As for where to get the cables, the nice thing about the DB series connectors is that they are easy to find. The proprietary connectors, like the Motorola 16 and 20 pin connectors are sold by the manufacturer, but are not usually marketed to the end user.
You are not usually going to find off the shelf pre-made cables for commercial radios. These are usually custom fabricated by the radio shop who's doing the radio interface work. Since usage varies, each case will be different and producing "standardized" cables doesn't always make sense.

Software varies. Depends on what you are trying to do. There is no generic software for these systems. This is where the third party developers come in. They'll produce software and hardware that interfaces with the radio to do a specific task.

Some newer radios are using BlueTooth interfaces.

Where you might be confused is that you cannot think of this as a consumer product where you go to a store and buy a cable or software. That works with consumer electronics, but not for commercial radios.
Third party companies will often sell products through a vendor or manufacturer of a specific radio, or you can sometimes buy directly. Since these are specialized features designed to work with a specific family of radio, the market is designed for the radio dealers to sell this equipment/software as part of a turn-key system/product.

As an end user/consumer, you are going to have a difficult time finding this unless you get deep into the industry.

Amateur radio is a bit different. Since it's marketed towards the consumer, it's easier to find products. People will develop their own software or solutions for specific needs, sort of like the APRS or Packet radio systems.

Rred

"How to get "Data" (GPS, SMS,...) out of the Mobile Radio?"
Not all radios have data capability. I'd ay most simply don't.
But if we knew what radio you were talking about, that might help. And without a specific radio, there's no specific answer.

Your_account

Banned
Where you might be confused is that you cannot think of this as a consumer product where you go to a store and buy a cable or software. That works with consumer electronics, but not for commercial radios.
Third party companies will often sell products through a vendor or manufacturer of a specific radio, or you can sometimes buy directly. Since these are specialized features designed to work with a specific family of radio, the market is designed for the radio dealers to sell this equipment/software as part of a turn-key system/product.
I know why 98% of the User here use an ordinary Cellphone and not Radios. That Business is just insame....
But if we knew what radio you were talking about, that might help. And without a specific radio, there's no specific answer.
I looking for some new one. Maybe one of the new Kenwood: Walkie Talkies | NEXEDGE | PMR446 | Ham Radio • Kenwood Comms

I use that at the moment: Hytera

Your_account

Banned
Thats a Radio for your Car or Desk not for Mobile usage. On an Mobile Radio there is no direct Serial Port only some weired Connectors where I could not find any "Datacable".

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
A radio installed in a car is a mobile unless you've got a different definition of mobile?

Your_account

Banned
Mobile --->
NX-5200K3_SWL_KRA-22.png

or how do you call that Radio?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I know why 98% of the User here use an ordinary Cellphone and not Radios. That Business is just insame....

Yeah, it's not for end users. Usually the way the 2 way radio dealers work is they sell you a product that has been programmed and set up to meet a specific need. Very little of the industry is designed to let the end user do this unassisted.

I looking for some new one. Maybe one of the new Kenwood: Walkie Talkies | NEXEDGE | PMR446 | Ham Radio • Kenwood Comms

I use that at the moment: Hytera

Really depends on the model you get. The NX-5000E series will do data output off the side connector. The NX-300, NX-200 series will, also. Some of the lower tier radios only have microphone and speaker connections on the side. While you can adapt those for running data, it's not ideal.

Your_account

Banned
That's what we would call a portable and yes, data cables exist for them as well.
sure portable one.... So where could I find some Cable for?
Yeah, it's not for end users. Usually the way the 2 way radio dealers work is they sell you a product that has been programmed and set up to meet a specific need. Very little of the industry is designed to let the end user do this unassisted.
So I am not an end user. And the Company dont want to tell your Company any infos. There is nothing to be protect. That behaver bring people to other Solutions like DECT for an smal Area or Cellphones or (illegal) PMR446 Device.
The NX-5000E series will do data output off the side connector.
I found no Cable on the Internet who is made for Data transfer.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You'd use the programming cable for data interface.

Not sure how your country does it. Here in the USA, we can usually purchase radios, programming software and programming cables from -most- dealers. Some dealers won't sell software or cables since they want to make money off doing it for you. Your country may have rules that prohibit end users from doing their own radio programming.
I can't answer that question for you, that would need to be something you discover by talking with the radio shop and whichever agency in your country does radio licensing. There is no answer that applies to every country in the world.

Your_account

Banned
Here in the USA, we can usually purchase radios, programming software and programming cables from -most- dealers. Some dealers won't sell software or cables since they want to make money off doing it for you. Your country may have rules that prohibit end users from doing their own radio programming.
Sure here you can buy it to but it depend where you buy how much it cost. Thats why I got my Radios and Cable from an Ebay seller. Other Company want ~100€ more.
that would need to be something you discover by talking with the radio shop and whichever agency in your country does radio licensing.
Sorry there is nobody to talk with. The think the know the truth.
And Talk with officials could be very dangerous because the could visit me and see what i do...

For example what is required to send Data from an Hytera, Kenwood,... portable Radio to the same Type portable Radio without any Repeater or anything else?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
You hook up an appropriate cable between the radio and computer, install the drivers, setup a network connection on your laptop to use the new link and point your software towards your new network connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.