How to get the best result from a new receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannernoob

I'm In Canberra and have a AOR AR-DV1 with the latest firmware update, connected to an AOR SA7000 antenna. I also have a discone antenna. Both are above my roofline.

What should I be trying to listen to and at what times? I don't have a listening preference. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
Do a frequency database lookup for your area on this site. You should find plenty of frequencies to monitor.

For starters you can monitor aircraft, marine, cb, ham, business, security and some emergency services . Your receiver won't track trunked radio systems like the NSWGRN unfortunately. For that you need something like a Uniden 436PT/536PT/325P2 or a Whistler TRX-1/TRX-2.

The DV1 will also monitor HF frequencies so you can listen to international shortwave broadcasts and utility traffic as well.

Have a look at https://www.aussiescanners.com.au as well for more scanning and receiver content.

Have fun!

Last edited:

TAC4

Good luck with that. It seems they're few and far between these days.

Shortwave broadcasts are alive and well if you live in Europe.
Proof of this, is go to the online Netherlands SDR radio site for public use, it is
lit up like a xmas tree every night with shortwave broadcast stations. Europe, Middle East
and Asia are all still broadcasting.

In North America it is pretty dismal, reasons being
-no beam service from Europe
-lack of english speaking broadcasts
-lack luster sunspot cycle

cherubim is spot on about everything else.

Welcome to the forum SN

Status
Not open for further replies.