DSDPlus How to get the new RTL-SDR v4 dongle working with FMP24?

EI9BAB

I've a number of V3 RTL-SDR dongles and also and Airspy one but I have also recently got my hands on the new V4 RTL-SDR dongle. I have followed the installation instructions that came with it and I have this successfully working with SDRSharp after replacing the rtlsdr.dll. (On x64 system you still need to use the x86 version of the driver with SDRSharp but other software such as DSD should apparently use the x64 version.)

DSDPlus's FMP24 will start up with the legacy rtlsdr.dll but does not work properly (e.g. you cannot change the gain from 0 .0 and it does not tune frequencies properly) but when you swap out the DLL file for the newer version then you get an error from FMP24 saying that the "Required file 'rtlsdr.dll' failed checksum test".

Presumably it should work if it was not failing the checksum verification. Is there any workaround or do we need to await an updated version of DSDPlus?

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
The blog announcement for version 4 states that it uses a different chip and requires different drivers from v3.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
The blog announcement for version 4 states that it uses a different chip and requires different drivers from v3.
It seems like the OP knows that and replaced the driver, but the program won't use it. Looks like it's a waiting game for these programs to catch up.

EI9BAB

It is backwards compatible and the programs should work "out of the box". The thing preventing this in this case seems to be the fact that DSDPlus (reasonably) verifies that the version of the DLL for the driver is legitimate. DSDPlus is presumably confirming that the signature of the DLL matches the one for the DLL normally (re)distributed with DSDPlus Fastlane. So either they need to relax those checks or update the package to use the later version. The DLL hasn't been updated since 2019 but they have started releasing updated drivers since June to cater for the newer flavours of the dongle which would be desireable to support due to their enhanced performance characteristics.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
So either they need to relax those checks or update the package to use the later version.

This is an issue with multiple programs, including UT V2, not just DSD+. I'm sure eventually they may address the issue, but they may not. They don't "need" to do anything.

EI9BAB

They don't "need" to do anything.
Possibly I could have phrased that better as I don't want to give the impression that I am demanding something. In order to address the issue there would obviously be some change required. If the issue is to be ignored then obviously no action is needed. Indeed, the developers may not decide to support the latest hardware version. I was just pointing out that it would be "desireable" for them to do so (from my perspective anyway!)

My original question was if there was any known workaround so if anyone has any other constructive suggestions in that regard that would be great. (I suppose one alternative is to use something like SDRSharp to feed DSDPlus rather than using FMP24 but then you would lose a lot of other functionality.)

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
This particular hardware version will be limited anyway. They are only going to build v4 until the chip runs out.

Watton925

Premium Subscriber
Anyone got it working yet i have tried it all. I keep getting is rtl.dll checksum fail with new driver.

EI9BAB

Yes. You need to download the latest base files using there option ink DSDPlus and extract the FMP24.exe from that .zip file. You can use the v4 dll drink there same zip (after renaming it) or I think just use the 32 bit version from there rtlsdr site. They seem to be the same file for there v4.

It's working really well for me now. I saw this in another similar thread and meant to close this one out. Thanks for the responses above.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I saw this in another similar thread and meant to close this one out.

Maybe hit report, and ask the mods to merge the two threads.

A birdie told me that if you want to use a V4 dongle with DSDPlus FL you would download the newest base files via the DSDPlus FL Misc menu and extract all .exe and .dll files to your DSDPlus FL folder.

Basically, what I see are updated:
rtlsdr_V4.dll (new)
FMP24.exe (updated)
FMPA.exe (updated)
FMPP.exe (updated)

Mike