How to get Uniden BCT15X and new(er) BCD series to hold on FM with local EMS priority

Status
Not open for further replies.

tateconcepts

K5CDR
Hello RR members,

I have a question that seems to be eluding me. While I think it is of interest in my shop where I have a BCT15X (not my SDR PC or the BCD HT) to be able to listen to a variety of radio spectrum, most of it I can't or do not wish to hear while I am working in my shop. As an member of the HOA we have here and a CERT member, I only care to hear those frequencies along with EMS or Fire in my direct vicinity of the base unit (meaning very close).

I know how to program groups and understand systems along with the overwhelming amount of options these now have, but I cannot understand what the purpose of the FM Broadcast band options are and how to store let's say some Classic Rock or Today's Country with priority (not DND) on another system assigned to a different quick key. I guess what I am asking is how to add certain frequencies of FM Broadcast along with certain Air and Ham traffic to systems with groups and have them not locked out as they typically are so that I may turn on CC Priority. As, perhaps another question I am confused of - there is certainly a difference in the Close Call band selections between my BCT15X and let's say the BCD996XT but how does one instead get Close Call to only use the frequencies of certain systems already known? For instance, I want to be working with machinery most of the time, listening to talk, sports or occasional music but I want to be interrupted and only interrupted if there is a close call of my local fire department that is 1000ft from our home. I also would like to know if there is an incident at my son's elementary or an accident that my be causing traffic issues on the neighboring state highway (which BTW is the ONLY way out of here other than boat and that doesn't look very wise with the current water levels in north Texas).

Anyone else do this? Listen to the radio and only care if you have a friend wanting to rag chew on a ham channel or there is an important neighborhood event that may require avoidance or more importantly, my assistance? Anyone help a fellow ham amateur out? Thank you RR!

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
What I do is program the repeater input frequencies for conventional channels and the output on the next channel. When I get a hit, I just need to HOLD and tune to the next channel to hear all the traffic.

For trunked systems, you'd need to do the same, but it will be harder to tune to the correct talkgroup quickly. You will know when someone is close though and probably narrow down the talkgroups based on what is said or how the user identifies.

If you still get hits from too far away, use a low/no gain antenna or even none at all.

trunker

Hello RR members,

I have a question that seems to be eluding me. While I think it is of interest in my shop where I have a BCT15X (not my SDR PC or the BCD HT) to be able to listen to a variety of radio spectrum, most of it I can't or do not wish to hear while I am working in my shop. As an member of the HOA we have here and a CERT member, I only care to hear those frequencies along with EMS or Fire in my direct vicinity of the base unit (meaning very close).

I know how to program groups and understand systems along with the overwhelming amount of options these now have, but I cannot understand what the purpose of the FM Broadcast band options are and how to store let's say some Classic Rock or Today's Country with priority (not DND) on another system assigned to a different quick key.

You say you only care to listen to Fire/EMS and frequencies close to you but are wondering how to store FM broadcast frequencies? Do you mean the FM band? FM broadcast in the scanner is the 88-108 band.

I guess what I am asking is how to add certain frequencies of FM Broadcast along with certain Air and Ham traffic to systems with groups and have them not locked out as they typically are so that I may turn on CC Priority.

You can set what you want to hear using 'Set CC bands'. You can filter what you don't want to hear with 'Broadcast screen'. You can then save CC hits to any group.

As, perhaps another question I am confused of - there is certainly a difference in the Close Call band selections between my BCT15X and let's say the BCD996XT but how does one instead get Close Call to only use the frequencies of certain systems already known? For instance, I want to be working with machinery most of the time, listening to talk, sports or occasional music but I want to be interrupted and only interrupted if there is a close call of my local fire department that is 1000ft from our home. I also would like to know if there is an incident at my son's elementary or an accident that my be causing traffic issues on the neighboring state highway (which BTW is the ONLY way out of here other than boat and that doesn't look very wise with the current water levels in north Texas).

The CC bands are the same for the BCT15X and BCD996XT. CC only finds the frequencies, it doesn't know what systems they come from. If you only want to be interrupted with close call hits, use CC Only mode, or put the frequencies you find in a separate group and scan just that group.

tateconcepts

K5CDR
Ok, I guess I phrased this wrong. I know how to create a system or edit one and add frequencies and so on. I have a general idea of how close call works but are still someone confused on the differences between the band selection because it is different from the BCT15X and BCD996XT - the first has only 5 bands I believe where the other has nine. This is also because one scanner is digital and as such may need to use higher frequencies. I have selections that don't make it as easy as the BCT15X for lockout of Close Call hits on bands I don't care about. See here's the difference

On the BCX15T - this is my Close Call screen menu and sub options below
Easier to Read BCT15-X Scanner Manual

Then, notice these other bands and how they are listed differently on the BCD996XT
Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual

I know I can go into the general Function menu and scroll through the various bands to search through, however - unless you are just looking to find new FM radio stations to listen to in your area, I don't care about searching the FM Broadcast band and mainly just want to tune into or hold on a specific station with CC priority (not DND as I do want to be interrupted, even if my favorite song is on). Know what I mean Vern? I am pressing function, then unlocking the FM Broadcast band - tuning to my favorite radio and then hoping my CC works correctly - except the band plans are picking up too much stuff on similar bands that I don't care about - like EMS or something. I know I can program several local FM stations as groups for a system and turn them on and off, but that seems wasteful of a system for just one damn FM local classic rock radio station.

So then, ow do I keep this FM Broadcast search unlocked when needed, held on 92.500 mHz from that band scanning selection menu then get instead of close call just popping up ANYTHING in the band plans not off - to instead only interrupt the one FM Broadcast search screen with CC Hits ONLY from a select one or two programmed systems that are my local fire and police with all Talkgroups. I don't want EMS and the other day, I had DEA out here after a scene. I don't want their encrypted crap to appear in the CC hits but only alert me to priority signals from known systems who are native to my area. Does this better clarify my request?

Brian

trunker

Ok, I guess I phrased this wrong. I know how to create a system or edit one and add frequencies and so on. I have a general idea of how close call works but are still someone confused on the differences between the band selection because it is different from the BCT15X and BCD996XT - the first has only 5 bands I believe where the other has nine. This is also because one scanner is digital and as such may need to use higher frequencies. I have selections that don't make it as easy as the BCT15X for lockout of Close Call hits on bands I don't care about. See here's the difference

On the BCX15T - this is my Close Call screen menu and sub options below
Easier to Read BCT15-X Scanner Manual

Then, notice these other bands and how they are listed differently on the BCD996XT
Easier to Read BCD996XT Digital Scanner Manual

I know I can go into the general Function menu and scroll through the various bands to search through, however - unless you are just looking to find new FM radio stations to listen to in your area, I don't care about searching the FM Broadcast band and mainly just want to tune into or hold on a specific station with CC priority (not DND as I do want to be interrupted, even if my favorite song is on). Know what I mean Vern? I am pressing function, then unlocking the FM Broadcast band - tuning to my favorite radio and then hoping my CC works correctly - except the band plans are picking up too much stuff on similar bands that I don't care about - like EMS or something. I know I can program several local FM stations as groups for a system and turn them on and off, but that seems wasteful of a system for just one damn FM local classic rock radio station.

So then, ow do I keep this FM Broadcast search unlocked when needed, held on 92.500 mHz from that band scanning selection menu then get instead of close call just popping up ANYTHING in the band plans not off - to instead only interrupt the one FM Broadcast search screen with CC Hits ONLY from a select one or two programmed systems that are my local fire and police with all Talkgroups. I don't want EMS and the other day, I had DEA out here after a scene. I don't want their encrypted crap to appear in the CC hits but only alert me to priority signals from known systems who are native to my area. Does this better clarify my request?

Brian

Sounds like you want to listen to an FM station and just receive close calls from programmed channel groups.
Close Call only receives from selected bands, not programmed channel groups.
And, like I said before, use broadcast screen to filter out what you don't want to hear from close call.

tateconcepts

K5CDR
To do what you want, you need to add some hardware as below (or similar):

Amazon.com: Sony ICF-S10MK2 Pocket AM/FM Radio, Silver: Electronics

Very funny UPMan. I just threw some frequencies I wanted in a system group and was done with it. You have to realize UPMan, your analog equipment is becoming fairly useless for its intended purpose in most of the areas sounding you. I wouldn't be surprised if you are familiar with the people at Motorola who influenced these ever increasing better digital methods. Yes, I suppose I could just use my OTHER Uniden BCD (B$ Crappy Deal at $4xx) series to do that other function; considering it doesn't correctly work on the new Phase 2 systems I thought it would do and then found out Fry's wanted to charge a 15% restocking fee to return the item. I know the wiki for the new BCD that does work right says early Feb 2014. Can we get a better idea of that date at Fry's where I can locally purchase the product? Professionally here, would you be willing to see if the local Fry's in your area by Country Club Dr (Matlock) and Plano at the Tollway and/or Irving at MacArthur can get some of these, please at over promise so you aren't worried about Fry's logistics and other issues?

I mean, even Hollywood takes years to make their products - just like Uniden seems to; and somehow with all of the people involved in these theatrical fiascos - they can at least give us an exact date as to when we can get to experience their product. Surely you realize, your biggest fans are at your doorstep. I hear the new RoboCop is February 12th I believe unlike the Uniden BCD-436HP - which is February something (just don't take your girl there on the following day if you like your new BCD scanner and actually got one. That is also if one can be had and doesn't require an online store purchase to be shipped; in the event it needs to be exchanged (don't say that doesn't happen, because it does and did on this same BCT15X due to LCD issues).

BTW UPMan - Thanks again for the response as I know you are quite busy and probably had a laugh at this request, but hey - I can't really listen to much of any importance anymore and I am working here and analyzing data packets over networks here first, digital packets over wireless spectrums are second with the SDR and my own usage is on my own. It would be nice to have one of these while I am at work. I am beyond amazed that something as simple as bluetooth connectivity, charge by PC USB and an integrated GPS module were ignored with touch screen connectivity. You know your customers are becoming more dependent on the main touch control of choice and that will likely not be your device. I would really like some type of interaction from that special Sentinel App of yours to use on my mobile device as IT HAS A GPS FOR YOUR APP TO USE ALREADY ALONG WITH DATA, or instead the iPad (like your cameras we got from Costco - preferably the same app). Your customers can't find the RH96 or whatever head control device for your radios so what are we supposed to do? If I can find that bluetooth connectivity, charges by PC and works with an app - I will buy this before I buy any other man toy and that could be a 4x4, boat, firearm or who knows! I would have liked this radio to be paired with my radio in my car, where I have safe access to hear what I have programmed and should I get a phone call - I don't have to get to the radio and turn it down to take the phone call that came in through the mobile device and touch screen that you know you will eventually make an app for (before your competitors or someone else who wants in on the money does).

I'm not buying a separate GPS, when I already have three on me! One in my phone, one in my computer's cellular and another built in my auto (and that's if I'm not camping/hunting or boating/fishing)! How could you forget the bluetooth and control from the Sentinel App via Home Patrol UI or Manual UI like in FreeScan? I wish I could see you somewhere give a presentation on this device and its actual functionality in places north of you like let's say between Richardson and Plano and just how easy it would be to import and search for new TG in these known systems while looking at RR on the iPad. I really wonder how well it works against PAWM and McKinney if at all. I barely pickup anything in Plano and Allen anymore. Wish Uniden could see the value of an app on other OS and hardware platforms besides theirs. What will they do when Windows dies in the next few years? I have worked IT and Security for a decade and never expected the Apple and more importantly, Android and iOS to have almost replaced the PC in the mobile workplace and continue to gain users daily. We all know its BYOD, take care and thanks for all the answers everyone.

tateconcepts

K5CDR
Sounds like you want to listen to an FM station and just receive close calls from programmed channel groups.
Close Call only receives from selected bands, not programmed channel groups.
And, like I said before, use broadcast screen to filter out what you don't want to hear from close call.

Thanks Trunker,

I did something similar and I get it. Not exactly functionality most would expect since they could just have any old AM/FM radio around. I suppose it may seem dumb but I just wanted to know if it could be done and you hit my answer right on the head and just before UPMan actually hit me on the head…

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.