How to get US frequencies into freescan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't know if the web service has been updated to address this yet - assuming it hasn't, what scanner are you trying to program? There may be a work-around

best regards..Mike

w2xq

Mentor
Yes, I would also like to know how to do so using the Win500 software. I thought I was the only one with this question (grin).

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Well if you use FreeScan (again assuming you can't do it with the web service), you can do it with the EZ Grab function - it's fully defined in the user guide; here's the reference...

Freescan EZGrab - The RadioReference Wiki

This is freeware, so don't be concerned about paying for another utility...

I don't know about Win500, Tom, sorry old friend...best regards..Mike

cpuerror

You just need to click on the American flag in the import screen. You can also turn off Canadian mode and it will select USA frequencies by default.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, I forgot about that, having set that up as my default long ago...thanks Assaf for the reminder

Mike

DonS

Yes, I would also like to know how to do so using the Win500 software. I thought I was the only one with this question (grin).

If you're using the current version (2.04) of Win500, the "nationwide" frequencies supplied by the latest version (9) of the RR interface appear under a new "Nationwide" item in the list of states.

If I wanted to import the nationwide USA frequencies, I'd do this:
* File -> Web Import -> RadioReference.com -> Conventional frequencies
* Select "United States"
* In the list of states, select "Nationwide"
* Select the agency, then category/subcategory/frequency

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
I just did this with ProScan 4.7 and was able to import all of the NIFOG channels by selecting Nationwide > Interop.

Very cool. (I can't wait until Uniden figures out how to incorporate this into the Home Patrol scan rotation.)

The only complaint would be that the GPS data that it downloaded didn't appear useful. It downloaded 37.16000, -98.080000, 125 range. (That range is only really good if I live in Kansas.)

There must be some bugs in the Web Service or with ProScan, because if you look at the database...
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=locPop&scid=64500
... the range is actually 1800 miles.

Last edited:

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
I must be missing something, I've looked everywhere through the program (or at least I think its everywhere) to find out where/how to import "USA" frequencies.

RadioReference.com - Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference Database

Could someone kindly offer any assistance on how to import these nation-wide frequencies?

Alex, IIRC, Freescan doesnt support the nationwide functionality yet.

I don't know if the web service has been updated to address this yet - assuming it hasn't, what scanner are you trying to program? There may be a work-around

best regards..Mike

Mike, version 9 of the RR Web Service does support this 'Nationwide' Functionality.

You just need to click on the American flag in the import screen. You can also turn off Canadian mode and it will select USA frequencies by default.

Assaf, when I click on the American flag, nothing happens. Can you confirm your software is using the latest version of the web service or at least tell us what version it is using?

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
There must be some bugs in the Web Service or with ProScan, because if you look at the database, the range is actually 1800 miles.

The max range that can be set on the XT type of scanners is 125 miles so anything over that in the RR database will show in ProScan as 125 miles.
BCD996T and BCD396T max range is 50 miles.

EDIT - Correction. I meant the BCT15. The BCD396T doesn't use location data.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
As I mentioned before, you can use EZ Grab in FreeScan to copy the nationwide frequencies. That's a useful work-around until Assaf (presumably) updates the version of the web service so it can access them...best regards..Mike

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
The max range that can be set on the XT type of scanners is 125 miles so anything over that in the RR database will show in ProScan as 125 miles.
BCD996T and BCD396T max range is 50 miles.

Holy Crap. Thats a big piece of the puzzle I wasnt aware of !!!

So the workaround for Nationwide stuff is to not check the box to use GPS scanning.

However, for statewide stuff with larger states such as California, Texas or Virginia, there is no simple solution.

cpuerror

As I mentioned before, you can use EZ Grab in FreeScan to copy the nationwide frequencies. That's a useful work-around until Assaf (presumably) updates the version of the web service so it can access them...best regards..Mike

Yes, the next version will include this update.

Status
Not open for further replies.