• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to install mobile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ob123

Premium Subscriber
Hello, can anyone let me know how I would install a mobile radio in a house. (power wise)

I am not sure about it because when you plug something into a car, it uses 12v, and when pluged into a house it is much more.

Thanks in advance

Gbcue

Just get a 120V to 12V transformer with appropriate current draw.

Hook up the leads from the scanner to the transformer and done.

ob123

Premium Subscriber
Still one problem, I can not find the right converter, the radio can only take 12v, and my house is about 120v, what should I do.

af5rn

ob123 said:
...what should I do.
Do you live near a Radio Shack? Problem solved.

But for us to help you here, you're going to have to give us a lot more information than just "mobile radio". That covers several thousand radios, with each having its own requirements.

jon_k

You want one of these.

wall_wart.jpg

It converts 110 AC to proper DC voltages.

renze8173

Premium Subscriber
ob123, I currently have Astron RS-20A lineare power supply for my Motorola CM300. I don't know what type of radio you will be using or the wattage, but the reason I chose the RS-20A is becouse the CM300 needs around 13.5 amps when transmitting since the CM300 is a 50 watt radio. The RS-20A has 16 amps of continuous power which is plenty. Always use a power supply that will exceed the needed amps of you're radio.

I hope this can help.

steveh552

If it is for a transmitter, I agree, get a power supply like the previous poster suggested. If it is just a scanner or something that your not transmitting on, you can get a converter at Best Buy or Walmart that allows you to plug a cig. lighter into it and it converts 110 to 12

KC0QNB

Study about what you want to do, then after you have learned what current you need (amps)(amperes), go here and pick the one you need plus about 25-50%. Look for Astron.
http://www.hamradio.com/
then you will be ready to get going, there in one other thing, you will probably need an antenna that also matches your radio, when you find that out come back here and ask about it.
73de KCØQNB

Last edited:

ob123

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the reply's, I'll give it a shot.

k8tmk

OB123:

You indicated that your radio will take only 12 volts. Actually, in order to charge the battery in your car, the alternator puts at least 13.5 volts. So if your radio is made to work in a vehicle, the 12V spec of your radio is probably a nominal rating.

The electrical system in your car may vary above and below 12V, and will not harm your radio. Just find a 12-volt nominal DC power supply or DC power cube (wall wart) that can supply at least the current (amps) your radio needs. You should be good to go.

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.