How to keep a channel in a search that keeps opening squelch with only static

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawman210

I have loaded the entire Maryland State Police freq. I have them set to location control and am using a gps. It seems to funnel out the barracks outside my range parameters however there is a vehicle repeater and state wide channel that keeps breaking squelch with nothing but static. I figure I should keep those channels in the scan and right now I am turning up squelch to stop them from popping on. I don't know if I may be losing other channels in the process. Is the settings on the channel such as delay, threshold able to be adjusted to do the same thing to allow me to back the squelch back down?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I have loaded the entire Maryland State Police freq. I have them set to location control and am using a gps. It seems to funnel out the barracks outside my range parameters however there is a vehicle repeater and state wide channel that keeps breaking squelch with nothing but static. I figure I should keep those channels in the scan and right now I am turning up squelch to stop them from popping on. I don't know if I may be losing other channels in the process. Is the settings on the channel such as delay, threshold able to be adjusted to do the same thing to allow me to back the squelch back down?

Other than tuning up your squelch setting (which may keep you from getting it at all) or using a Tone code which I think will keep the squelch from opening unless that NAC code is transmitted first, (which in your case they may be doing) I don't know of any other way to address that problem.

I have found that for what ever reason fire departments seem to have way more breaking of the squelch followed by no traffic than any other safety group I monitor. So, I will be watching this to see if anyone has some advice that I am not aware of to address this irritating problem.

Last edited:

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
Setting a negative delay of say -2 seconds will give you just enough time to see if there is any activity on the channel but you are going to have it hit the hold if there is. Plus your going to have to put up with the scanner stopping for two seconds ( or whatever your negative setting is) every time it cycles around. Have you checked to see if there is a CTCSS on either channel that would help?

lawman210

I have not even climbed into the realm of ctcss. Is this the tone out option that people talk about? If so I haven't looked up how to use it yet

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If this happens occasionally and not every time the scanner stops on the frequency, here is a possiblity, albeit remote. I believe MSP is using a conventional, non-P25 system. If there is an encrypted transmission occuring on such a channel, it could come across as a "hiss" or "static" sound.

From time to time I'll listen to a federal agency on a conventional, non-P25 system. When they use encryption, that is what I'll hear.

(Encryption muting, according to page 6 of the 436/536 manual, happens automatically with APCO P25 systems, thus muting may not happen on non APCO 25 systems).

lawman210

If this happens occasionally and not every time the scanner stops on the frequency, here is a possiblity, albeit remote. I believe MSP is using a conventional, non-P25 system. If there is an encrypted transmission occuring on such a channel, it could come across as a "hiss" or "static" sound.

From time to time I'll listen to a federal agency on a conventional, non-P25 system. When they use encryption, that is what I'll hear.

(Encryption muting, according to page 6 of the 436/536 manual, happens automatically with APCO P25 systems, thus muting may not happen on non APCO 25 systems).

That may be the case. I will watch it and get back to you

Status
Not open for further replies.