• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to legally use my Baofeng UV-5R

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmtuska

working on getting my license

I've wanted to get into Amatuer Radio for a while but thought it cost a lot more to get started. Last night I started looking into study materials. Hopefully. I find a study material I like. What did you guys use for studying? And ill just make my buddies get their license I mean its really cheap.

kd7mxi

qrz website ,, pronounced - Q R ZED ,, has a online practice test you can take as often as you want ,,, get the more advenced material and be over prepared is my rule ,,, even if going for tech , study for the higher levels ,,, years ago i qualified to have the highest license on everything but the code ,,, i cant stand code since i get bat headaches from the tones

Last edited:

dmtuska

Im thinking im gonna study even for Extra cause if i pass them why not get the highest license i can. Can i take the acuall test online?

joeuser

The Wretched
I thought that also, Extra... After researching I felt the General class would suffice. By all means go for extra but dont feel bad at General. I didn't see it brought that much more to the table.

joeuser

The Wretched
If you pass tech, you can take general after, no additional charge, and if you pass general then you can take extra... So go as high as you can/want.

I felt the same way, then. Now none of it makes sense for me.

12dbsinad

To the OP,after reading this thread, I am very glad you are taking the advise of the well knowledged people here on RR. You started this thread because you wanted to know what was "legal", without the "technically" it isn't but do it anyways, advise. I encourage you and your fellow airsoft friends to get involved in ham radio, it is actually a fun hobby, and very usefull. You would be a asset to the ham community. Good luck!

dmtuska

Definatly working on getting licenses and ive got a lot of ideas to use ham radios for now just to work it out.

WB4CS

What did you guys use for studying?

I used the study manuals by Gordon West, WB6NOA. His books not only show you the test questions and the correct answers, but a description of WHY each is the correct answer. It's easy to pass the Tech test by just memorizing the answers, but it's best to actually understand how and why the answers are correct.

Here's his website, but I believe you can order the books on Amazon:
Gordon West Radio School | 714-549-5000 | Ham It Up!

The online practice exams, such as the aforementioned QRZ.com, and others, are a good way to see if you're ready to take the real exam. Plus, it's a good way to preview what you're up against before you purchase study materials.

Im thinking im gonna study even for Extra cause if i pass them why not get the highest license i can. Can i take the acuall test online?

That's a good idea! Now you do have to take them in order, meaning you must first pass Tech, then General, then Extra. You can't study and take the Extra without first passing Tech and General. But, it is possible to take all 3 exams at once... if you're ready for them.

No, you cannot take the test online. You'll have to find a local Volunteer Examiner Team (VE) that gives the test. Start by searching for an Amateur Radio club in your city, a close by city, or your county. Or, you could post in your state's subforum here on Radio Reference and ask if anyone knows of local test sessions in your area. There's plenty of info on the web that gives the dates of local testing sessions.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you'll keep us updated on your progress.

dmtuska

Thank you again for the quick response. and i will definatly keep using this forum along with my Ham Radio career. One last question how long would my License be valid for and does it vary by class?

WB4CS

Thank you again for the quick response. and i will definatly keep using this forum along with my Ham Radio career. One last question how long would my License be valid for and does it vary by class?

License is good for 10 years. Once it's time to renew you just fill out the form for renewal, no additional test required unless you let it expire. It doesn't vary by class, they are all good for 10 years.

dmtuska

Thank you WB4CS and everyone else that has helped me out, hopefully ill have my license soon.

bwilborn

WB4CS: Thank you for your well thought out responses. The technical reasons you state is exactly what I thought might be the reason for this, but just wasn't sure. I like it when a thread comes together to educate, rather than just rag on and attack people.

-- B

WB4CS

WB4CS: Thank you for your well thought out responses. The technical reasons you state is exactly what I thought might be the reason for this, but just wasn't sure. I like it when a thread comes together to educate, rather than just rag on and attack people.

-- B

You're welcome! :) Glad to help out.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
UV-5R, program it for MURS, and have the settings so the radio does not exceed the maximum wattage (which I can't recall off the top of my head). I use UV-5R radios for my son's Cub Scout pack, they stick to a MURS frequency (labeled GREEN 3 in all their radios) and that's it.

steve108

I have read a lot of posts about using a radio such as the uv5 for frs and murs and one common theme is the ham licensee's saying that unlicensed use may cause spurious emissions for which the user may be liable. (Example: post 39 of this thread)

My question is how is licensed use any different? Does a licensee using the radio not cause spurious emissions? Is a licensee allowed spurious emissions? Does every licensee test and monitor for spurious emissions?

Additionally, (see post 15), the arguments from licensee's usually start with "if you key up a radio once without a license you will go to jail" and later in the discussion become something like, "well if the fcc sends you a letter and you don't stop you will get in trouble." These are two very different statements.

Now please, please, understand, I am not trying to provoke anyone here. I genuinely am curious about the spurious emissions issue and am simply making an observation with my second point (that is not limited to this thread, it is a common theme across many forums).

Rred

Steve-
Among the considerations, is whether a radio has been certified for sale and use under any particular FCC "Part". For instance, if it is not certified for Part 90 or Part 97, no vendor may advertise it for use in that service. The FCC could make some easy money by looking at the many ads for "FRS" radios and "ham" radios and simply slapping $10,000 fines on all the sellers, when those radios have never been certified for use and sale in these services.
If the radio IS certified, the maker bears the brunt of the responsibility for "emissions" and other problems. If the radio is USED by a ham radio operator? The operator is responsible for all problems, but the FCC will generally recognize the difference between "my radio has gone out of adjustment" and "I bought some uncertified stuff and made my own radio". In which case, the ham is 100% responsible for it.
In the case of a Chinese radio that has never been certified and approved for sale as a ham radio in the US? The ham is 100% responsible for technical compliance.
So, who is responsible depends on using, versus selling or marketing, versus which service is involved.

Generally an FRS radio must be physically restricted to 500mW effective output power, and since removing the stock antenna and replacing it with a directional gain antenna could change the effective output? There's no way a radio with a removable, replaceable antenna, is going to be certified for use and sale as an FRS radio, as I understand it. Which comes back to the fact that all those ads saying these radios can be used for FRS, is an actionable violation as well.

"Fortunately" the FCC's enforcement operations have been really lax, since probably the 60's. They prefer to make their money with megabuck airwave auctions and not waste their time on $10,000 ones. [sic]

Unless someone makes a specific complaint, and prods them into reluctant action.

dm-
If your paintball action is in a regular place, operated by a business?

You could always suggest to them, that they get a license for some type of business/commercial radio, and then either allow customers to operate under their license during activity, or actually make some money renting extra radios during activity. I don't know what you'd consider reasonable and affordable, maybe five or ten bucks per radio per day would be enough to motivate them, considering they can buy "obsolete" but perfectly good commercial ht's like the old Motorolas for $100 a piece. And those are damned rugged radios.
You may have more options than you might think.

Last edited:

Coffeemug

Premium Subscriber
FCC Typed Accetance can be confusion

Hello I've been looking around and didn't find an answer to my question.
I have an Airsoft team and we need radios and i found the Baofeng now i know we cant legally use them on FRS and GMRS frequencies. Now how do we use this radio as a group. Do we all need a Amateur Radio License? Or can i just get one and we only transmit on one specific frequency?

Thank you in advance sorry if this is in the wrong section, first time on this site.

The FCC Typed Acceptance for RF devices can be a bit confusing, however there is purpose. I am also confused. These BAOFENGS and WOUXUNS radios able to transmit outside of the Amateur Band. Some will they're Part 90 accepted, but not part 95 accepted. I know they're part 97 accept because many new hams sine 2009 or earlier have purchase due to the dirt cheap cost.

As far as programming for GMRS repeater or simplex use, I'll assume the FCC wont say anything unless there violations to other rules. To be on safe side, don't on FRS 08-14 and Don't use MURS 01-03.

Status
Not open for further replies.