How to listen to a specific Fire Station dispatch (Atlanta)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, I am new to scanning and just got the SDS100. I am interested in listening to my local fire station to see what calls they are getting all day long. How can I do this? I learned how to setup favorites but right now I'm listening to all of Fulton County Public Safety P25. I think my fire station is number 11. Thanks.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
You can't. TLDR version is IP fire station alerting is used in the CoA and Fulton uses Mach Alert. Both use IP data to alert fire stations silently, though the CoA uses Westnet and when it's primary link fails, you'll hear a "warbling" tone on the fire main talk group which is low speed FSK data to set off the station alert controller.

Mach Alert uses a combo of IP WAN with Astro 25 IV&D for a fallback. Both are silent and the data packets on IV&D can't be decoded by a scanner so you'll have to just listen to fire main and perk up when you hear your desired station get a call. If you're referring to South Fulton station 11, you can always park your radio on FIRE TAC-3 and if a working incident occurs, a dispatcher is assigned and traffic will take place on TAC-3 (unless another call is using this talkgroup, in which case they'll switch to TAC-4).

Reactions: RRR

Honestly, MidtownAtlTower1 probably lives in the Midtown/Atlantic Station area of ATLANTA. Atlanta Fire Rescue Station 11 is located at 165 16th St. NW. Fulton County Fire Station 11 is located in a completely industrial (no residences) area (minus the sleazy hotels on and off Fulton Industrial Blvd).

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I'm listening to all of Fulton County Public Safety P25
The O/P mentioned the Fulton network. SFFD station 11 territory is not "completely industrial", Baker's Hill/Baker's Ferry, Candellight- several subs are in their first due in (I'm the one that built and implemented the current CAD, did the map layers myself). The CoA and the county operate two completely separate radio systems and PSAPs.

You're right I live by Atlantic Station. I think if I listen to Atlanta Fire Department Dispatch and set my distance range to 0 miles maybe that will work. Thanks for the replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
You're right I live by Atlantic Station. I think if I listen to Atlanta Fire Department Dispatch and set my distance range to 0 miles maybe that will work. Thanks for the replies.
Distance range has nothing to do with how we alert fire stations. It's done via IP silently over the CoA DTRS and a WAN. There is no way to just monitor calls for a single station using a scanner on a P25 trunked radio system.

Reactions: RRR
Thanks for your comments. I've got some more experience over the past few days and have a few more questions. I hope I'm not taking advantage of the forum here.

Being in a high rise condo in midtown over looking 85/75 I see police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, state patrol , and hero units all day long. On average I hear a siren every 10 minutes. My purpose of scanning is to get an idea of what is going on around me. Besides what I can see I am also curious about what is going on around me.

I've learned to record Atlanta Public Safety P25 and then when I hear a siren I can go back to the recording and hear where my local fire truck was going to. My question is what is the best way to monitor all of the calls around me at the same time? Is the recording function able to record multiple frequencies at once or am i limited to only 1 freq at a time?

For example if Atlanta Fire Dept and Atlanta Police Department Zone 5 are both dispatching at the same time can I record both calls?

If you were me and you wanted to be able to record whats going on around me in Midtown Atlanta how would you setup your Uniden SDS100 to record so I can reference back to the recording once I hear sirens? Should I only scan APD Zone 5, AFD, and GSP Troop C as a favorite?

Thanks.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Being in a high rise condo in midtown over looking 85/75 I see police cars, fire trucks, ambulances, state patrol , and hero units all day long. On average I hear a siren every 10 minutes. My purpose of scanning is to get an idea of what is going on around me. Besides what I can see I am also curious about what is going on around me.
Your current setup is about as good as one can do to be situation aware with a single radio. About the only way to record both calls would be two different radios, one dedicated to fire, the other dedicated to law, both set to only scan/monitor the desired talk groups/resources as you mentioned. Having two radios would ensure you won't miss the fire call while the other radio is stopped on the law resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.