How to listen to dmr agencies with dmr radio?

Atlanta97

I recently got a Btech 6x2 Pro since all the local companies went digital. I have always used this site to get the frequencies and all that. It shows DMR under the mode not P25 ( I know P25 uses different digital signals not compatible with regular digital radios) now I don’t know what the problem is, but I have even entered the correct color code and time slot and all that, it picks up signals but there is no sound. The only help I got was from a YouTube video and it only suggested turning on digital monitor. I did that and still it just picks up signal with no sound. In Analog mode there is just a loud buzzing like noise when someone keys a mic and that sound will last until end of transmission. I don’t know if this is a form of encryption or if I’m missing something? Usually this site relays rather quickly when something goes encrypted or makes different changes and I have found nothing that notes encryption. The PD, FD, transit busses, public works, hotel and hospital security and all other dmr channels sound like this. However, Analog channels come in just fine. Do I need an actual digital Police scanner or how can I fix this?

nd5y

What city, county, state agencies are you trying to listen to? Post that information or a link to the county database page and you might get better help.

The loud buzzing sound is what digital transmissions sound like on a analog FM receiver.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I had the same idea when I got my TYT MD UV380 HT. Once the main codeplug was done and written to radio, I thought it might be interesting to see if I can hear some of the local agencies using DMR. It took a while after much research to get it to work. What I did was first make a list (on paper) all the agencies nearby using DMR. Mostly some hospitals, colleges, companies on the industrial waterfront and the Convention Center in Providence. Then find the color code/talk groups.....The only place I could find the info I needed was browsing the NE SCAN website. It has a big list of businesses and freqs for my area. So I copied down about 12 agencies. Then I made DIGITAL CONTACTS for each one. Next you make a CHANNEL, but I found you have to actually make 2 CHANNELS for each entity so you will be picking up transmissions on BOTH time slots. So you make a channel for "Hospital 1" put in color code and slot "1", then do another channel with same info, but choose"slot 2". Another quirky thing is when you enter the FREQUENCY, you have to enter the RX freq like 461.800 for example, but then you have to enter a TX FREQ approx 1Mhz below the RX freq. The channel needs some kind of offset to work. So in the TX field, type in "460.800". Then select "RX ONLY".....if you happen to have an agency with an already used talk group number, like for example on TG for a local hospital maintenance was the same as the "World Wide" TG 1 amateur talk group, when you set up the CHANNEL for that agency, you associate it with TG 1 World Wide". It's a lot of typing and rechecking. Sometimes I see a signal but no audio, I think thats normal, but you need to turn on "promiscuous mode" for your particular radio. I assigned a button to switch between regular/promiscuous mode. I was surprised with just the rubber duck antenna how much I can hear.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Reiterating what's been stated in post #2 we need agency specifics so we can get eyes on the database to determine what your HT can and can't receive. As far as digital goes it can handle DMR conventional, that's it, no P25. Also keep in mind the BTech cannot trunk track. Not sure if that's relevant to what you're trying to bring in so yes, please post specifics when you can

Atlanta97

I recently got a Btech 6x2 Pro since all the local companies went digital. I have always used this site to get the frequencies and all that. It shows DMR under the mode not P25 ( I know P25 uses different digital signals not compatible with regular digital radios) now I don’t know what the problem is, but I have even entered the correct color code and time slot and all that, it picks up signals but there is no sound. The only help I got was from a YouTube video and it only suggested turning on digital monitor. I did that and still it just picks up signal with no sound. In Analog mode there is just a loud buzzing like noise when someone keys a mic and that sound will last until end of transmission. I don’t know if this is a form of encryption or if I’m missing something? Usually this site relays rather quickly when something goes encrypted or makes different changes and I have found nothing that notes encryption. The PD, FD, transit busses, public works, hotel and hospital security and all other dmr channels sound like this. However, Analog channels come in just fine. Do I need an actual digital Police scanner or how can I fix this?
York: York County, Maine (ME) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference
Cumberland

mainly UNE security and hospital security. I travel to Westbrook and nearly everything is dmr.

Ubbe

Usually there's a LED that turns green when the configuration are correctly done and red when there's no signal or wrong parameters used. When I scan DMR channels the LED are red but goes green every time it hits an idle DMR channel, or an actual conversation.

The user manual says:

Constant Green Analog Receiving
Constant Cyan Digital Receiving
Flashes Green Scan

Use the monitor mode to receive all transmission, but you still have to be on the correct slot, so you will have to try both slot 1 and slot 2 as explained by bobruzzo.

5.11 Monitor In standby, press and hold the [PF2] key to enter Temporary Monitor. When receiving matched carrier but the signaling / ID is unmatched or the signal is too weak, this function allows monitor the weak signal and signal with unmatched ID. Release the [PF2] key to shut off speaker and return to standby. In standby, press the [PF2] key to enter Monitor. When receiving matched carrier but the signaling / ID is unmatched or the signal is too weak, this function allows monitor the weak signal and signal with unmatched ID. Press the [PF2] key again to shut off speaker and return to standby.

/Ubbe

Last edited: