How to listen to Ham Channels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesZA

Doesn't Play Well With Others
Banned
Hello,

I just acquired nooelec nesdr smart with ham it up.

I have downloaded SDR sharp but I am unable to listen to ham frequencies.

Where can I get information on this to properly tune my software?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The following thread discusses similar questions:

slicerwizard

Hello,

I just acquired nooelec nesdr smart with ham it up.

I have downloaded SDR sharp but I am unable to listen to ham frequencies.

Where can I get information on this to properly tune my software?
It would help if you were more specific. What frequencies you wish to hear and what antenna you're using would be a start.

JamesZA

Doesn't Play Well With Others
Banned

ArloG

If this is your unit then in SDR# have you done this? :

Tune to 125MHz + (+/- the tuning offset from the tuning procedure) + your desired frequency and enjoy!

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
First off, this has nothing to do with ham radio. I' not really sure what you're trying to do....

The link you provided describes instances where radio frequency signals between 2.4 Mhz to 10000 Mhz have been known to stimulate the inner ear causing people to hear sounds. These radio waves stimulate the cochlea causing it to produce an audio frequency in the 5 kHz range.

In this case, you can't listen to anything at 5 Khz using a radio. (This is an audio frequency generated in the ear from above mentioned radio frequencies). You need to listen between 2.4 mHz and 1000 Mhz.

The big question is.... WHAT do you expect to hear there??

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
First off, this has nothing to do with ham radio. I' not really sure what you're trying to do....

The link you provided describes instances where radio frequency signals between 2.4 Mhz to 10000 Mhz have been known to stimulate the inner ear causing people to hear sounds. These radio waves stimulate the cochlea causing it to produce an audio frequency in the 5 kHz range.

In this case, you can't listen to anything at 5 Khz using a radio. (This is an audio frequency generated in the ear from above mentioned radio frequencies). You need to listen between 2.4 mHz and 1000 Mhz.

The big question is.... WHAT do you expect to hear there??

Although you are right that about him being wrong about the frequencies of his interest, you can listen to 5 kHz ( it is "kHz" not "Khz") using a VLF radio. Though you will not be listening to sound waves. Nothing of much interest there other than man-made interference (including RF emitted from audio cabling) and noise from nature. the USN former Project ELF was even as low as 72 Hz in its transmissions. Audio and radio are not mutually exclusive. Audio is compression waves in the air while radio (RF) is electromagnetic radiation (which does not need air or any medium). Both can ocur at frequencies in the audio range but are separate things but are sometimes related.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
You're right... When I typed 'you can't listen to'. I was thinking, "you won't hear anything at 5000 Hz using the SDR radio". AFAIK, there is nothing there.

I have listened down to 17.2 kHz using this sound card receiving app --> SAQrx VLF Receiver - SM6LKM .. There's a station in Sweden (SAQ) that broadcasts on special occasions. (In years past, I've listened during some of these occasions, but have never managed to hear anything)

Khz vs kHz.. Just a bad habit.. :)

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
You're right... When I typed 'you can't listen to'. I was thinking, "you won't hear anything at 5000 Hz using the SDR radio". AFAIK, there is nothing there.

I have listened down to 17.2 kHz using this sound card receiving app --> SAQrx VLF Receiver - SM6LKM .. There's a station in Sweden (SAQ) that broadcasts on special occasions. (In years past, I've listened during some of these occasions, but have never managed to hear anything)

Khz vs kHz.. Just a bad habit.. :)

There are also Russian navaid stations active at times in the 10-14 kHz range (I have heard them from here in VA but using the web SDR gets them better) and there have been experiments at 9.8 kHz buy some experimenters. You are right, most SDRs will not tune that low, but some will-like the AirSpy HF+ Discovery or the RFSpace SDRs that pre-date the cheap dongle RTL-SDRs.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I was around when they changed cycles to Hertz. Although it was meant to honor Heinrich Hertz, I couldn't stop thinking of a car rental company every time I heard it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.