How to listen to two radios simultaneously with headphones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcaven

I am setting up a small system that consists of a Kenwood TM-V71A dual band and a Uniden SDS200 scanner. I would like to monitor both radios simultaneously through a mixer; one signal in one ear, the other in the other ear. When something of interests presents itself, I want to simply turn down the other radio. I purchased ax XENYX 502 as it looked ideally suited to this task. I am having problems. I can listen to the scanner with the balance set all the way to the left but am not getting the same result from the Kenwood. Dialed over to the right, I show activity but cannot hear it. I can hear it fine until I try to isolate it to either left or right. Ideas? Thanks.

a417

U+0000
which ports are you using? can you take a pic of your setup so everyone has the same information?

needairtime

Just a guess, but, Is the speaker output the TRS (i.e. 3-contact plug)? The tip of the plug is usually "left" and would explain why you have problems with the right channel. If you have a stereo mixer you need to send mono signal to both channels first before dealing with mixing.

The experiment to try if this is the problem is to swap the two inputs and see if your problem is reversed.

I'm not familiar with a 502, but if you have mono inputs, you should use those, else you need to hack up a cable or get an adapter that sends a mono signal to both channels of a stereo input. Should be able to buy these adapters, I think I have one somewhere...

majoco

Stirrer
My Behringer RX1602 works a treat with 7 line inputs and a stereo pair of speakers - I can deselect any of the inputs at the push of a button. I use the mono inputs and the balance control to move the output to left or right - TRS jacks but with only the tip and sleeve connected. The outputs are left and right stereo to a small amplifier and speakers. I'm in the (slow!) process of making a cabinet to hold those three units, the mixer, an 8 output multi-coupler and the Debeg 7313 receiver.

If your mixer is like mine, the left and right outputs are separate TRS Jacks, the headphone front panel output is also a TRS jack wired tip left, ring right, sleeve ground. The headphone output has it's own balance and volume control.

DSCF1413 sml.jpg

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
Now I've been spurred on to finish the job - lots of ventilation holes to be cut, sanding, filling and painting. Those washers are too big, I'll find some smaller ones.

DSCF1432 sml.jpg

n5ims

Read pages 7, 20, and 71 of the manual (http://manual.kenwood.com/files/B62-1926-40.pdf). The TM-V71A can be configured to have the dual channels have their audio sent out combined over a single external speaker jack, split where one channel goes out over one jack and the other goes out over the other jack, or no audio going out over either external audio jack. This is controlled using the radio's menu system. Be aware that the internal speaker is controlled using the same menu and may be muted or only carry one of the two channels depending on your settings. The settings are explained on page 71 of said manual.

Note that the external speaker jacks (according to the manual) are 1/8" mono jacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.