How to listen to Utah Communications Authority traffic with Unitrunker

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG7FMX

Hey everyone! I figured out how to listen to the Motorola Type-II trunking system using a couple of RTL-SDR USB dongles and Unitrunker. Even though the Motorola Type-II network will be retired by the end of this year, I thought some of you might appreciate this walkthrough in the mean time.

THINGS YOU'LL NEED
  1. At least two RTL-SDR dongles. The first dongle lets you follow the "Control" frequency, and then your second dongle allow you to "scan" (record) one active talkgroup at a time. In this guide I use two "scanner" dongles, but one is fine.
    • You can buy them bundled with an antenna here or you can just buy the dongle itself here.
    • Each dongle is pretty bulky. If you're using a desktop in a tight space or a laptop, it might be worth getting a couple 3-foot USB extension cables and plugging them in between the dongles and your PC.
  2. A laptop or desktop running Windows 10 or 11.

BEGIN MONITORING
  • Start by plugging in ONLY ONE of your RTL-SDR dongles to your PC. Windows will search for the default drivers.
  • Download Zadig from https://zadig.akeo.ie/
    • Run the installer as an administrator. Reinstall the "Bulk-In, Interface 0" driver with the WinUSB driver.
      • Give it time. It acted like it froze for me before it finished. ~40 seconds.
      • 1681930440743.png
    • Now you can plug in the other SDR(s).
  • Download the VB-Cable virtual cable from https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/index.htm
    • The default installer is free and enables you to listen to one broadcast at a time. I purchased the extra "A+B" pack for $15 so that I could use my extra antenna to listed to two broadcasts at a time, but you don't need it.
    • Unzip it and launch the x64 setup file AS AN ADMIN. It doesn't automatically launch as an administrator for some reason. :unsure:
    • Open the system sound settings by either typing mmsys.cpl in the start menu or by opening it from the control panel.
      • Under the "Recording" tab, set the "CABLE Output" as the default microphone.
        • 1681931459449.png
  • Now reboot your computer.
  • Download Unitrunker from http://www.unitrunker.com/download/
    • Run the installer file and open the program.
    • Select "First Time Installation."
      • 1681932647562.png
    • The "Receivers" tab is displayed by default. Choose the + button in the top bar to add a receiver.
      • Choose RTL-2832.
      • In the Info tab, set:
        • Model: Control Frequency
        • RTL Device: Bulk In. Interface:00000001
        • Drift Correct: Checked
        • Auto Gain: Checked
        • Sample Rate: 1.056 msps
        • VCOs: 1 VCO
        • 1682011434656.png
      • In the VCO tab, set:
        • Deemphasis: Unchecked
        • Mute: Checked
        • Audio Output: Speakers / Headphones
        • Squelch:
          • [This will be variable a bit for you depending on your RSSI value once we turn everything on. 45 seems to work for me at my home.]
        • Park:
        • 1682011468439.png
    • Go back to the default window and choose the + button to add another receiver.
      • Choose RTL-2832.
      • In the Info tab, set:
        • Model: Scanner A
        • RTL Device: [Choose a different device than the one you chose for your Control receiver.]
        • 1682011493990.png
      • In the VCO tab, set:
      • Role: Voice
      • Audio Output: Speakers / Headphones
      • Digital Output: Speakers / Headphones
      • Squelch:
        • [This will be variable a bit for you depending on your RSSI value once we turn everything on. 45 seems to work for me at my home.]
      • 1682011517797.png
    • Go back to the default window.
    • If you have more than 2 SDRs, you can create another "scanner" receiver. If you only have 2 SDRs, then you won't need to create this third receiver.
      • Choose the + button to add another device
        • Choose RTL-2832.
        • In the Info tab, set:
          • Model: Scanner B
          • RTL Device: [Choose a different device than the one you chose for your Control receiver or your Scanner A.]
          • 1682011555177.png
        • In the VCO tab, set:
          • Role: Voice
          • Audio Output: CABLE-B Input (VB-Audio Cable B)
          • Digital Output: CABLE-B Input (VB-Audio Cable B)
        • Squelch:
          • [This will be variable a bit for you depending on your RSSI value once we turn everything on. 0 seems to work for me at my home.]
        • 1682011571756.png
    • Turn the receivers on
      • Go back to the default window.
        • Select the Control Frequency and click the "play" icon in the top bar
        • Select the Scanner A and click the "play" button
        • If you created the Scanner B, select it and click the "play" button
      • A "Site" window should now appear and start populating data from the trunk feed and play audio.

A NOTE ON TALKGROUPS NAMES

By default, no data besides the talkgroup number is populated into Unitrunker when it listens, which means that you're not able to recognize who is talking at any given time unless you've memorized who is associated with which talkgroups (Those talkgroups/names are listed here). Unitrunker has an option to download those names if you're a premium subscriber to Radio Reference, but I personally haven't made the pluge yet. My solution was to copy/paste a dump of all the UCA talkgroups into Excel and then splice the names into an exported Unitrunker XML file, line by line. It was a hot mess, but it finally worked. In loyalty to the the RadioReference forums which we're messaging on (and frankly to save you tedious suffering), it's definitely worth the $15 to become a premium subscriber for the half-year left before Utah finishes its transition anyway. Here's a screenshot of what mine looks like:
1682011678563.png

BROADCASTING REMOTELY

If you'd like the ability to listen to your current or past broadcasts from your phone or other computer, I can also post a walkthrough on how to pipe Unitrunker's traffic through a program named Trunking Recorder, which works as its own webserver archive and can also upload your feed to websites like Broadcastify. Let me know if any of you want details on that and I can put one together.

Reactions: 522

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
That is version 1 of unitrunker, version 2 is also available, keep in mind version 2 will NoT do a Line In option , you must use dongles .

The unitrunker version 2 is a little different than version 1 but its still the same basic ideas...

KG7FMX

Haha yeah, I actually worked on version 2 for a few days but finally gave up after I couldn't get it all to work correctly. I told myself that I'll take another crack at it once Utah makes the move over to P25. :cool:

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Hmm utah will go to p25 phase 2 which unitrunker will not decode properly, right now the newly online sites are phase 1 p25 but once they are active it probably will go to phase 2, unitrunker will only decode phase 1. Dsdplus or sdr trunk will be the options for p25 phase 2..

KG7FMX

Oh! Haha fair enough. In that case I'll definitely be moving software later this year.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Thank-You very much for the step-by-step tutorial. Maybe, when i can make the time, I'll give it a try.

N7YUO

Unitrunker and P25 phase 2.
In August 2022, I visited my brother in Umatilla County, Oregon.
I discovered that the Motorola type 2 UHF system had been replaced with
a P25 phase 2 system. My WS1040 could not decode it of course.
But Unitrunker did display all of the frequencies, Each frequency listed twice,
with a different talk group on each one, which makes sense, because phase 2
uses Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) to provide two voice channels
per 12.5 kHz spectrum allocation
Without a P25 phase 2 receiver, there was no way to verify the accuracy of
Unitrunker's decoding. But it appeared to decode properly.

When I returned home to Utah, I ordered my SDS100 and began the process of
learning how to program it, I don't order my scanners pre-programmed, and I
haven't tried using the location feature yet

dave3825

Premium Subscriber

Unitrunker will decode the phase 2 without issue, at least any that I have seen. Just wish it would do the voice.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
I have been using Unitrunker V1 to decode the control channels of 2 local P25 Phase II systems (LDS & HAFB) with no trouble. For listening I use TRX-1 &/or 2, and an SDS100.

gldavis

KE7MQF
Premium Subscriber
Unitrunker and P25 phase 2.
In August 2022, I visited my brother in Umatilla County, Oregon.
I discovered that the Motorola type 2 UHF system had been replaced with
a P25 phase 2 system. My WS1040 could not decode it of course.
But Unitrunker did display all of the frequencies, Each frequency listed twice,
with a different talk group on each one, which makes sense, because phase 2
uses Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) to provide two voice channels
per 12.5 kHz spectrum allocation

When I returned home to Utah, I ordered my SDS100 and began the process of
learning how to program it, I don't order my scanners pre-programmed, and I
haven't tried using the location feature yet
What are you using to program your SDS100? After an hour (or so), I get frustrated with Sentinel, and just end up programing by hand with the front panel. :confused:

N7YUO

Quote:
What are you using to program your SDS100? After an hour (or so), I get frustrated with Sentinel, and just end up programing by hand with the front panel.
Ha ha ha ha ha!
Apparently, I'm not the only one getting frustrated trying to learn how to program this scanner,
which is unlike anything I've tried before.

For everyone's humor, here is part of an old thread from the 7202 Group that I copied and saved.
I didn't keep the name of the member who posted it, but I'm sure he is still active in this forum.

I've had my GRE-500 for several days now. It has (for me anyway) a very steep learning curve.
The first day I had it it I was calling it my "expensive paperweight".
When I used ARC500 software to load to the radio, the software would say complete,
but the radio would say 86% complete and lock-up. I had to turn it off and reboot to factory.
Win500 would lock-up when I tried to download from RR. After several hours I gave it a rest.
Next day, and different computer, all is well. I can download from RR and upload to radio no problems (both programs).

Now, as for programming the SDS100, I have both Sentinel and ProScan. I find ProScan to be a whole new learning curve,
so I am sticking with Sentinel right now. Since this is a whole new topic, I will start a new thread for it.
Besides, moderators will probably end up moving the thread to another forum. That irritates me to no end.

ranger2004

Premium Subscriber
If you two need a example load of Utah. I have a very in-depth load. I can share some of it to help you.
I have UnitIDs with user ex. Unit 2419 "6J Shared Car". Or " 56215 Lifeflight-23"
Most have been imported from Unitrunker as that is where I input the data on the fly. Have since 2000.

I think what I have will show help you understand quick key use.
If you dont understand those you will be lost using this scanner. Or you will only program very few items to scan.

PM me and then we can connect on discord or whatsapp, teams or whatever and I will help you guys out.

Brett

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
I'm game I'm on discord, I do have unit ID's on unitrunker iver entered in myself, it would be nice to find a way to get it to list the unit ID's from unitrunker onto sds100 units ID's , but idk if that can be done with 2 different programs like that....

ranger2004

Premium Subscriber
I'm game I'm on discord, I do have unit ID's on unitrunker iver entered in myself, it would be nice to find a way to get it to list the unit ID's from unitrunker onto sds100 units ID's , but idk if that can be done with 2 different programs like that....
I strip some columns and put them in the right places and import just fine. There is a limit I think I am maxed out on my sds.

N7YUO

I'm getting good scanning coverage on my SDS100 from Kearns.
Besides SL County, I can receive Davis, Weber, and I tried scanning Idaho.
I actually got a few comms, scratchy but receivable on 158.850 Oneida EMS.

I took some screenshots of the steps of programming with Sentinel.

KB7ZVU

Premium Subscriber
I used to listen to a scanner during the mid-90s, but dropped the hobby after getting married. A year or so ago, I got back into the hobby after buying a couple of SDRs and monitoring via Trunk88 (yes, I'm aware it's an oldie). I've since moved to Unitrunker.

I'm interested in the UnitIDs that are associated with their corresponding RadioIDs. My hearing isn't as great as it once was, so picking out UnitIDs as it happens isn't as easy for me anymore.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I'm interested in the UnitIDs that are associated with their corresponding RadioIDs.

That could be tricky. In my neck of the woods, if an officer in car 309 is using a radio id of 7727147 today, and the radio ever has an issue, he is given another radio and while 7727147 gets repaired, it ends up in the hands of a different officer. Yet, I still log and tag radio id's. Out of the 7695 radios on one system alone, I have 5490 tagged, 430 associated with correct agency and 1775 totally unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.