How to lock out a talk group 396xt...

Jennifer_rose

Premium Subscriber
I have a 396xt and 996t, program with Freescan.

I want to prevent the unit from ever stopping on a few talkgroups. This is an issue while in ID search. Some new encrypted talk groups are popping up and every time they key up it gives a very quick and loud pop/squeal noise. I have tried double tapping the lockout button but it is so fast I cant catch it half the time. They pop back up next power cycle so I am obviously doing something wrong. I would like to be able to just find a way to program the radio so it will always ignore specific talk groups in ID search.

wtp

one way is when they are on/beeping/R2D2 talking, hit the HOLD button and then lockout twice.
if you know the talkgroup number hit hold, type in the number and then lockout twice, repeat as needed.
the XT's needed it twice, the T's once.

Jennifer_rose

Premium Subscriber
one way is when they are on/beeping/R2D2 talking, hit the HOLD button and then lockout twice.
if you know the talkgroup number hit hold, type in the number and then lockout twice, repeat as needed.
the XT's needed it twice, the T's once.
Didnt think of trying to hold on it first! Thanks. If I really pay attention with my finger on the button I can catch it. Otherwise it blips so fast sometimes that I cant even catch the talkgroup on the display.

Will that lock it out of the unit or just the site? I have several overlapping sites and groups for specific reasons.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have a 396xt and 996t, program with Freescan.

I want to prevent the unit from ever stopping on a few talkgroups. This is an issue while in ID search. Some new encrypted talk groups are popping up and every time they key up it gives a very quick and loud pop/squeal noise. I have tried double tapping the lockout button but it is so fast I cant catch it half the time. They pop back up next power cycle so I am obviously doing something wrong. I would like to be able to just find a way to program the radio so it will always ignore specific talk groups in ID search.
You can press the Function key (the top button on the left side of the scanner) and then press Lockout. Don't delay on hitting the lockout; the 'Function' key selection expires after a few seconds.

You can also use the Virtual Control in FreeSCAN. The log will show all talkgroups being received. For the ones that you don't want, just put them in a group that is locked out. Once you lock out that group, ID Scan will no longer stop on any of the talkgroups in it. If in a locked out group, it;s not necessary to manually lock out each individual TGID.

Obviously, you don't want to lock out the site. Just be sure to lock out the undesired TGIDs.

Jennifer_rose

Premium Subscriber
Hiegtx, one of the problems is that it does not stay on the encrypted talk group while they are talking. It gives an insanely quick pop at the start of the transmission but thats it. I can lock out the talk group on a site but when I go to ID search in another group it still pops up. Several counties use the same control channel including a city that uses it's own dispatch separate from the county.

tvengr

Well Known Member
but when I go to ID search in another group it still pops up.
ID Search receives all talkgroups on the system whether they are locked out or not. ID Scan receives only the talkgroups programmed and not locked out. If you press HOLD while in ID Scan, you can step through all of the talkgroups one at a time. You will be able to see which talkgroups you already locked out. Look in the database to see which are encrypted. You can either lockout or delete each of the encrypted talkgroups.

Last edited:

Jennifer_rose

Premium Subscriber
ID Search receives all talkgroups on the system whether they are locked out or not. ID Scan receives only the talkgroups programmed and not locked out. If you press HOLD while in ID Scan, you can step through all of the talkgroups one at a time. You will be able to see which talkgroups you already locked out. Look in the database to see which are encrypted. You can either lockout or delete each of the encrypted talkgroups.
And that is why I posted the question. I am wondering if/how to permanently lock out a talk group in ID search as it only seems to temporarily lock them out. Is there a way to lock out/block a talkgroup from the scanner regardless of other settings? They broadcast that talk group on other sites so if I do an ID search it comes up active again.

tvengr

Well Known Member
In your programming software, you can lockout or delete a talkgroup on a system and it will be locked out or deleted for every site for the BCD396XT. Unfortunately, the BCD396T supports only a single site per system. It would need to be locked out or deleted on each system using that talkgroup. It will be easier doing the lockouts and deletions in the software rather than in the scanner.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
ID search does not scan all talk groups regardless of lockout status, ID search scans all non-avoided TG's in the favorites list, plus any TG's not in a favorite list that are active and not avoided, you can avoid TG's found during search the same as if they are in a favorites list. To review the TG's locked out during search go to Program system>Select System>Edit Sys Options> Review ID Search L/O. The best way to deal with TG's found that you do not want to see again is to program them into a favorites list and permanently avoid them and they will not appear during a search. This applies to the 396XT, I'm not sure about the 396T.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
System+ Group= Favorites list, there is still a list of TG's that are part of the system that you program, just different verbiage.

KQA726

On the 396T, I think you can press "hold" then "enter" the ENC talkgroup calling it "Enc" and then rotate the dial up and down until you get to Lockout status and then select "Lockout".
Now, whether that stays locked out after you cycle power, not sure about that on the 396T or 396XT?

tvengr

Well Known Member
On the 396T, I think you can press "hold" then "enter" the ENC talkgroup calling it "Enc" and then rotate the dial up and down until you get to Lockout status and then select "Lockout".
Now, whether that stays locked out after you cycle power, not sure about that on the 396T or 396XT?
If you lockout or delete talkgroups in the software, you don't need to go through all of that trouble in the scanner with each individual talkgroup. All of the talkgroups will be visible at once in the software and you just go down the line and lockout or delete any you do not want to scan. Once that is done in the software and you write to the scanner, the job will be done.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
ID Search receives all talkgroups on the system whether they are locked out or not.

If a TG is Locked Out, it will not be received - even in ID SEARCH.

Are these encrypted TGs shown in the RR database? If they are you can program them in a Group called ENC and lock them out. This is even easier if using software to program the scanner.

Jennifer_rose

Premium Subscriber
If a TG is Locked Out, it will not be received - even in ID SEARCH.

Are these encrypted TGs shown in the RR database? If they are you can program them in a Group called ENC and lock them out. This is even easier if using software to program the scanner.
I must have done something wrong or am just not catching them all in time. I will go over everything again though, thank you. I use freescan for programming. Instead of creating a new group, couldn't I just add the talk group to an existing group but lock out just the encrypted stuff?

The city in question has recently gone encrypted. They added and changed talkgroups and doubt few if any have made the database as I was the first to notice this a few months back.