How to make and or set up a repeater out of a mobile radio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9-cop

How do you go about setting up a repeater using just a mobile radio? I know one of our old UHF repeaters was just that, a mobile with some sort of antenna hooked to a battery charger. How is this done?

fineshot1

It should be noted that this is not the best way to build a repeater. It is really a compramize and if you have no other choices available to you. Using a mobile as a repeater transmitter has its limitations - they tend to build up heat very quickly when pressed into repeater service and you must install fans to cool them and throttle the power back on them....

Sonar

Some mobile radios, those with dual VFO's, have the ability to crossband repeat. Not ideal for a dedicated repeater, but okay for emergency or temp use.

N

N_Jay

Also, (for those who care), he stability requirements for a repeater are tighter then a mobile, so an FCC type accepted mobile transmitter MAY not be FCC Type accepted for a repeater.

Al42

NYC Traffic Department Verrazanno Bridge repeater was a Motorola U44BBT with modifications. Worked for years. The only problem was getting up there - no elevator.

elk2370bruce

How will this repeater be licensed? The frequencies used will determine what license is needed and may also require some "frequency coordination" to ensure that there is no interference with existing services on adjacent frequencies. Please consider these elements in your planning.

rescuecomm

I presume you are either going to use it on GMRS or on amatuer radio. I have built two repeaters out of Motorola micor radios and they both worked okay. The older trunk mount radio's use crystal heaters in the channel elements and as a rule, can easily meet the freq stability requirements. It is still a lot of work to do, when you can buy desktop repeaters like the Vertex VXR7000 for about $1200. I have seen some desktop units go on ebay for less than $600. Unless you are just a glutton for punishment or an experimenter, it "aint worth the effort"!

Status
Not open for further replies.