• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How to monitor a conventional site (SLR5500 repeater) with RDAC software remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

salarazad

Hello everybody!

I've been testing the RDAC monitoring software with our SLR5500 repeater; connecting the repeater directly to my PC via the programming cable has no problems and I can add it (local mode) in the software and monitor it as expected, but I'm looking for a way to monitor it remotely (remote mode) so how can I achieve that?

If I connect the Repeater to the internet through the Ethernet cable, would it be possible to add it in the Remote Mode if my PC was connected to the same internet through WiFi or an Ethernet cable?

Thank you!

note: we are not using any trunking system or IP network system, just a conventional system with repeaters.

celltech25

Yes you can do this over the internet or your internal intranet.

If your doing it internal I would assign the repeater a Static IP to make it easier, if you use DHCP it will change on ya and you would need to look up the ip after each change.

if your doing it over the web you would need a static public facing IP that you could but in the repeater and then use that IP in RDAC and it will connect right up.

salarazad

If your doing it internal I would assign the repeater a Static IP to make it easier, if you use DHCP it will change on ya and you would need to look up the ip after each change.

if your doing it over the web you would need a static public facing IP that you could but in the repeater and then use that IP in RDAC and it will connect right up.
Thank you for the suggestion and thorough explanation, It seems a very good solution, I will try it and hope to get it.

salarazad

I've tried to connect remotely to the repeater using the repeater IP address I got from the CPS 2 software, but it is not possible.

In the remote setting of the RDAC, what should I choose as the system type? as we don't have IP sites, we only have a conventional repeater with no IP connection, but I've connected it directly to the internet with an Ethernet cable.

In the CPS 2 software, how the configuration parameters should be for the Network and Link Establishment sections? do I need to modify them?

The attached picture is for references. Thank you!
The attCPS Link Establishment.pngCPS Network.pngRDAC Remote Connection.png

TampaTyron

Beep Boop, Beep Boop
Premium Subscriber
Repeater IP you are using is for connecting it to a programming cable. If you want to use this over IP, then you will need to either determine the IP that the repeater is pulling over DHCP OR set the repeater's LAN IP in the network settings field. TT

hockeyref2

I have local access to a slr 5700 and xpr 8400. I don't have them linked, so I have each set as a 'master'. I set the master IP the same as the static IP I am using for each repeater.
On your network settings screenshot, the repeater IP is showing as 192.168.1.10. Somewhere there is a checkbox to turn off DHCP and you could set it manually if you want too.. (it might be on a different page. I normally use radio management now)
Then in RDAC, you need 192.168.1.10 (not 192.168.10.1) I think that IP is an internal radio IP for like when you plug it into the USB...

N1GTL

Database Admin
I think you can only use RDAC for linked systems in the manner you are trying, meaning digital. Is it even digital? I do not see that mentioned.

If it is a single site TRBO, set it up for IPSC and MASTER. It will not care if no other repeaters are reporting to it. Have RDAC connect to the IP you assign. Default is port 50000 and make sure you give RDAC a different ID than the repeater has.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't need to be setup for IPSC. I've got analog repeaters monitored. That repeater just needs to be a link establishment master repeater.

salarazad

Repeater IP you are using is for connecting it to a programming cable. If you want to use this over IP, then you will need to either determine the IP that the repeater is pulling over DHCP OR set the repeater's LAN IP in the network settings field. TT
I've turned off the DHCP option and set a fixed IP address, and use it as the Master IP address but still cannot connect to it. should both my PC and the repeater should be connected to the same intranet? or any over the web connection is enough?

salarazad

I have local access to a slr 5700 and xpr 8400. I don't have them linked, so I have each set as a 'master'. I set the master IP the same as the static IP I am using for each repeater.
On your network settings screenshot, the repeater IP is showing as 192.168.1.10. Somewhere there is a checkbox to turn off DHCP and you could set it manually if you want too.. (it might be on a different page. I normally use radio management now)
Then in RDAC, you need 192.168.1.10 (not 192.168.10.1) I think that IP is an internal radio IP for like when you plug it into the USB...
I've followed these instructions and set a fixed IP and address and in the Link establishment, I used the same Ethernet IP as the Master IP and used it in the RDAC to connect to the repeater but it cannot connect.
Should the repeater and the PC be connected to the same intranet? or any internet connection would be fine? and do I need to set an authentication key?

salarazad

I think you can only use RDAC for linked systems in the manner you are trying, meaning digital. Is it even digital? I do not see that mentioned.

If it is a single site TRBO, set it up for IPSC and MASTER. It will not care if no other repeaters are reporting to it. Have RDAC connect to the IP you assign. Default is port 50000 and make sure you give RDAC a different ID than the repeater has.
We are using an analog system but I heard that it could be used for analog systems also, but I'm not sure.
I've selected the IP Site Connection in the RDAC and used the same Master IP address I set with the CPS2 software, but no luck.
What the RDAC ID means? because in the CPS2 software I cannot find this option to set?

salarazad

It doesn't need to be setup for IPSC. I've got analog repeaters monitored. That repeater just needs to be a link establishment master repeater.
The problem is that in the RDAC software, there are only 3 options to select (IP Site Connect (IPSC), Capacity Plus, Linked Capacity Plus), so I'm choosing the IPSC option. And in the CPS2 there are only 2 options for the IP Site Connect section (Beacon Duration, Beacon Interval) and I'm not modifying them, so I'm not configuring anything special for the IPSC? any suggestion if this is important?

Firebuff880

@salarazad

What you are trying to do can not be done.. You need to be running two copies of the RDAC system one for each repeater --

Then you need a Network Address Translation (NAT) in your site Firewall so that each repeater has a NAT mapped addressable IP and you should probably make it static as set it in CPS for the Repeater. the 192 you pointed out earlier is the IP for the Shim of the USB adapter interface not the Ethernet NIC.

salarazad

@salarazad

What you are trying to do can not be done.. You need to be running two copies of the RDAC system one for each repeater --

Then you need a Network Address Translation (NAT) in your site Firewall so that each repeater has a NAT mapped addressable IP and you should probably make it static as set it in CPS for the Repeater. the 192 you pointed out earlier is the IP for the Shim of the USB adapter interface not the Ethernet NIC.
In my case, I have only one repeater, and I'm configuring it as a Master, but it has no peers, and I'm trying to connect to it directly.
I checked the DHCP tick mark in the NAT configurations, is this correct? or I need to set a fixed NAT IP address?

Firebuff880

In my case, I have only one repeater, and I'm configuring it as a Master, but it has no peers, and I'm trying to connect to it directly.
I checked the DHCP tick mark in the NAT configurations, is this correct? or I need to set a fixed NAT IP address?

You need the One to One for RDAC to work. You can use DHCP, but you have to know what the IP assigned to the Repeater is to connect to it with RDAC. So I would either do a static reservation in your DHCP server or a Static private IP assignment in CPS.

salarazad

Finally I was able to connect to the repeater remotely, my simple issue is that I was connecting the repeater with an Ethernet cable, and connecting my PC where the RDAC is installed to a WiFi but these two networks were not connected internally, and the IP ranges I was using were not supported by the network.

After contacting the IT guys, they provided me with an extra Ethernet cable for the PC, and also a static IP address to use for the Repeater, so I used this IP as an Ether IP address and also as a Master IP address, and it worked perfectly.

Than you all for the answers!

Status
Not open for further replies.